Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil versus Varnish ...

Hi all,

I'm a beginner (max break 25) ... been playing snooker once a week with friends with a £20 Cannon Scorpion ... treated myself this week to an early Xmas pressie - a £105 "Welsh Dragon" from Paul (posts as Bitter on this forum) from www.WelshPoolTrading.co.uk ...

The biggest thing I've noticed so far is simply the feel of the shaft ... although my "Welsh Dragon" is natural wood (oiled and maybe waxed), it is so much smoother, it slides so much easier over my bridge hand than a varnished cue ...

It's just so much nicer to play with!

That's all I have to say at the moment except I'm very pleased with it and think it's excellent value for money ... I won't comment more because I'm still getting used to it ...

All I'm really saying is for those forum members who play with a varnished cue I would recommend thinking about treating yourself to an oiled cue from Paul at www.WelshPoolTrading.co.uk or any of the other fine suppliers that visit this forum ...

After all, Xmas is a coming

I agree with you oil finished cues are much better and welshpooltradings cues /BITTER are very good for the price!!

Comment

I want to make another century before Christmas...please Santa...
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
        I want to make another century before Christmas...please Santa...
        before i die would be nice !!

let alone xmas :snooker:
        http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

maybe santa will treat me with a new cue... those handmade ones look fantastic!

Comment

Originally Posted by trigger666 View Post
            before i die would be nice !!

let alone xmas :snooker:
            How old are you may I ask?
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

27 and my best to date in a match is 54 ,
              (ive always played pool and only recently in the last 6 months taken snooker seriously so maybe theres still hope) lol
              http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

I agree, some varnished cues can become 'sticky' to play with.

bongo

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                Hi all,

I'm a beginner (max break 25) ... been playing snooker once a week with friends with a £20 Cannon Scorpion ... treated myself this week to an early Xmas pressie - a £105 "Welsh Dragon" from Paul (posts as Bitter on this forum) from www.WelshPoolTrading.co.uk ...

The biggest thing I've noticed so far is simply the feel of the shaft ... although my "Welsh Dragon" is natural wood (oiled and maybe waxed), it is so much smoother, it slides so much easier over my bridge hand than a varnished cue ...

It's just so much nicer to play with!

That's all I have to say at the moment except I'm very pleased with it and think it's excellent value for money ... I won't comment more because I'm still getting used to it ...

All I'm really saying is for those forum members who play with a varnished cue I would recommend thinking about treating yourself to an oiled cue from Paul at www.WelshPoolTrading.co.uk or any of the other fine suppliers that visit this forum ...

After all, Xmas is a coming

Comment

I'll pass on a trade secret........................

I don't use Linseed oil

Paul

Comment

Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
                    I'll pass on a trade secret........................ I don't use Linseed oil

Paul
                    OK cool ... thanks for that Paul, I guess I'll be buying some of your "secret formula" oil in a few months when my new Welsh Dragon needs it ...

I played with it again tonight this time against my friends and I have to say I'm falling in love with it ... it is so much nicer to play with - it has a beautiful feel to it ...

Although my friends tried to make fun of my new cue, in reality I think they were quite jealous

I have a question about the tip ... it came fitted with a darkish brown tip, deep and hard ... I thought I prefer softer tips and indeed I'm getting on very well with a Blue Diamond on my "old" cue - which is now devoted to pool duties - my new Welsh Dragon is reserved for snooker ...

But actually now I'm really starting to get on with the tip you supplied on my Welsh Dragon ...

So my question is what is the tip? I guess you might say "secret" or even "unbranded" but I thought I'd ask the question

Just in case anyone isn't keeping up with the plot ... I'm talking about a "Welsh Dragon" handmade cue supplied by Paul (posts as Bitter on this forum) from www.WelshPoolTrading.co.uk ...

Comment

Originally Posted by trigger666 View Post
                      27 and my best to date in a match is 54 ,
                      (ive always played pool and only recently in the last 6 months taken snooker seriously so maybe theres still hope) lol
                      Hope you are still live.

I made a century today in practice, just throwing 15 reds randomly with all the colors on the spot. Cleared all 15 colors, got on the yellow, then missed it trying to screw back. I think I just choked.

Pockets are kind of big on the table I practice, and it is slow. I wish it was done in a match. When i make another one in a match, I will post it in the highest break section, my current is only 101. Wish it woudl ahppen before Christmas.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

re" varnishing "a cue

Hi can shellac be used to seal a cue , i have just got my old one back from the person i sold it to ,and its like a piece of balsa wood , it appears to have been sanded , thus there is no protection for the wood .

advise please thanks .

Comment

I certainly would not recommend shellac.
                          :snooker:

Comment

a cup of diesel and a match fixes most problems with poor quality cues, keeps you warm in winter too. Just don't burn your fingers on the fire.

Comment

Working...
                            X