Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Correct" cue length by the book

Hello everyone.

I was down at my local club today playing against a fantastic player when I noticed that he is just about taller than me and I'm only around 5'5 or 5'6. I realised that the cue he was using was only 56 inches and mine was 58 inches.

I also began to hold my cue further up the butt because it seemed to help my potting due to not overstretching but found that "sooner or later" my hands would slowly creep up to the end of the cue where I felt most comfortable holding it.

He was using a Parris Special so I asked if I could have afew shots and he allowed me to play a frame in which I potted everything quite easily. He also said that he was told a cue should only go just above your shoulders.

If this is the case then a 56" cue should suit be but I do have a longer bridge so maybe 56 1/4 or 1/2.

Does anyone else have this problem and what are your cue lengths and heights?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Nicholas

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
    Hello everyone.

He also said that he was told a cue should only go just above your shoulders.
    Thats what i have been told as well by Jhon Parris himself when i visited his workshop. I am 180 cm tall and my cues are 58" (147.3 cm) which is just above my shoulders. dont know if there is any "formula", but it feels right for me.

Hope it helps
    Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Sounds right. I was also told this myself lol. But i ignored it like a muppet lol. perhaps i may get a new cue...AGAIN lol

Comment

If you play well and fell comfortable with your current cue, I see no reason to change it just because its not the "correct cue length" - if there is such a thing.
        Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Hi I'm 6ft tall

But only play with a 54" Cue. Upto my Armpit Like Steve DAvis and other 80's players

This is very comfortable for me as I can bend my Left arm alot and can hold the cue just a couple of inches from the end. In my style in order to hold the cue nr the end or on the end, I would have to either have my arm nearly straight with a 57-58" cue or I would have to bridge 15"-16" away, with my arm bent. Or hold the cue some 4 inches up the butt, which I didn't like doing.

It never seems small to me, I can reach to 6" behind Blue Spot, then I have the option of using the rest or putting my 6" Mini Butt on which is all I need.

His armpit is around the same height as mine so his cue is also around 54-55.

But basically as long as your cue is 36" it is legal length. What ever comfortable for you.

Paul
          Last edited by S Davis Fan; 3 December 2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by S Davis Fan View Post
            Hi I'm 6ft tall

But only play with a 54" Cue. Upto my Armpit Like Steve DAvis and other 80's players

This is very comfortable for me as I can bend my Left arm alot and can hold the cue just a couple of inches from the end. In my style in order to hold the cue nr the end or on the end, I would have to either have my arm nearly straight with a 57-58" cue or I would have to bridge 15"-16" away, with my arm bent. Or hold the cue some 4 inches up the butt, which I didn't like doing.

It never seems small to me, I can reach to 6" behind Blue Spot, then I have the option of using the rest or putting my 6" Mini Butt on which is all I need.

I have actually been mis led by Steve's book because he says he is 6 2 and actually I met him recently and he is around my height of 6'. He also says his cue is 57" 1/4 again it can't be because his armpit is the same height as mine so his cue is also around 54-55.

But basically as long as your cue is 36" it is legal length. What ever comfortable for you.

Paul
            Paul, you are wrong about the length of Steves cue. I was talking to John Parris a year or so ago and I said to him that i'd read that Steves cue was 55in long and he said 'Rubbish......its over 57in long!'. I think the shortest top pros cue must belong to John Higgins and that is around 55in long.

I'd say that of the worlds top 64 snooker pros that over 90 percent of them use cues that are in the range 57in to 58in. I can only think of four who use different lengths (John Higgins (55in) Mark Williams (just under 57in) Neil Robertson (59in) and of course McCulloch whose cue is over 60in!!)

Oldgit
            'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

John Parris is wrong.

As I have Said Steve is Around My Height, and I stood right next to him and you could have drawn a horizontal line between my armpit and Steve's. If Steve's was 57" it would come up to the same place on Steve as me which would be 3" above the armpit and not up to it. I also saw Steve last week in the Premier league and you can clearly see it is not a full length cue.

