X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
    The differance is that the more expensive ones are

hand spliced not machine splaiced.
    are you sure Watford? I assume we're talking about Craftsman cues here ... but on their classic page the first two appear machine-spliced, the Legend and upwards hand-spliced ... I guess all the cues on their standard (more expensive) page are hand-spliced ...

I dunno at all but I guess the reason why they split their site into two very different pages (classic & standard) is to differentiate between cues they make themselves and cues they import (presumably Master which in itself is a fine brand) ...

but anyway, to try to help paulb more ... the actual method of splicing does not matter ... forget about it, I'm being pedantic ...

your budget is £150 to £200 ... for a cue with butt-joint, case and extension (presumably shipped to Sweden) ...

well I for one would PM Bitter and ADR147 or ask Craftsman ... I'm sure you won't be disappointed with whatever any of those recommend ... just make sure it is a natural oil finish because that makes a huge difference in my opinion(I very much doubt any of the above would offer anything else in that price range) ...

I would include a Wooldridge Shark in my list but I guess we may be talking slightly over your budget for that spec (only guessing - the Shark cue with butt-joint is much less than that) ...

When do the January sales start Mike? and do I get an extra discount if I mention your website is www.handmadecues.com which is a great site ... and it gets even better if you click the green "info" button at the very top right of the page rather than the left vertical navigation ... tons of very useful information there ...

hth
    Last edited by DandyA; 18 November 2008, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
      are you sure Watford? I assume we're talking about Craftsman cues here ... but on their classic page the first two appear machine-spliced, the Legend and upwards hand-spliced ... I guess all the cues on their standard (more expensive) page are hand-spliced ...

I dunno at all but I guess the reason why they split their site into two very different pages (classic & standard) is to differentiate between cues they make themselves and cues they import (presumably Master which in itself is a fine brand) ...
      This is in fact what I had understood from Watford's and others' replies....including looking back at Stretch147's original similar thread (thanks for that, it was helpful reading that one also).

THANKS ALL so much for your help! Every post here has been extremely helpful in making my decision. I've decided to buy a Craftsman Legend 2pc with a 2pc Tournament hard case....which with postage to Sweden falls under 200 pounds. I considered the 147 or a Master cue, but in the end, given I can't try the cues, and people here had said there would probably be little difference, I decided the Legend would be fine.

I'll report back when I get and try the cue, for the benefit of others who may be in a similar situation.

Thanks again!

Comment

This is in fact what I had understood from Watford's and others' replies....including looking back at Stretch147's original similar thread (thanks for that, it was helpful reading that one also).

THANKS ALL so much for your help! Every post here has been extremely helpful in making my decision. I've decided to buy a Craftsman Legend 2pc with a 2pc Tournament hard case....which with postage to Sweden falls under 200 pounds. I considered the 147 or a Master cue, but in the end, given I can't try the cues, and people here had said there would probably be little difference, I decided the Legend would be fine.

I'll report back when I get and try the cue, for the benefit of others who may be in a similar situation.

Thanks again!
        In the end a good choice IMHO, best of luck with it!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by paulb View Post

Thanks again!
          Hmmmm I think I was misquoted a bit by DannyA there.
          Cut my quote out then obviously didn't read the rest!

Good luck with it mate!

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
            Hmmmm I think I was misquoted a bit by DannyA there. Cut my quote out then obviously didn't read the rest!
            My apologies Watford ... you are quite right - I have now read the rest of your posting and see what you are saying ...

Not that my "are you sure Watford?" comment was intended to query your judgement or your excellent advice - I just puzzle (and still do) why Craftsman have two separate pages ie classic and standard ...

I'm sure paulb has made an excellent choice with his Legend - I'm no expert but as I said above, I've never heard anyone complain about any Craftsman cue ...

Please do let us know how you get on with it paulb ...

Comment

I may be mistaken but the classic cues are made in Asia and finished in leeds and the standard are completely made in leeds.

Don't be put off though, the classics are still very good cues and if found for the right price are excellent value for money, i would go as far as to say unbeatable value for the quality
              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I think the value is great considering you have so many options when ordering.
                It's also a great place to try cues out.

Comment

Hi all,

Just to report back now that I have had the cue a couple of weeks and played with it a bit....hope it might be helpful to someone else.....

I am extremely happy with the cue, it feels fantastic compared to my old one. Main differences:

1) As DandyA had pointed out, the main thing I noticed immediately was how nice the cue felt over the bridge hand compared to the varnished Riley. I feel like this gives far more consistent delivery, and makes alternate bridges near the cushions much, much easier.

2) Again as DandyA said, I also think the cue feels nicer hitting the ball....I don't think this is just cause it's new and different. It seems much easier to get that "sweet timing" feeling. I feel much less jarring through the cue to my right (back) hand.

3) The cue also just feels much better made....and it also doesn't have one of those silly Riley quick release joints, which I can't understand the point of...an extra second for a tight cue when playing is hardly a chore, and the Riley would ocassionally loosen during play.

So in conclusion, to my original question, IMHO there is a significant difference from a cheap (30 pound in UK, though cost more here in Sweden) cue, to a well made one like a Craftsman Legend, which I can absolutely recommend if you are looking for something in this price range (100-150 pounds). Extremely happy with it! Thanks again for the help I got here!

Comment

Hey paulb,

don't know if this would be any help, but I'm currently using a craftsman classic Victor cue with mini but extension.
                    Bought it with their own aliminium case and a few bits here and there all for about £160. The cue (£55) was custom made to my specs.
                    The quality is very good for the money.
                    The shaft is about 94% smooth (there is some grain feels and very very slight lumps but its nothing major), its stiff and not whippy like cheaper cues, the weight does feel more to the butt end though, but overal for that money theres no comparism.
                    Its a very good cue.
                    And they are very pleasant people to deal with.
                    I am getting a Trevor White, once he gets back to me, but only for different specs to what I have now.

Comment

Oh see you bought your new cue already

Enjoy it

Comment

Originally Posted by paulb View Post
                        Just to report back now that I have had the cue a couple of weeks and played with it a bit....hope it might be helpful to someone else.....

I am extremely happy with the cue, it feels fantastic compared to my old one.
                        glad to hear you're enjoying your new cue paulb

I've also just bought a set of Aramith Tournament Champion balls - quite expensive at £89 but I'm very pleased with them too - definitely more responsive than the balls at my local Riley's club where I play ...

Comment

if there is anyone here that sells good 2nd hand cues please PM me. i am willing to spend about 90(ish) pounds on a snooker cue
                          thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X