Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a choice of cues pls :)

Hi all,

My first post here on this wonderful/informative forum is a question regarding a cuemaker that is held in high regard on these forums.

I will get straight to it.
    My question is, is a entry level Wooldridge cue ie his Shark range (butterfly splice) on par with say craftmans ultimate with conventional hand splice?
    being similar... what would you guys choose and why?

Answers on a postcard...........
    Thanks
    Last edited by Enzo; 20 May 2008, 05:00 PM.

Wooldrigde any day. I would choose him because of his service, his craftsmanship.

Read his website .. www.handmadecues.com

Comment

My question would be is the same effort put into the bottom of the range, and does mike make these himself. And also is the craftsman 'Classic' range made in the UK? Not too sure about that. I'd go with the craftsman standard range at the price but to be fair I've never tried a shark cue.
      Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

id reckon theyd both be not too far apart, but id probably choose Mike after reading his posts on here.

Comment

Yes the Craftsman Classic range are made in the UK, as I have ordered one myself and Simon at the company confirmed all UK made.

Comment

I would personally go with the Craftsman - they look a lot nicer and seems like you get more cue for your money, from a design point of view anyway. Best bet would be to see if you can get your hands on both a craftsman and a Mike Wooldridge cue and compare the two. You may find you like one more than the other. If Mike made the same style of cue for the same money as the craftsman then I’d no doubt pick Mike, it’s not going to happen but in fairness you don’t just pay for the name with Mike’s cues. Ultimately it’s up to you as it’s your money but I don’t think you will go far wrong with whatever you choose really.

Comment

From the look and price of the Classic range from Craftsman I would say they are not made in UK
              Some of the range are machine spliced and would not be that price if they were UK made, they look just like Thai made cues I have seen.

However the standard range do have the look and price of UK made cues, plus the description states they are made on site, so this looks to be the UK made range.

Must admit they don't make it very clear to the average punter to know.

One good tip is look at the base joint ,if it's a small spiral joint then it's made in Thailand.
              Last edited by BITTER; 21 May 2008, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
                Hi all,

My first post here on this wonderful/informative forum is a question regarding a cuemaker that is held in high regard on these forums.

I will get straight to it.
                My question is, is a entry level Wooldridge cue ie his Shark range (butterfly splice) on par with say craftmans ultimate with conventional hand splice?
                being similar... what would you guys choose and why?

Answers on a postcard...........
                Thanks
                I would pick a Mike Wooldridge butterfly spliced cue over a craftsman.

It is because I think it would be a plainer looking but better made cue.

As a matter of fact, If I want to know what to expect in terms of hit, finish, and such from a Mike Wooldridge cue, I would probably start with a Shark cue.

I would buy a craftsman cue if I have tried one and really like the way it plays. I would not care if it has any fancy splicing though, becasue that would not be something I look for in a craftsman cue.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Far East?

I've been told that the cheaper Craftsman ranges are now made in the Far East!

I have a Hand made Craftsman (Custom Cue hand made in Kippax) it was made for me around 5 Years ago.

I have just got my Trevor White cue, well around 3 weeks ago.

In comparison, well there is none really besides them both having a tip and a butt.

Trevor’s Cues are by far the better quality. If you want a good cue, call Trevor. If you want a really really good cue, call Trevor.
                  Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

I agree Trevor great balance of quality and price!
                    Always my first recommendation.
                    Craftsman cues are very good value though!
                    If Simon says that they are made in the UK they are made in the UK. I think all Craftsman have the same joints Bitter. They don't sell two sets of accessories.
                    The nice thing about Craftsman is that you can go to the shop play with 20 cues and chat to the people who made them. See where they're made even! If you're buying over the internet then it's not the same.

Not played with a "Shark" as far as I can see everything Mike makes is good but expensive. If you like the look of them you could try and write a review on here.

Comment

the classic range are not made in the uk and i am sure simon would confirm that - however they are finished in the uk. where a cue is made is not important - they are still very nice cues!!
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

True I've seen some lovely Thai made cues!
                        You got anything in that might be around this price range?

Comment

not really - i am looking for him - mike does not have many sharks either. i can get the craftsmans easily enough. he might need to get in touch with green baize (stu) or bitter (paul) at this price range.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I've dealt with Stu at greenbaize he's a good chap!
                            Worth checking the website!

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              the classic range are not made in the uk and i am sure simon would confirm that - however they are finished in the uk. where a cue is made is not important - they are still very nice cues!!
                              When you say finished in the uk, from what point are they finished? ie what processes are done in the uk?
                              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X