Sticky situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky situation

For a while now I have noticed that after a few frames my cue/hands begin to get a little sticky. Nothing too bad but enough for about 25% of the shots I play to have a small "jump" on my bridge hand. This clearly can effect my playing in a bad way.

I wash my hands before I start and also wash my cue every so often using the method I read on here once. i.e. gently wash then buff dry.

I thought it was chalk dust so I chalk my cue at an angle to let the dust miss my hands but it makes no difference.

I had thought it was the cloth or something on the table but I can't see how that would be as only my finger tips touch the cloth.

Anybody else have this issue?

it sounds like you're playing with a varnished cue - they do get sticky ... if so, my tip would be to rub chalk on your bridge (ie between the finger and thumb)

try it, it really helps!

also to clean the cue with soapy water ... not detergent (such as washing up liquid or whatever) ...

hope this helps!

Comment

If it is varnished you could get someone to refinish it for you, should not cost too much and feels so much better imo.

Comment

Here are a few tips to help your problem:
        • Make sure you wash your hands before and that they are completly clean and dry
        • Make sure when you pick up a drink that you don't make your hands wet, a wet glass means wet hands!
        • If your hands are sticky, so will your cue so if you eat food for example then wash hands
        • Clean cue before

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post

also to clean the cue with soapy water
          Get a clean, dry cue towel (or beer towel) and make it damp, wipe the cue with it up the shaft and butt, for about 10 seconds or so.

Then get a clean, dry cue or beer towel and do the same to get it perfectly dry.

If you repeat that a few times your cue should be lovely 'n clean!

The above procedure is the real use of cue towels.

Just wiping a dry one on the cue doesn't do very much really compared to the above. You don't want to over do it but the cue cleaning procedure really does help.

Putting chalk on your hands is a little messy, you can get special talc powder for the bridge hand, a little less messy I think, or very last hope would be a cueing glove, but stay clear of it if possible.

Comment

i have the same problem - but it only happens on hot days...I think its just to do with the cue being varnished.
            "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

My cue is not varnished, it is oiled so that is not the issue.

I do have a drink or two while playing but don't use my bridging hand so not sure if thats the cause.

I will try the cleaning method suggested by Bongo and see how it goes tonight.

Comment

Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

I do have a drink or two while playing but don't use my bridging hand so not sure if thats the cause.

You could try rubbing down with a ultra fine piece of wire wool and then apply one coat of linseed or other cue oil. Sometimes deposits of grease and dirt from your hands can build up and cause stickyness. Doing it this way will remove the dirt and keep you cue in good condition.
                sigpic <---New Website
                Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

What kind of cue is that?
                  Do you have this problem no matter where you play at, or is it a problem associated with your club?
                  Do you store your cue in the club?
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Before I played tonight I had a shower and then used some talc on my hands. Not a lot but just enough to make them dry.

Seems to have done the trick as not once did my cue stick. I did also wash my cue so maybe a combination of them both was the solution.

Incidentally, I won 3-2.

I use a TW cue and only use it at my local club. My cue is stored in it's case under a bed.

Comment

I see. Congratulation.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

For a while now I have noticed that after a few frames my cue/hands begin to get a little sticky. Nothing too bad but enough for about 25% of the shots I play to have a small "jump" on my bridge hand. This clearly can effect my playing in a bad way.

I wash my hands before I start and also wash my cue every so often using the method I read on here once. i.e. gently wash then buff dry.

I thought it was chalk dust so I chalk my cue at an angle to let the dust miss my hands but it makes no difference.

I had thought it was the cloth or something on the table but I can't see how that would be as only my finger tips touch the cloth.

Anybody else have this issue?

read this. it's all you need.

http://www.handmadecues.com/info/20-cuecare.htm

p.s. don't use talc
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                          p.s. don't use talc
                          mike, why do you advise against using talc ? Will it harm the cue ? Here, all the snooker clubs provide talc for players to use and practically everyone uses it as well. I use a very small amount myself daily.
                          "We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo

Comment

Originally Posted by tallguy View Post
                            mike, why do you advise against using talc ? Will it harm the cue ? Here, all the snooker clubs provide talc for players to use and practically everyone uses it as well. I use a very small amount myself daily.
                            makes a mess on table and causes kicks. possibly.

i had a club once and believe me, it's not fun cleaning up after someone has left talc all over the bloody table!

there is no need for it if you follow basic cue and hand cleaning advice.
                            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

That's very true.

I have seen some guys apply tons of talc like there was no tomorrow and promptly deposit 80% of it on the table with their break off shot with a puff of powder flying in the air.

Another set apply talc on the cue and "rub" it in with the palm of their bridging hand. After a shot is played a white handprint is left on the table.
                              "We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo

Comment

Working...
                              X