X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friction

Hi,

I tried to search for but not really easy to find the exact topic

Can someone tell me how to reduce the friction between bridge hand and the cue? The more you play, obviously, the stickier it is to move.

How can I get rid of this (besides using a cloth which I tried but not work really well)?

Thanks everyone

Depends if you cue is varnished. If your cue is varnished then it will become sticky if you hand is warm. If it is oiled just wipe it down with a damp cloth.
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

I use baby powder on my bridge hand and sometimes, when the humidity is very high, i put baby powder on the shaft. Maybe it's not recomendable, but it helps me a lot.

Comment

Thanks all,

I used to do the same trick with baby powder, but after a while playing, I guess there will be more powder left on the table than from the chalk.

Comment

Try using cloth surgical tape. A small piece about 1" long on your forefinger just where the cue runs might just work got you. You can experiment with part of a cloth bandaid (I think you call them "plasters" over there); cloth, not plastic.

Comment

there will better ways than covering himself in bandages!

re-strip then linseed.

Comment

Originally Posted by screwball View Post
              Try using cloth surgical tape. A small piece about 1" long on your forefinger just where the cue runs might just work got you. You can experiment with part of a cloth bandaid (I think you call them "plasters" over there); cloth, not plastic.
              Im sorry but ive never seen anyone using band-aids! lol

And maybe the crucible should have a talc bowl like they have for weight lifting!
              sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Souns like you have a varnished cue. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing and they'll take the varnish off and give it an oiled finish......problem solved.

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                Depends if you cue is varnished. If your cue is varnished then it will become sticky if you hand is warm. If it is oiled just wipe it down with a damp cloth.

Comment

I agree with the above post, what I do is go and wash my hands throughly after a frame, try not to make them hot after you wash your hands, but them not too cold to lose the feel of the shot and your touch, which is what will happen if your hands are too cold. Make sure your hands are dry properly.

If you have a drink of Coke (my favourite!) or something else and the outside of the glass is cold and wet, and your touch the glass, then your hands are wet which will automatically make your cue sticky because it will stick in the hands. I'm not sure if you take notice of drying your hands, but it will help.

Here is some more information- http://handmadecues.com/info/20-cuecare.htm

Comment

try different things out....

clean the cue properly before playing and also your hands

have a damp cloth and a dry one (towel) and use them to rub down the cue when it feels sticky. dont have the damp one too wet, and immediately wipe the cue dry with the other towel.

if playing for a while do so routinely before the cue gets sticky...every two frames say..

some folk like a little bit of very fine powder on their bridge V from time to time in extremely hot conditions to let the cue glide. this is an option, but it may depend on the finish (if any) on your cue as to whether or not you try that.

Comment

I wrote this up on another post. No real need to take it to someone to get it oiled as its easy to do by yourself. You just need time and patience.

"Whenever i need to oil/clean up my cue i go through several processes as preparation is everything. Ive used raw and boiled and never really noticed a difference except the drying times and the fact boiled tends to add a little more age to the cue. Which sometimes is never a bad thing.

This is only for cues that have NOT been treated with varnish

1) Using very very fine grade wire wool (0000) i clean the joints and ferrel. On the ferrel try to stick to one direction, otherwise you will get a very fine scratchy effect.

2) Wipe cloth down with ever so slightly damp cloth and immediately wipe dry with a clean towel.

3) Then take the fine wire wool on the shaft and rub in a downwards direction, but not too hard, just enough to smooth. NEVER! go in different directions.

4) Now get a small piece of fine wire wool and add a little linseed oil to it and rub onto the cue. This helps the oil get into the wood.

5) Leave 12 hours

6) With a lint free cloth, buff up the cue. But make one pass first as there maybe bits of wire wool deposited. Then shake the cloth before continuing.

7) Now apply evenly using a rag more linseed oil and leave another 12 hours.

8) With a lint free cloth, buff up the cue.

If the cue is not lovely and shiny by then i go back and repeat till i get the desired look. Hope that helps"
                      sigpic <---New Website

Comment

There is of course an even simpler way to stop a cue getting sticky.

Stop pickin yer nose yer dirty buggers!

Comment

Working...
                        X