Can snooker cues be used for pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can snooker cues be used for pool?

I see in ebay that most snooker cues are being sold like snooker ,pool cues...

Could someone play pool with a snooker cue?
    Won't it destroy the cue?
    Is it just a marketing trick?

Originally Posted by oselifer View Post

From personal experience, I use my Dufferin Spirit ash snooker cue with its 10mm tip very regularly (3-4 times a week) playing American pool out here in the Sacramento area, with no ill effects. I find it a little bit tricky in terms of break-off shots as it's harder to generate power on the bigger balls; then again, even those who use full-sized pool cues will often have their own seperate break cue anyway. For potting balls I find it to be pretty good, and that most missed shots come from operator issues, not equipment error. :snooker:

When Ronnie O'Sullivan first played in the Mosconi Cup about 11 years ago, he used his snooker cue (though by the time he did the International Pool Tour events, he had his own seperate cue for pool if I am not mistaken).
    "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

Originally Posted by oselifer View Post

I use a 8.5mm tip in UK 8 pool and would not dream of using it for snooker as the balls are heavier and would not want to damage my cue, but I know some people who do use small tips in snooker.
      sigpic <---New Website
      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Can easily play UK 8 ball pool with a snooker cue, you might not get quite as much action as a 9mm or slightly less tip (most snooker cues these days are between 9.5-10mm), but it really shouldn't make too much difference. 9mm is generally seen as a minimum for snooker. I wouldn't dream of playing 9 ball pool with any snooker cue i cared for in anyway.

Comment

I have with old cues but I wouldn't with my playing cue!
          US pool is better with a tip over 10mm anyway!
          I have seen four cues made to UK pool spec snap at the ferrule while playing snooker so beware!
          Thinking about it it's 3 not 4 but one of them has snapped twice!

Having said this my Dad could hit ten pin bowling balls with his 8mm Riley Burwat it's indestructible!

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
            I have seen four cues made to UK pool spec snap at the ferrule while playing snooker so beware!
            Thinking about it it's 3 not 4 but one of them has snapped twice!
            What I'm wondering is what those ferrules were made out of, since snooker cues use brass ferrules, and American pool cues use plastic ferrules.

Comment

the simple answer is yes but as a rule a uk pool cue has a tip from 8-9mm and a snooker cue from 9-10mm
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ijkl343
                Twenty percent of your water need will come from the foods you eat. The rest of your water need should come from the beverages you drink. alternative medicine is the best choice. Sodas have a lot of sugar in them, so if you drink sodas, you may take in more calories than you need. Herbal teas that aren't diuretic are fine.
                SPAM SPAM SPAM....Kick, boot and ban!
                sigpic <---New Website
                Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

torture them first.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
                    What I'm wondering is what those ferrules were made out of, since snooker cues use brass ferrules, and American pool cues use plastic ferrules.
                    Brass mate!

Comment

I suppose you could use Snooker cues for Pool and Pool cues for Snooker. One of the main reasons for players not doing that and actually getting seperate cues is because the tip size may not be right. For English Pool the tip size is around 8-9mm. For Snooker it is 9.5-10.5mm and American Pool 12-13mm. So you will always have a tip that is either too small or too big for the game you are playing if you switch between games with the same cue.

You do not want to break your cue either, as said above.

Predator have all sorts of new technology in their American Pool cues. Getting one of those for pool would be very nice!

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
                        Predator have all sorts of new technology in their American Pool cues. Getting one of those for pool would be very nice!
                        This begs a good question that I've seen asked before:

In terms of cue manufacture, American pool cuemaking and British traditional snooker cue manufacture are entirely different in their approach; why hasn't there been any real crossover between the two?

Comment

Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
                          This begs a good question that I've seen asked before:

In terms of cue manufacture, American pool cuemaking and British traditional snooker cue manufacture are entirely different in their approach; why hasn't there been any real crossover between the two?
                          So you mean why isn't their a mixture between the two?

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
                            So you mean why isn't their a mixture between the two?
                            Yeah, there seems to be a Chinese wall between the two as far as sharing concepts/technology is concerned.

American pool cues generally...

...have a "wrap" or "grip"
                            ...adorn themselves with plastic ferrules
                            ...can be made from several different woods (other than the classic maple/ash) or even a graphite coating around wood
                            ...don't have much emphasis on splicing, machined or otherwise
                            ...get very experimental as far as technology is concerned (i.e. Predator's wood composites)
                            ...are either one-piece or straight up two-piece

snooker cues...

...have "spades" (the flat spot on the butt end)
                            ...usually use brass ferrules
                            ...one-piece or 3/4 are the general types available, though the half-split 2-piece was more common in the late 70s/early 80s
                            ...splicing is more important, and in general, the ebony/maple-or-ash pairing is the most common (though I can think of plenty of other woods involved here)

What I am curious about is what performance advantages any of those things offer, and whether those things are really game-specific or based on local tradition.

Comment

Good post there.

In my opinion, I just love the feel of traditional Snooker and English Billiards cues, I am not always interested in the new technology, groundbreaking buisiness. Even though it may be good, some of it is just experiements.

I do think Predator make good cues, different to the traditional, but I like the Snooker cues!

Comment

Working...
                              X