Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a question about my cue

Hi everyone.

I am using a plain ebony unique cue and was thinking that I would like to have 2 thick maple veneers put onto the butt of the cue.

Basically like the model of the Master Cue PB4

I just wanted to know would this affect the cue in anyway in terms of balance, weight or feel?

I'd probably be taking it to John Parris as hes only up the road from where I live.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Nicholas

No, it shouldn't make any noticeable difference to the feel and balance of the cue.

I'm sure you'll get a top class job done if you take it there also.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
      Hi everyone.

I am using a plain ebony unique cue and was thinking that I would like to have 2 thick maple veneers put onto the butt of the cue.

Basically like the model of the Master Cue PB4

I just wanted to know would this affect the cue in anyway in terms of balance, weight or feel?

I'd probably be taking it to John Parris as hes only up the road from where I live.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Nicholas
      Hi there, to have the splices you are talking about would cost more than the cue is worth! JP will probably advise you the same as would I of the following:

Although you say it has an ebony butt, there are very different grades/colours of ebony, after stripping & cleaning the butt you may find all sorts of horror stories lurking beneth the top finish! i won't go into too much detail here, but i've seen painted butts/stained butts/low grade stripey ebony, & lot's more, besides, it will almost cirtainly change the balance point of the cue & also the weight. depending on the amount of ebony removed as maple does weigh less... also sanding & re-finishing the cue will reduce the overall thickness of the cue by a very small amount anyway.

( there will only be very slight changes, but changes nevertheless)

You would be without your cue for some weeks too, personally i think your money would be better spent playing snooker with the cue you have, until it either breaks, or you simply want a new cue, but that's just an opinion.

I have seen what can only be called "Frankinstien cues" which have been altered by so called "other" professional cue builders that don't balance well & have what i can only call a terrible feel, all for the price of a couple of splices ? !

my advise: don't bother.

just buy a mastercue PB4 if that's what you want & it will play better anyway. + if you ever sell it to mate, he gets a proper cue not some jazzed up junk.
      don't miss!

Comment

Working...
      X