Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to buy a cue?

Hi guys,

I have just discovered the website - seems like a great resource! Unfortunately I have had a look but not really found an answer to my question.

Snooker has been an infrequent activity for me until about 6 months ago since when I have been playing 2 or 3 hours a week and actually starting to improve. I am very much a beginner but have got to the point that I can start to string together a small break - but i do mean small, I dont think I have gone more than 7 balls. Up until now I have been using one of the 'public' cues at the club which seems ok but i do worry about the tip.

So my questions are:

1) Am I far enough down the line that I should consider a cue or should I persist longer?

2) How would I decide what sort of a cue to get? Basically the only thing I know is that the cue I have been using is one piece and is a light wood with dark grain. As far as me, I am 5'8 so I presume a shortish cue is the way to go. At this stage, I tend to play quite firmly and do like to try to play with a lot of spin.

Thanks for your help

I say yes buy a cue, it will help you improve.
    I would recommed going to somewhere were you can try different cues to get a feel for what you like.

You don't need an especially short cue I wouldn't think.
    I think starting a standard spec cue is good:

57-58"
    9.5mm tip
    around 18oz weight

What are you thinking about your budget?
    What region do you live in I could maybe suggest a place to try some out.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

Budget was something I was not sure of. I have only really started playing because we have a couple of tables at the golf club and it costs me nothing to use them. I only have one guy to play with so it is hard to know how long my interest will hold! I would have liked to say £50 but my reading here and elsewhere seems to indicate that is a little bit on the low side. Is £100 enough to get a reasonably solid cue?

I am located in Belfast which probably limits my options! I do not honestly know whether I would know what actually 'feels' good!

Comment

Oh I don't know anywhere there.
        Look for a shop where you can try or a snooker club that sells cues maybe.

You will just like some cues better than others and just go with your instinct.

Otherwise you could maybe get a nice second hand cue for 50-100. Alwys a chance you won't get on with it but if your just starting I would think you'd get used to it.

I'll have a quick look what's on flea baby.

Comment

Not a great deal I could see on fleabay
          Have a look at these for ideas!

For the money I might go for a Peradon Royal because it's hand spliced. Not sure!
          You can see these on ebay or Thurstons site.
          A new Craftsman or Master for that money would probably be machine spliced (pointed splices).
          Here's a couple of places to have a look at.

http://www.greenbaize.com/budget.htm
          http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ssic_cues.html
          http://www.thurston.co.uk/Pages/Article.aspx?id=215 I would go fpr a royal
          http://www.shop.uk8ball.co.uk/index....2c194a7ce48b91 I'd go for the Master cue Lynx

Comment

From the tone of your reply I am guessing that you think it is perhaps a bit of a struggle at this money? I have been surfing around and I see these Wooldridge cues getting a lot of good press but the least expensive is £165 without case and, whilst affording it is not an issue, I do not know I can really justify that! Is there a middle ground between what I assume are 'average' cues as you detail and 'superb' cues like the wooldridge?

Thanks!

Comment

Below are some websites for various cue makers, some are expensive, some are cheaper, but hopefully they will help you in your search.

www.mastercue.th.com
              www.parriscues.com
              www.peradon.co.uk
              www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk
              www.gravitycue.com
              Last edited by bongo; 7 August 2008, 07:06 AM. Reason: Website

Comment

PM me I might be able to help you. if not i will know somebody who can!
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

o wow! do you really think its worth paying about 150 pounds for a cue stick? I mean for a beginner?! My first cue stick which i bought was just about 20pounds. That was when i started playing 5 years ago, i was about 13yrs old. It was not that bad though. Recently i bought a Master Tournament cue. It is a best value for money, its quite good. Shouldn't cost you more than 60 to 75 pounds for a good cue. No need the brand, its all about the feel. When you hold the cue in position you must feel that you can do it! When you strike the ball, the sound of the cue should bring confidence in you. Its not really worth paying 200 to 300 pounds for a fancy butt cue Maybe its for Ronnie O'Sullivan, Higgins or John Parrot. :snooker:

It should have a good shaft, and not too thick nor too thin. The experts says so

Comment

money spent on cues buys more than fancy butts.

Comment

Exactly! More you spend the better you get. All i was trying to say is, for a beginner its not worth paying that much, he might continue playing or not! After few days he might stop playing, and the cue is of no use, he'd put it in the corner. But if he is really serious about the game, then even if he spends 500pounds on the cue, its worth it. isnt it?

Comment

yes i guess that is true - in reality though if you give up the game a £150 is more likely to get you more of your money back when you sell it!

Comment

It depends how much of a beginner and how much £100 and odd is worth to you.
                          I've had a string of cues over the years and that has cost me a few quid.
                          If I'd bought a good one straight from the off I wouldn't of waisted money on £20, £50, £90 cues before getting a decent one. Not to mention the help having a cue long term is.

I decent cue is not usually a waste of money IMO. Worth keeping if you stop or sell it or even pass it on to a kid in the family or something. £20 cues are good for little more than fire wood.

Comment

in my opinion you'd be best off getting a second hand cue for around £100. that way you get a cue thats probably worth twice that new, and you can more than likely sell it for what you paid if you dont get on with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X