Red plate Hunt & O'byrne??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red plate Hunt & O'byrne??

Hi, anybody knows about old Hunt & O'byrne cues with red plate? I have seen one, which is old, and it is machine spliced, but is it really made by H & O, or is it just cheap import with their plate on it? I dont have photo from cue, but it has joint in middle and 10mm tip (i think). Well, that cue is for sale, and owner sells it for 70 euros (55 pounds). Is it bad idea to buy that cue? It has one scratch on shaft but its pretty straight.

I know green and black plate cues are very rare (my friend have green plate cue), but are those red plate cues valuable?

thanks for any help

Red Plate

The red plate cues are just a bit cheaper than the green plate ones, however after a vist and testing of the cues at their shop I ended up with a new red plate cue 4 months ago and I've been very happy with it. Price was not an issue for me and I had previously played with a Parris for 15yrs. There is not substitute for hitting some balls with a cue. Sometimes one just feels better that the rest, I tried most of the cues they had for sale, Black's Green's and Red plates. (I didn't try the Blue's, they are machine splices and I wanted a hand spliced cue). The only thing I have heard about these cues is that the 3/4 joints are quite heavy and can be problematic so I brought a one piece.
    I'd certainly recommend them.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks Rojjj, but I asked about Hunt & O'byrne, not Osbourne
      Thanks for recommending them, but cue I am going to buy is more than 10 years old, and machine spliced. But I would like to know are they common or rare cues these days?

Comment

Well Osborne kind of carried on in the same vain as Will Hunt and now they are back together as Hunt and Osborne.

I think the old Hunt cues that weren't green or black plates were made by someone else (maybe Aeon?) and finished by them. I too thought that the blues were machine and the red hand though. I'll try to find out more.

Comment

I checked Osbornes sites and he sells also machine spliced cues (blue plate)
          starting from 165 pounds. I think if I can get my hands to over 10 years old O´byrne cue with 55 pounds its a good deal!

Even if it isnt so rare than other plates, i know a little bit of cues history. 10 years ago it belonged to one of Finlands best players, who played with Robin Hull back then.

Maybe it still has some magic in it like it had back then.

Comment

I finally got cue from seller. It has four lower splices of tulipwood (or bubinga),
            red plate on butt which says Hunt & O'byrne London.
            Tip size is 10mm (i think so)
            Joint is very long (maybe 5 cm)
            cue has ash shaft
            I dont know lenght
            And now I noticed a stamped letters in butt: PSP or maybe P5P cant see clearly

Now I would like to know, if there is any experts who could tell me how old this cue maybe is?? Is it even possible to know?

Sorry, i dont have camera, so I cant get picture of cue here.

Comment

why not contact the original company? cannot understand.

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
                why not contact the original company? cannot understand.
                Because Hunt has retired, and doesnt make cues anymore (I think so), and O'byrne is dead???

So, I dont think Osborne knows about these cues so much he would know how old my cue is.

But, in the end, it doesnt matter how old it is, it plays beautifully.

Comment

i see........

Good that you have a good cue. I am thinking of getting a red plate myself.

Comment

Will Hunt still makes cues today and works with Robert Osbourne at his workshop in London. Will has a bad back and it stopped him working full time so he now only works part time. David O'byrne never had anything to do with making cues, he was Wills partner and did all the finances etc for the company.

The original 'Hunt & Obyrne' green badge and red badge cues were made by a company called Aeon. The cues that Will handmade were the black badge cues.........these cost a fortune back in the 1980s!!

Oldgit
                    'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

As I said earlier I thought it was Aeon but weren't the red plates hand spliced not machine (the machine are blue)?

If it plays well and you like it I wouldn't worry yourself.
                      If you want to know get Hunt and Osborne mailed.

Oh and everyone is spelling Osborne wrong it doesn't have a u!

Comment

its not our fault robert can't spell
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

The Green badge H&O cues were handspliced and made by Aeon!!

Will Hunt made handspliced 'black badged' cues which he held in stock in his shop and also made 'black badged' cues exactly to customers specifications. The price of these was £500+ even back in 1985/6!!

Two bits of publicity that 'made' John Parris and Hunt & O'byrnes names back then were Steve Davis famous Ye Olde Ash cue chopped in two (John Parris) and Jimmy White walked into Hunt & O'byrnes shop and selected a ready made black badge cue and made it his playing cue!!

Oldgit
                          'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

About the Andrew Higginson's cue

Just watched the match Mark Selby vs Andrew Higginson.
                            I noticed that the Andrew's cue(4 inch long from the tip) full of old chalk mark, how come?He didn't clean it everyday or every practice?

Comment

wrong posting sorry

Comment

Working...
                              X