No announcement yet.

Best Cues at different ranges.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have to agree Joe, it does appear to be the case.

Comment

Is that because his (John Parris) workers do more of the cuemaking than he does?
      It would seem the case in the last few Parris cues I have seen.
      Like I've said in posts elsewhere, my old Parris is a beauty, and was more than likely made by the man himself, unlike a lot of the newer ones which the name badge is more of a 'brand'...and ultimately, the punters pay big $ for such.

Comment

maybe so. also i would like to ask trevor or mike do you think the quality of wood what cue makers are able to source now is better or worse quality than say 20/30 years ago

Comment

Originally Posted by joe2311 View Post
          i am not on the parris (band wagon) i play with a old maple club cue respliced by trevor white but unlike everyone else on this site who seem to think wooldridge and white are gods (as you say) parris just gets aload of **** from every member on here when he has clearly been the front runner in the cue buisness for the last 25 years thats the problem with this forum same old **** every new post best cue maker,best cue,best value cue, best looking cue bla bla bla . i would like to hazard a guese that most of the posters on this forum have'nt got a fooooking clue what they are talking about in the first place stop quoting what everyone else is saying and put somthing original up.
          Did i slate Parris cues?? No i said they were good but little overpriced. The old ones are better. You still have not contributed anything here to help others. The idea was to list a few cues from different makers or manufacturers to help people who visit this forum (Not neccessarly members) to get an idea of what cues to look for if they were after one. Yet you coe back cursing and swearing about slating parris cues an in fact if you read the posts no one has here at all. Some people may not be able to afford a Parris (Myself included). So please if you have nothing to say that is contributing anything, dont say anything at all. Thanks
          sigpic <---New Website
          Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

(the idea was to list a few cues from different makers) like i said same old **** different thread its been done hundreds of times already. as for overpriced he's no more expensive than wooldridge,osbourne,hunt,coutts or cook.

Comment

Well i tell you what. I wont try to start a thread! I wonder why people have left when there are people like you who cant type a sentence without having to swear. *Ferret can you delete this thread please, im sorry i tried to help others*
              sigpic <---New Website
              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

(the idea was to list a few cues from different makers) like i said same old **** different thread its been done hundreds of times already. as for overpriced he's no more expensive than wooldridge,osbourne,hunt,coutts or cook.
                Hi joe2311

i think parris gets the boot a little here simply because he doesnt do as much cue making as he use to. other people do.

when you buy a parris cue, who do you want to make it? John Parris himself or one of his "workers"?

or would you rather put your money into one of mike's or trevor's cues knowing that they made it?

this is the only reason why parris cues are said to be "buying the brand" instead of quality. we all know john can make some of the best cues out there. Only he isnt doing all of the making.

and thats the end of it

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                  Well i tell you what. I wont try to start a thread! I wonder why people have left when there are people like you who cant type a sentence without having to swear. *Ferret can you delete this thread please, im sorry i tried to help others*
                  hi totlxtc

this is a good thread and will help others

as far as i can see no 1 has done anything wrong to have this thread removed.

just a matter of preferences as you keep saying

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                    Hi joe2311

i think parris gets the boot a little here simply because he doesnt do as much cue making as he use to. other people do.

when you buy a parris cue, who do you want to make it? John Parris himself or one of his "workers"?

or would you rather put your money into one of mike's or trevor's cues knowing that they made it?

this is the only reason why parris cues are said to be "buying the brand" instead of quality. we all know john can make some of the best cues out there. Only he isnt doing all of the making.

and thats the end of it
                    how do you now how many cues john parris makes himself. even mike wooldridge as is team as he calls it to help him along i dont see why it matters who makes the cue at parris's as long as the guy who is making it knows what he's doing he probably has a few people there who can make a cue as good as he can but they get no rec because there working for parris and not the other way round how many cue makers make all of there cues without any help whatsoever ?(buying the brand) so are you not doing that when you buy a wooldridge,white or coutts cue if there name wasnt on it theres no way people would pay £300/£800 for a cue.
                    Last edited by joe2311; 21 September 2008, 11:44 PM.

Comment

how do you now how many cues john parris makes himself. even mike wooldridge as is team as he calls it to help him along i dont see why it matters who makes the cue at parris's as long as the guy who is making it knows what he's doing he probably has a few people there who can make a cue as good as he can but they get no rec because there working for parris and not the other way round how many cue makers make all of there cues without any help whatsoever ?
                      fair enough i understand what you are saying.

but no one on this forum has said anything bad with mike's cues. and i'm sure this is because theres nothing wrong to say about mike's cues.

as of parris cues, people won't say they are bad for the "sake" of it. this is down to personal preference.

it seems as though the response we recieve about parris cues, indicates that his cues were better when he was making them. people will not make things up and say John does not make his cues if this is not true.

people on the forum in my opinion say that "his cues were better 10 or 15 years ago compared to today".

its a matter of how you want to interpret that.

