Older cues screw better???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older cues screw better???

I just seen this Riley cue on ebay (180295249795) and apparrently older cues a better for playing a screw shot than a new cue.

I must have played with 50-60 cues and certainly would not say that the 'Old ones screw better'

My grandads decided to go on the pull after hearing this revelation LOL

older cueists screw better

I hear older women are clutching their skirts and looking apprehensive up north.good luck to gramps.
    Does that article say that if you put your new cue in a box,when you take it out twenty years later,it will be better than when you put it in?:snooker:

Comment

utter tosh, just like the idiots that try to sell their 22oz cues on ebay saying ....they are great for screw shots!!
      Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

No its only 22oz jimmy white cue that are good for screwing ......LOL

Comment

Oh no! I`ve got the same... I think be4 you buy this go to the wood and cut a tree then take your toilettbrush and rub it down - finished cue...more I can`t say about that cue

Comment

Interesting this...as the Riley tombstone badge type cues are well regarded for being terrible playing cues & about as stiff as a fly fishing rod!.........i wouldn't like to say all of them are as there will always be exceptions...but most i reckon......that said if you can drop on an old cue that is stiff they can be great playing cues.

Comment

Experienced cues screw better.

=o)

Noel

Comment

i like the drilling holes in it etc would add value bit.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

"when it is rolled on the table it almost grips the cloth"

hmmm thats a new one
                  sigpic <---New Website
                  Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

must be a new glue based finish trevor has applied

Comment

Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
                      I just seen this Riley cue on ebay (180295249795) and apparrently older cues a better for playing a screw shot than a new cue.

I must have played with 50-60 cues and certainly would not say that the 'Old ones screw better'

My grandads decided to go on the pull after hearing this revelation LOL

My view........

Maybe the idea that older cues are more responsive than newer cues is due to the fact that most are slimmer tapered, and, have timber that will have softened with time, leading to a cue with more 'spring' through the shaft.

Cues that have this bit of 'spring' or 'give' through them are often more responsive when striking low in the white ball, though they are maybe less clever when you try to play shots with lots of power through the top of the white ball.

Comment

Hi guy's, i kind of agree with the idea that older cues seem to have more flex.

although a lot of older slim taper low weight cues, were made for billiards & not for snooker, so they needed to be flexable enough to enable the high degrees of side to be imparted onto the ball. they usually do "bounce back" faster, simply by virtue of the fact that they are skinny, so are easier to bend, in addition, modern cues generally are thicker tapered, so much less, if any flex is present, this also helps to create a more forward balance point, quite popular in the modern power game.
                        don't miss!

Comment

well i actually bought this cue and i must say trevor you didn't do a very good job on that tip, you must have been drinking.

Comment

Nice tip ADR, I give you a tenner for it!!

Comment

it looks even worse in reality i can't take photos that show how bad it is - if you put glue on it and threw it across the room in the general direction of the cue you would get a better result.

Comment

Working...
                              X