Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack on the ebony... ><

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I found some strange "noise" when striking balls, especially when striking with pace.
    After re-tipping the cue, cleaning the joint, fixing the nameplate, the strange noise is still there.
    A friend of mine checked the cue for me and discovered that there's a crack on the ebony, next to the joint...
    The crack is about 1.5 inches long...
    I really love this cue and it really means a lot to me.
    I really want to get it fixed but a friend of mine told me that the cue would be dramatically different from what it was after it is fixed.
    Is it true? Anyone here has any idea how would one going to fix it?
    Would the joint be changed?
    Anyone here could recommend some names who can do a good job for me?
    (I live in Coventry.)

Thank you~
    Attached Files
    Last edited by karkit1028; 19 October 2008, 04:38 PM.

Trevor White or Mike Wooldridge would do a very good job.

Kevin Muncaster in Preston is good also.

I had a similar problem a while back and took the cue to a guy from Leeds named Bob Akers, he fixed the cue a treat and I couldnt tell the difference at all. He used a perspex joint though which looked a little weird,
    Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Where is "Trevor White", "Mike Wooldridge" and "Kevin Muncaster"?

What about "Tony Wilshaw"?
      Anyone here has any comment about him?

Comment

Trevor White = Bridgend South Wales (TREVS1 on forum)

Kevin Muncaster = Freckleton in Preston

Mike is down south I think but im not sure.

Robin Cook in Peterborough is also very good
        Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

To cue makers here:

How will you repair it?
          Just glue the wood and close the crack or re-do the ebony?

Comment

Right I had exactly the same probelm and have fixed it and you cant see a thing. No need to send it off anywhere you really cant go wrong. What you need is fibreglass resin and hardener and some powder dye. Usually you can get all this from a hardware store.

1) Clean the area with a cocktail stick using lighter fluid as its a solvent and evapoartes very quickly.

2) Mix up about a tablespoon of resin and a tiny bit of harder and add a little powder dye to it. Mix it up and use the cocktail stick to almost dribble the resin in. Does not matter if its perfect just needs to fill the crack. Make sure you have it over the crack aswell.

3) Leave for 15 minutes

4) Sand down with some fine paper then wire wool.

5) Add a little oil or polish and the crack will now be invisible.

And thats it! You will only see it if you get it under direct light. But will be the best you can do.

PS: You have to be dam quick doing it as the resin dries very fast and very quick.

PPS: Just noticed you are in coventry. I can post you some powder dye as its not that easy to find. Plus i know it matches ebony perfect.
            Last edited by totlxtc; 19 October 2008, 10:36 PM.
            sigpic <---New Website
            Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
              Right I had exactly the same probelm and have fixed it and you cant see a thing. No need to send it off anywhere you really cant go wrong. What you need is fibreglass resin and hardener and some powder dye. Usually you can get all this from a hardware store.

1) Clean the area with a cocktail stick using lighter fluid as its a solvent and evapoartes very quickly.

2) Mix up about a tablespoon of resin and a tiny bit of harder and add a little powder dye to it. Mix it up and use the cocktail stick to almost dribble the resin in. Does not matter if its perfect just needs to fill the crack. Make sure you have it over the crack aswell.

3) Leave for 15 minutes

4) Sand down with some fine paper then wire wool.

5) Add a little oil or polish and the crack will now be invisible.

And thats it! You will only see it if you get it under direct light. But will be the best you can do.

Thanks "totlxtc"!!!

I have no knowledge about dealing with woods...
              No means to offend or challenge your thought, but I really still have a doubt in my mind...
              The wood is supposed to be glued together.
              Now a crack appears (simply due to weather or heater...?)...
              And you are now trying to put something into the crack...
              Wouldn't it exert some pressure onto the crack and widen the crack (in the future)???

Comment

No its absolutly fine as the resin is elastic. It will hold its own. I actually spoke to Trevor about this ages ago and he said would be simalar to what he would do. Id happily do it for you if you like. Also if you try to glue the crack together it is more likely to split again in the same place or another side. Depending on how wide the crack is the other option is ebony dust but ive never tried that.
                Last edited by totlxtc; 19 October 2008, 10:44 PM.
                sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Oh really?
                  How long does it take?
                  Maybe I can treat you a mean for that!~ Haha~

Comment

I can do it in less than 30 mins. If you want me to send a pic of what i did i can. Ill try to find the thread when i had this same problem.
                    sigpic <---New Website

Comment

It was this thread. Sorry my camera was playing up at the time.

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...t+crack&page=2
                      sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Sorry for some reason in the kitchen the light makes pics yellow. But you can still see the result. Its in very direct light.

sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Working...
                        X