Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for new cue

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new cue. I presently have a Riley RPH-300. Riley is about all one can buy in the few shops here in Sweden that sell snooker gear. I have been playing a few years now and think I could benefit from a better cue...what do people think?...I've never played with a better cue so it's hard to know how much better a cue could be. I have a feeling the balance on my present cue is not as good as it could be....it feels unstable on power shots, lots of vibration....

I am prepared to spend about 150-200 pounds for a new cue with case and screw in extension. From what I've read here Craftsman seems a good choice, noting I have to order over the internet, and have no chance to go and pick out a cue. Or Cue Craft?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Paul

why change your cue if you can play with it?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      why change your cue if you can play with it?
      Two things:

1) What I've read here, people seem to have a low opinion of Riley cues, so I wonder how "bad" my cue is, and how much it could be affecting my game. I play in a small town with 1 table and no real experts to consult....perhaps someone experienced who has tried a Riley in this price class (30 pounds) could comment?

2) I was thinking it would be nice to have a cue with a screw in mini-butt extension for shots where I have to stretch. I am rubbish with the rest at present and this could help me reach some shots. But this is a very minor thing compared to the first point.

/Paul

Comment

the thing is if you can use a cue it doesn't matter who made it really - i agree riley are just cheap cues though, how long have you had it and what standard do you play at.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
          the thing is if you can use a cue it doesn't matter who made it really - i agree riley are just cheap cues though, how long have you had it and what standard do you play at.
          I have had the cue about 2 and 1/2 years, as long as I've been playing. I make regular breaks in 20's in matches and have a highbreak of 36. I've made some 40's in practice. I feel like recently I've made real progress with my cueing, and my enthusiasm is not waning, and so this started me thinking it might be time to invest in a decent cue I could have for life...

Comment

Originally Posted by paulb View Post
            I have had the cue about 2 and 1/2 years, as long as I've been playing. I make regular breaks in 20's in matches and have a highbreak of 36. I've made some 40's in practice. I feel like recently I've made real progress with my cueing, and my enthusiasm is not waning, and so this started me thinking it might be time to invest in a decent cue I could have for life...
            my advice paulb is yes, go for it ... to give you my experience, I'd been playing snooker with a £20 Cannon Scorpion once a week with friends (and 8-ball English pool maybe 3 times a week) - at the beginning of October I bought a "Welsh Dragon" from Paul (Bitter on this forum) at www.welshpooltrading.co.uk for a little over £100 ...

now don't expect miracles - it hasn't sorted out my poor eyesight or my very dodgy cueing action but IMO a decent cue is well worth the money ...

the first thing you'll notice is the natural oiled shaft - no more worrying about the stivcky varnish/lacquer on a "budget" cue ... it always slides perfectly over your bridge ...

and as well as simply feeling so much nicer, in playing terms what this does for you is make it so much easier to judge and play the correct weight of shot ... I'm feeling pretty confident about that now

spin etc ... I'm still getting used to it but I am starting to get some decent and consistent spin when needed (I try to avoid spin like the plague on a snooker table but use it a lot in pool) ...

don't expect to do deep screws like the pro's can do - remember they are playing on superfine cloths with "perfect" balls - it simply ain't going to happen on the average Riley's table (where I play) with their well used balls ...

but yes, I personally think my new "Welsh Dragon" is one of the best presents I've ever bought myself ... I really look forward to taking my new "toy" out for snooker once a week (she's far too nice for pool at the local pub so I still take my Cannon for that) ...

you didn't mention what price range you were thinking of but here's a few thoughts from when I was looking - this is *not* intended to be a comprehensive list ...

Welsh Pool Trading where I bought my cue from ...

Craftsman - I think they have two ranges (one imported and one made in the UK) but never heard a bad word about either ...

ADR147 on this forum - never heard a bad word said about him either - well, apart from the story about the two goats and the telescopic mini-butt (only joking) ...

if you want to spend £150 or so ... maybe a Mike Wooldridge Shark series (which are "butterfly" spliced) or a Thai cue - O'min or Master ...

