???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ???

Does anyone know if its ok to use furniture polish on your cue or can it be bad for the wood in the long term???
    :snooker:

Won't really do it any harm at all, after all, it's for wood isn't it.

It's not something I'd recommend though, but if it works for you, then fine.

All you should really need is a barely damp cloth with a ltitle detergent now and then, and a clean dry cloth to dry it immediately afterwards.

That should work as well as most other methods of cleaning it.

Comment

I used a damp cloth last week, drying with a cue towel.
      It played as smooth as a babys top lip last night in our cup match.

Comment

Originally Posted by bonoman1970 View Post
        Does anyone know if its ok to use furniture polish on your cue or can it be bad for the wood in the long term???
        :snooker:
        If its something like Mr Sheen or other nasty spray polishes try to avoid it due to the chemicals used in the propelant. Colron finishing wax is really good stuff if you want a nice shiny finish. Its about 4.99-5.99 comes in a round flat tin and you can find it in most DIY stores.
        sigpic <---New Website
        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Look at www.handmadecues.com

Comment

The best way is with a wet cloth, followed by a dry cloth.

You are only taking away any chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post

All you should really need is a barely damp cloth with a ltitle detergent now and then, and a clean dry cloth to dry it immediately afterwards.

i do this and have often wondered if i can use a babywipe but am scared in case it hurts my cue?

baby wipes............... good or bad?
              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post

Trevor ... I feel really guilty for even daring to slightly disagree with you ... you are very clearly one of the greats of the snooker world and I aspire to becoming a good enough player to even contemplate being worthy of buying one of your cues ...

But doesn't it depend how the cue is finished?

For lacquer/varnish finish as on my £20 Cannon Scorpion, nothing seems better than soapy water and then dried - not detergent or Mr Sheen or whatever which only seems to make it stickier than it already was ...

On my brand new Welsh Dragon which I bought from Bitter on this forum from www.WelshPoolTrading.co.uk which has a natural oil finish, a damp cloth (just plain water) and then dried seems to do the job nicely ...

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
                  i do this and have often wondered if i can use a babywipe but am scared in case it hurts my cue?

baby wipes............... good or bad?
                  You are joking, right?
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                    You are joking, right?
                    ........... no.
                    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                      Trevor ... I feel really guilty for even daring to slightly disagree with you ... you are very clearly one of the greats of the snooker world and I aspire to becoming a good enough player to even contemplate being worthy of buying one of your cues ...
                      From an eternal Czech fairytale: "Don´t be haughty in front of others and don´t vilify (humiliate?) yourself in front of others."*

*any loss of poetry in the process of translation courtesy of me
                      Robbo's potting is so good he doesn't need to bother with positional play like the rest of the players. He laughs in the face of those who spend hours on the practice table perfecting their cue ball control! ~ Forman
                      2009 Grand Prix Fantasy Game winner

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post

But doesn't it depend how the cue is finished?

For lacquer/varnish finish as on my £20 Cannon Scorpion, nothing seems better than soapy water and then dried - not detergent or Mr Sheen or whatever which only seems to make it stickier than it already was ...

On my brand new Welsh Dragon which I bought from Bitter on this forum from www.WelshPoolTrading.co.uk which has a natural oil finish, a damp cloth (just plain water) and then dried seems to do the job nicely ...

Nothing wrong in disagreement and you are absolutely entitiled to say it as you see it. I'm sure your own experience and advice is useful to some also.

But, if you read the posts again, I answered the original posters question. I didn't see any point in going into the various finishes on one cue or another, as he did'nt specify it.

As for your own cue with the lacquered finish, I'd say it's more than likely the main cause of the sticky feel is due to the finish, and not the polish you have used on it.

The original poster wrote......

"Does anyone know if its ok to use furniture polish on your cue or can it be bad for the wood in the long term???"

I replied......

"Won't really do it any harm at all, after all, it's for wood isn't it. It's not something I'd recommend though, but if it works for you, then fine. All you should really need is a barely damp cloth with a ltitle detergent now and then, and a clean dry cloth to dry it immediately afterwards. That should work as well as most other methods of cleaning it."

Comment

Thank you trevs ,just wondered if the polish does some serious damage long term to the wood,I dont use it as a rule but sometimes a little amount really shines it up,
                          thanks for your help, its a shame that some people cant just help without having a dig at someone else.

Comment

Working...
                          X