No announcement yet.

Air-lock joint patent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am desperate to try this now.................
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

How much does the joint weigh if you dont mind my asking?

Comment

Originally Posted by Qubit View Post
        How much does the joint weigh if you dont mind my asking?
        All the prototypes I had made are now in cues, when the first two batches are ready I'll weigh one for you.
        I have had them made with 30mm flats which can be turned down to suit the position in the cue, this will obviously reduce the weight in the final product.

Comment

Have you undergone any stress testing? I only ask as I would be worried about the wear rate as there does not appear to be any vertical stabilty on the join, plus there are alot of people who over tighten things and over time this may cause damage. Im sure there will be a time where the join will just be worn out that it no longer secures correctly. And I have visions of players using the cue and the shaft shooting off down the other end of the table. At least if the old thread join was not correctly tighted it would still stay in place and not some off.

Another thing. If the female join was to crack and split, is there a chance the shaft or butt would be damaged?

I dont know, and this is just my thoughts on it.
          sigpic <---New Website
          Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
            Have you undergone any stress testing? I only ask as I would be worried about the wear rate as there does not appear to be any vertical stabilty on the join, plus there are alot of people who over tighten things and over time this may cause damage. Im sure there will be a time where the join will just be worn out that it no longer secures correctly. And I have visions of players using the cue and the shaft shooting off down the other end of the table. At least if the old thread join was not correctly tighted it would still stay in place and not some off.

Another thing. If the female join was to crack and split, is there a chance the shaft or butt would be damaged?

I dont know, and this is just my thoughts on it.
            Very Good Questions
            The joint can be turned (by machine) full 360 degrees, taken apart, and it still works.
            Over tightening is not possible, it takes the same amount of force to release as it does to tighten.
            The female section is no more likely to crack than any other joints.
            The same joint principle is used to secure the shock absorbers in the VW Golf, to replace similar diameter nuts and bolts that were liable to failure, they are also used in the S Class Mercedes to secure the boot assembly.

Comment

Thankyou, sounds good.

Just an idea (I dont want to interfere) but if you placed a lug either side and a spiral channel on the female join, would this make the join more secure? Also it would enable splice/grain matching?? I just wonder as I can see no way the join can match.

See pic as example

Last edited by totlxtc; 5 June 2008, 03:21 PM.
              sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Thankyou, sounds good.

Just an idea (I dont want to interfere) but if you placed a lug either side and a spiral channel on the female join, would this make the join more secure? Also it would enable splice/grain matching?? I just wonder as I can see no way the join can match.

See pic as example

Absolutely Quality Pic
                Adding a lug wouldn't be required as the joint is already very secure indeed.
                The spiral is also a good idea but the locking points run vertically along the full length of both the male and female sections.
                The cues I have are have been aligned along the grain with the use of small dots, as the joint will lock in three positions. This is obviously not required for the mini butt or extension, and is a small price to pay for the quality of the join.

Comment

Originally Posted by stan-mullin View Post
                  As can be seen from the video on the web site it has three locking positions, so you can have a 33.3% adjustment without altering the face, although I never tried it I imagine reducing the face only gives fine adjustment.
                  i can't work out how it works from the video. i'm just getting more and more confused....

Just an idea but if you placed a lug either side and a spiral channel on the female join, would this make the join more secure? Also it would enable splice/grain matching??

See pic as example

good drawing. i take it you're some kind of engineer? glad some people appear to understand the principle.

but i still don't see how it actually works.

i'm gonna give up asking questions and wait to see a sample cos this is going over my head at the moment.

i'm sure all will become clear when it's in my hands.

good luck stan.

p.s. totlxtc, if i send you pics of my new join, will you be able to a drawing like above for me?
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Brilliant. Thank you, you answered perfectly.

Well good luck and I hope all goes well
                    sigpic <---New Website

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikewooldridge View Post
                      good drawing. i take it you're some kind of engineer?

p.s. totlxtc, if i send you pics of my new join, will you be able to a drawing like above for me?
                      I used to be a exhibiton designer and now im a Illustrator/Animator/Designer.

Re: Illustration. Sure no problem. Send me the pics you need done and i can get some style samples to you so you can be happy with them. I can do them to scale also if that helps.

I have PM'd you some info.
                      sigpic <---New Website

Comment

• Mike
                        When you get the joint the male and female section look smooth, just to confuse you even more! I agree with you about that drawing by totlxtc, top notch.
                        Stan

Comment

• Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                          Brilliant. Thank you, you answered perfectly.

Well good luck and I hope all goes well
                          Thank you totlxtc, so do I! lol
                          Last edited by stan-mullin; 5 June 2008, 03:52 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally Posted by stan-mullin View Post
                            All the prototypes I had made are now in cues, when the first two batches are ready I'll weigh one for you.
                            I have had them made with 30mm flats which can be turned down to suit the position in the cue, this will obviously reduce the weight in the final product.
                            Thank you, i would be very interested to know as Im looking for a slightly lighter than normal joint.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Qubit View Post
                              Thank you, i would be very interested to know as Im looking for a slightly lighter than normal joint.
                              If you would like to e mail your details I'll send you one.

stan@1klik.co.uk

Comment

• Originally Posted by stan-mullin View Post
                                If you would like to e mail your details I'll send you one.

stan@1klik.co.uk
                                Cheers, thats very kind of you

Comment

Working...
                                X