cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cues

Does anybody know why it is that on some cues the shaft just below and around the ferrule can shrink over time leaving the need for a re-ferrule?
    I've seen it happen on many cues before and dont understand why it happens?

Can be due to a few things......

Moisture in the timber when the cue is made, which possibly is lost over time causing the timber to contract very slightly. Some of you may have noticed this kind of thing happening during very warm summer spells (when we have them).

Wear from fingers holding and spinning the cue when chalking it.

Wear from a damp cloth, by cleaning around the top of the shaft just under the ferrule.

Wear from chalk abrasion on the same spot over time.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
      Can be due to a few things......

Moisture in the timber when the cue is made, which possibly is lost over time causing the timber to contract very slightly. Some of you may have noticed this kind of thing happening during very warm summer spells (when we have them).

Wear from fingers holding and spinning the cue when chalking it.

Wear from a damp cloth, by cleaning around the top of the shaft just under the ferrule.

Wear from chalk abrasion on the same spot over time.
      Spot on answer, although my personal favourite is chalk abrasion on the same spot over time.
      don't miss!

Comment

A friend of mine had a habit of cleaning his ferrel with sandpaper!!!

After a while the wood beneath the ferrel began to get thinner due to the fact he was catching the shaft with the sandpaper.
        Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Burwat Champ View Post
          A friend of mine had a habit of cleaning his ferrel with sandpaper!!!

After a while the wood beneath the ferrel began to get thinner due to the fact he was catching the shaft with the sandpaper.
          Ouch ! thats gonna cost him at some point!
          having said that, i've seen youngsters doing somthing simular, & when you say anything....like "you don't want to be doing that" they look at you as if you've got two heads, & just carry on, until it's too late , & they come to you cap in hand, asking you to please fix it! & it costs them at least a new ferrule, in severe cases even a slight re-taper & ferrule size reduction as well. or just shorten the cue & then fit a new ferrule the same size as the original, (either way the cue will not be the exactly the same again) although it will look as good as new.

Does a shiny ferrule make you play any better? .....no,
          bad habbits start early & can take years to break.:snooker:
          don't miss!

Comment

Working...
          X