Interesting cues from Down Under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I finally got one from them, and here's my review on the cue:

Let me start by complimenting them a bit: they're probably the FASTEST international shippers I've ever encountered on eBay. Bought and paid on Monday, and the cue got here on Wednesday . Oh yeah, it's a whole lot of bull that they're from Canada, the cue was shipped from China, but I guess it doesn't take Einstein to figure that part out from the start.

I got the one with Zebrawood, mainly because I liked the gold-colored long extension (apparently it's the ONLY one with gold extension amongst all the other cue sets). The package is just like what barracuda911 described, the case is absolute crap, i would only keep a broomstick in it. It was already falling apart by the time I undid the packaging (which they packed very well indeed, impressive). I sanded the whole thing and oiled it from top to bottom as well, quite surprised at the quality for the price I paid (aud80+ including shipping). The ebony was actual ebony and not painted on, even though it's not the best, darkest ebony, but at least it's not paint. The shaft was straight, and I was surprised the one I got came with a lot of chevrons (15+) and were all lined up with the nameplate. The cue tip is an absolute piece of crap, it's as if they went around to collect used cue tips from snooker halls. My tip literally shattered into pieces after I attempted to remove it. The weight is pretty good as well, mine's probably around the region of 19-19.5oz. Played a few frames with it and came to a conclusion: It's not even worth being put next to my Robin Cook, but it's almost on par with my old Parris Ultimate. Now I know there's a lot of people out there thinking I'm just another one of those people slating JP's cues, but this is quite the contrary, I'm just commending the "El Cheapo" cue (that's my nickname for it now), and not trying to shame JP cues. But I guess I might just give my El Cheapo to a friend of mine who's starting to get serious about snooker. All in all, I'd say this cue is a good gift idea for someone who's starting to pick up the game.

p/s: Oh yeah, both the short and long extensions actually fit Parris cues, so I guess I'm going to be using the extensions, give the cue away, and throw the crap case at filthy hobos asking for money on streets. So I guess I'm spending aud80+ bucks for the extension, acting thrifty among friends, while enjoying a bit of violence-induced laughter.

Comment

I bought a 3/4 case from this seller when he was active on ebay uk, it was £15.00 & £10.00 p&p. Arrived by fedex within 3 days of me paying, was packed very well. It is a good case that i used for over a year, I can actually just fit my 1 piece cue in it so its a longer than normal 3/4 case, I couldnt fault the whole sale, the case was cheap and worth every penny I paid for it, protects the cue well, made from leatherette, hes selling the same case but in real leather now for $100.00 Aus + $9.99 shipping about £50.00. I would recommend these cases to anyone looking for a good quality case.
      Last edited by jonashford; 20 September 2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

my dad bought a maple and cassia wood cue from this seller a while ago i think he paid £50 all in and to be honest thats all its worth its a piece of crap how you can say these cues are on par with parris ultimates is laughable at best they dont even come close.

Comment

Originally Posted by joe2311 View Post
          my dad bought a maple and cassia wood cue from this seller a while ago i think he paid £50 all in and to be honest thats all its worth its a piece of crap how you can say these cues are on par with parris ultimates is laughable at best they dont even come close.
          It's quite obvious different cues have different qualities too. A friend of mine got the maple shaft with maple wood one, and it was an absolute stinker. This can only come to one conclusion then:

Parris cues should be should at £50 at best

Comment

LOL
            I'm still using my 'el cheapo'. Like I said in a previuos post, I've put my 'good' Parris Traditional on the shelf and have been using the cheapie. I must have got a really good one, because most people have commented on how amazed they are by its cost vs quality..and playability.
            For now, its getting the job done....for now. Who knows, I might playa shot with it one day and the joints might fall out. But for now, she is my playing cue and will be until I get my hands on one of Mike's or Trevor's.

Comment

Originally Posted by spartacus_ck View Post
              It's quite obvious different cues have different qualities too. A friend of mine got the maple shaft with maple wood one, and it was an absolute stinker. This can only come to one conclusion then:

Parris cues should be should at £50 at best
              john parris is one of the best cue makers there is. his work is on par with any of the top makers i owned a maple ultimate cue number 925 a supreme and a classic all bought from parris new they where all very nice cues. anyone who can say parris cues should be £50 at most and that these cheap chinese cues are on par with is work clearly knows balls all about cues.

Comment

agreed i bought a couple when they first appeared, they are not great.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                  agreed i bought a couple when they first appeared, they are not great.
                  a bit of sence at last these cues are what they are cheap. i think they are ideal for a beginner at £50 for the lot its quite appealing like i said my dad has 1 but he only plays once a week with me and the 1 he has isnt bad after a change of tip for once a week snooker he's a 20 break player at best and it does what he needs it to.

Comment

john parris is one of the best cue makers there is. his work is on par with any of the top makers i owned a maple ultimate cue number 925 a supreme and a classic all bought from parris new they where all very nice cues. anyone who can say parris cues should be £50 at most and that these cheap chinese cues are on par with is work clearly knows balls all about cues.
                    If u had actually read through my post, u'd realize that first of all, i've already stated that I'm not here to condemn Parris cues in any way. I've own a couple of Parris cues myself, an Ultimate that's pre-numbered and more recently, a Supreme. I never said these cues are up there amongst the best there is, I only mentioned that they're good value for money. All i did was compared the cue with the Parris I owned, and my judgment is that these cues aren't too shabby when it's lined up against an old cue. I think people here can judge how good or bad Parris cues are, but then again, that's not the main point of this thread.

You are right about one thing, I know balls about cues, I only know how to knock balls in pockets with cues .

Comment

Umm I Think We Have Had The Un Numbered Ultimate Conversations On Here Before. :d
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        Umm I Think We Have Had The Un Numbered Ultimate Conversations On Here Before. :d
                        Mine's old, maybe around 12+ years, and it's an original Parris though. What was the un-numbered discussion about?

Comment

Working...
                        X