£200 or £250 plus ... lots of quality cues for that money but the first ones I'd think about are a Mike Wooldridge or a Trevor White ...

hope this helps!

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
              my advice paulb is yes, go for it ... to give you my experience, I'd been playing snooker with a £20 Cannon Scorpion once a week with friends (and 8-ball English pool maybe 3 times a week) - at the beginning of October I bought a "Welsh Dragon" from Paul (Bitter on this forum) at www.welshpooltrading.co.uk for a little over £100 ...

now don't expect miracles - it hasn't sorted out my poor eyesight or my very dodgy cueing action but IMO a decent cue is well worth the money ...

hope this helps!
              Thanks a lot for your detailed reply! It's great to hear your experience that it is worth it to upgrade from a basic cue.

I don't expect miracles I realise that my cueing is the biggest part of the equation, and a new cue isn't going to fix that. It's interesting to hear however that you feel the nicer shaft allows better control with more consistent delivery over the bridge.

As I said in the very first mail, around 150-200 pounds is my budget, but that should include case, and mini-butt extension, at least. I wouldn't object to it being cheaper either! On that note, I wonder about the Craftsman cues, which you mentioned and I have been looking seriously at. I guess their "classic" range are the imports (55-150 pounds), while the more expensive "standard" range are the UK models (145 and up)?

I particularly wonder, say within the classic range, if the price differences are worth the money. Or does it just mean a fancier pattern on the butt? I don't care about the looks too much, in fact I prefer something simple.

Comment

The differance is that the more expensive ones are hand spliced not machine splaiced.
                This generally means that the cues will have taken longer to make so will havew had better materials used on it from the out set. This isn't always the case. Beware cheap handspliced or cues painted to look handspliced.

Machine spliced cues have very pointy tip of the splices. With craftsman I think some of the classic range are handspliced. Look for the difference.

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
                  The differance is that the more expensive ones are hand spliced not machine splaiced.
                  This generally means that the cues will have taken longer to make so will havew had better materials used on it from the out set. This isn't always the case. Beware cheap handspliced or cues painted to look handspliced.

Machine spliced cues have very pointy tip of the splices. With craftsman I think some of the classic range are handspliced. Look for the difference.
                  Ok, thanks for that. I saw that the classic range cues under 100 were machine spliced, and those over 100 were hand spliced. I didn't see how that would necessarily make it a better cue though, so thanks for explaining that.

Anyone have any experience with those handspliced cues in the classic range (Legend, Avenger or Classic)? Or is it worth paying the extra to get something in the standard range like the 147 or panther? Difference is around 50 pounds when one considers that classic cues come with a mini-butt, but standard range cues don't.

Comment

I have a legend - very good cue for the money!

Just got ot back from having a few modifications and they've done a fantastic job!

A star customer service!
                    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I will have played with both and don't remember any great difference.
                      Do you want a mini butt?

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
                        I will have played with both and don't remember any great difference.
                        Do you want a mini butt?
                        Thanks. Sounds like I'd be happy enough with a Legend then.

Yes, ideally I'd like one, or at least the possibility to have one in future (i.e. a cue with a fitting for a screw in extension, my present cue doesn't have that).

Comment

I was in your position about a year ago. I wanted to upgrade from a BCE 'Jimmy White' signature cue (30 quids worth) to a pro cue. I Picked up a master cue, Lovely cue. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Might be worth browsing www.craftsmancues.com. They stock master cues. I had mine posted from England to Ireland. So it was a risk without trying it out first but thankfully, i got great advice on specs from this forum, and it suited me perfectly..

Comment

At this price range I find north west cues as the best option. this is my personal choice as I have played with master cue, omin and craftsman as well. you can reach Kevin of north west cues at +44 1772679391. He made a really really lovely cue for me, custom made for less than 200 pounds. Hope it helps
                            Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Originally Posted by paulb View Post
                              Thanks. Sounds like I'd be happy enough with a Legend then.

Yes, ideally I'd like one, or at least the possibility to have one in future (i.e. a cue with a fitting for a screw in extension, my present cue doesn't have that).
                              check with me before you buy one.

Comment

Working...
                              X