Comment

Well, I for one, have stated that in my opinion some of the very best cues I have ever ordered have come from John Parris. His handmade 'special, paragon or ultimate' cues are (again in my opinion) exactly what you ask for or he guarantees that he will remake them, can't say fairer than that!
                        In my quest for 'the perfect cue' I have over the years commissioned cues from just about every cuemaker of note on the planet and without doubt the best cues that I have ever received have come from John Parris and Trevor White.
                        Oldgit
                        'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

How can someone make a bold statement that the old John Parris cues are better than the new ones?

May be the old ones you have seen are better than the new ones you have seen, but to make an umbrella statement like that is very generalized.

Or is it just because you think (assume) that since he has helps, then he must not be making most of the cues, therefore the quality must have declined ( which is a conclusion based on a deduction drawn from an assumption which can be true but not necessarily)?

If you sell a lot of cues, it is usually because your cues are in demand. When your cues are in great demand, you need to extend your waiting list. Even then, most people would not be willing to wait too long. Plus the cue maker cannot be expected to work 24 hours a day 7 days a week--he needs to have a life other than building cues or else he will go insane. It is impossible to have a high output doing everything all by yourself. I believe the one man shop some of you so highly value buys some pre-made parts, and use some sort of machines, to make the whole producing process more effective, and less time consuming. Just for the sake of aguring, if the wife helps with doing ferrules and tips, does she count as a helper? Will that lower the value of the cue to those of you who likes a cue built by "one man only?"

The problem is not in having helpers, or how many helpers, or whether the cue makers does everything by himself, or by hand or whatever--but in quality control. In other words, how good is he in not letting inferior products out of his shop? A total one man shop can have very poor quality control; a team of cue makers can produce top notch cues together.

So, having helpers is not the issue, nor the reason, behind poor quality.

I think it is unfair to say a cue maker is overpriced when his demand is high, and his resale value is good. An "overprized" product cannot survive for over 20 years with strong demand in the market place.

Anyway, I am not sure what is the best value for under 50 pounds, I think the China cues with extentions are a great deal. For the other price ranges, there are many threads already discussed about this. Most people seem to think craftsman is a good budget cue for the money; Thai cues such as Unique and Master are the best non UK made cues, with quality on par with the top UK makers for lesser money; Trevor White, Mike Wooldridge are the top of the line cues.

But each cue is unique, so one really needs to try it out, and finds out what is the best for oneself. Try out as many cues as you can, and talk to the more knowledgable ones, try to understand why someone lieks a certain cue, expand your horizon, keep an open mind...and most importantly, enjoy cues as if they are all indivuals.
                          Last edited by poolqjunkie; 22 September 2008, 09:05 AM.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Up to 50 quid id personally take a punt on ebay. You can pick up a perfectly decent (in fact quite nice in some cases) cue for peanuts. Admittedly theyre usually 2 piece, but im honestly more and more of the opinion that 2 piece cues are frowned upon for no good reason. Some of the nicest cues ive used have been 2 piece.

After that id personally use a range of up to around £130, the lower range of which includes some machine spliced cues (notably from Master Cue), the upper reach includes decent handspliced cues from a number of makers and sources. Mastercraft, Mastercue, Craftsman among them.

After that you jump to around or just a shade under £200 which will get you a top line cue from a couple of the makers in the ~£130 group and you start to find plain ebony/rosewood cues from some 'top' makers.

After that you pays your money you takes your choice, but personally i wouldnt spend much more than £300 quid on a cue, but this is because a) Im not good enough b) i dont like flashy cues. c) i dont really believe its worth it (please note, this is just my opinion and what i would pay for something, the best cues i have seen have all been extremely well made and in some cases works of art) - related to point b, id rather have a relatively plain but well built cue for ~£200 than a really flashy job, but ultimately no better for twice that.

Comment

Up untill recently i only owned cheap cues so for about £100 ive found handspliced peradon cues the best, the finish varies but they are good cues for the price.
                              I cant comment on above that yet.

Comment

i am not on the parris (band wagon) i play with a old maple club cue respliced by trevor white but unlike everyone else on this site who seem to think wooldridge and white are gods (as you say) parris just gets aload of **** from every member on here when he has clearly been the front runner in the cue buisness for the last 25 years thats the problem with this forum same old **** every new post best cue maker,best cue,best value cue, best looking cue bla bla bla . i would like to hazard a guese that most of the posters on this forum have'nt got a fooooking clue what they are talking about in the first place stop quoting what everyone else is saying and put somthing original up.
                                I must agree with you, if John Parris posted on this site then he would not get as much stick if any, The site does seem to be used as a shop window for certain individuals who use it to flog their wares. :snooker: but who can blame them. They still get involved and help others out as well, and thats what its all about.
                                Welsh Is Best

Comment

Working...
                                X