Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling Cue...

Hi everyone,
    I've noticed a rattle enamating from my cue as of late, (TW cue) it seems to come from around the 3/4 joint and seems to vary with the tightness I screw it in, though it's far from consistent. One things for sure though, it feels bloody aweful, like my cue's suddenly transformed into a tunning fork! The joint's fairly clean and as far as I can tell there's no great disparity between the joint plates when screwed up together. I had the ferrule replaced a couple of weeks ago, but it looks a good job and I trust the guy who did it. Can anyone help me with this??
    Best regards,
    Steve Jervis.

are you shure its near to the joint and not the butt, and that the joint is secure and flush. it still could be the ferrule as if this isnt put back properly it can vibrate down the cue, tightening the joint can seem to get rid of this problem as the vibration wont be as intense, if the joint isnt as tight there will be a little more movement to increase the vibration but that doesnt mean to say that that is the area where the real problem is.

Comment

If it's a Trevor White cue why not just send it off to Trevor for a repair, seems the fastest route to get it sorted.
      Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

Originally Posted by LWB View Post
        If it's a Trevor White cue why not just send it off to Trevor for a repair, seems the fastest route to get it sorted.
        that's what i was thinking....

regardless, does it happen when you strike the cueball or when you 'tap' it on the side?

get ferrule checked first. surprising how sound travels.

or could be hairline 'fracture' in glue holding the join inside the cue. this doesn't make the join 'loose' as such and no sound can be heard when striking the ball but it will create the sound you are describing if you tap the cue on the side (which is not the recommended thing to so on any jointed cue by the way)

but anyway, contact trev. i'm sure he'd be only too pleased to help solve the problem. after all, he's better qualified than vague 'guesses' from forum posters in general...

don't mean you littlesense, your comments are quite sensible...
        Last edited by MikeWooldridge; 23 May 2008, 01:53 PM.
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Thanks for the fast relies guys, in answer to mike - it is a great deal more pronounced if I tap the shaft from the side, so it sounds as though you have the answer (?). Also, (sorry for the confusion) I meant Tony Wilsahw not Trev - has a shop in Burslem. Guess I'll have to pay him a visit, might be a while though, seriously skint right now.

Comment

lol. tw, not tw....

yeah, sounds like the join.

if it don't make a sound playing the shot, ignore it and save yourself some money....
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Will do, cheers mike.
              Have been thinking for a while I should look into buying a new cue anyway, will perservere with this one till I get some cash. Had this one about seven years now, while it's a good cue I never loved it, if you know what I mean.
              Thanks again,
              Steve.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikewooldridge View Post
                that's what i was thinking....

regardless, does it happen when you strike the cueball or when you 'tap' it on the side?

get ferrule checked first. surprising how sound travels.

or could be hairline 'fracture' in glue holding the join inside the cue. this doesn't make the join 'loose' as such and no sound can be heard when striking the ball but it will create the sound you are describing if you tap the cue on the side (which is not the recommended thing to so on any jointed cue by the way)

but anyway, contact trev. i'm sure he'd be only too pleased to help solve the problem. after all, he's better qualified than vague 'guesses' from forum posters in general...

don't mean you littlesense, your comments are quite sensible...
                Its ok i know what you mean and none taken lol

Comment

Working...
                X