John Parris did the work on Steve's cue 20 Years ago and has no Idear how long it is. If you still need more proof, there is a Match between Steve and Tony Meo and Higgins and White if you see that when Meo and Steve are sitting down with the Cues on the floor, they are both the same height, and Meo says his cue is 55" in The Matchroom. Meo's cue comes up to his shoulder and he is only 5-7". If Parris was saying then Meo's cue would be well over his shoulder and be to big for him.

From the Facts not word of Mouth I can Promise you that Steve's cue is around 55"

Here is the clip
              http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HxEAXQfQGrg

Look at 1:51 and you will see the length.

Also I have tried to play with a 57 odd cue, in Steve exact stance and you can't hold it near the end off the butt and keep the same distance away from the White with your bridge hand as Steve does, but as I have Pic proof that a Cue 54-55 inches you can have a copy of Steve's technique if you are the same Height and Build as him.
              Last edited by S Davis Fan; 30 November 2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

HI all!

I too have searched and read up on this subject. They say the guide line for correct cue length is shoulder or just above shoulder length.
                But its just a guide line, not a set specific rule.
                In the end of the day it depends on what feels best for you.
                But I must say, since using a 56" (I'm 5'7") cue my potting has become alot better. I'm like you Thai_son, I try hold further up the butt end with longer cues, but eventualy my hand creeps back down to the end again because it feels most natural there.
                I'm even considering a 55 or 55 1/2" cue as a 56" still feels bit long for me.
                Also for me its about the thickness of the butt end to.
                I like the thicker butt because I hate the lack of feel from the thinner butts. I feel my grip fingers have to move more to grip the cue during the follow through of my shots, witch results in me jerking in the last second or mm before contact with the cue ball which can make me lose concentration and miss simple pots. my prefered diameter is 30-31mm.
                Whats everyones thought on this as it would be interesting to hear or rather see different opinions.

Nam.

Comment

Originally Posted by nam1977 View Post
                  HI all!

I too have searched and read up on this subject. They say the guide line for correct cue length is shoulder or just above shoulder length.
                  But its just a guide line, not a set specific rule.
                  In the end of the day it depends on what feels best for you.
                  But I must say, since using a 56" (I'm 5'7") cue my potting has become alot better. I'm like you Thai_son, I try hold further up the butt end with longer cues, but eventualy my hand creeps back down to the end again because it feels most natural there.
                  I'm even considering a 55 or 55 1/2" cue as a 56" still feels bit long for me.
                  Also for me its about the thickness of the butt end to.
                  I like the thicker butt because I hate the lack of feel from the thinner butts. I feel my grip fingers have to move more to grip the cue during the follow through of my shots, witch results in me jerking in the last second or mm before contact with the cue ball which can make me lose concentration and miss simple pots. my prefered diameter is 30-31mm.
                  Whats everyones thought on this as it would be interesting to hear or rather see different opinions.

Nam.
                  right on nam. i get exactly wat u mean.. i want about a 56 1/4 or 1/2 because i have a longer bridge. using a 56 inche my last finger wernt even holdin the cue lol.

just wondering... where abouts in london do u play? i take it your vietnamese?

Comment

Originally Posted by S Davis Fan View Post
                    John Parris is wrong.

As I have Said Steve is Around My Height, and I stood right next to him and you could have drawn a horizontal line between my armpit and Steve's. If Steve's was 57" it would come up to the same place on Steve as me which would be 3" above the armpit and not up to it. I also saw Steve last week in the Premier league and you can clearly see it is not a full length cue.

John Parris did the work on Steve's cue 20 Years ago and has no Idear how long it is. If you still need more proof, there is a Match between Steve and Tony Meo and Higgins and White if you see that when Meo and Steve are sitting down with the Cues on the floor, they are both the same height, and Meo says his cue is 55" in The Matchroom. Meo's cue comes up to his shoulder and he is only 5-7". If Parris was saying then Meo's cue would be well over his shoulder and be to big for him.

From the Facts not word of Mouth I can Promise you that Steve's cue is around 55"

Here is the clip
                    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HxEAXQfQGrg

Look at 1:51 and you will see the length.

Also I have tried to play with a 57 odd cue, in Steve exact stance and you can't hold it near the end off the butt and keep the same distance away from the White with your bridge hand as Steve does, but as I have Pic proof that a Cue 54-55 inches you can have a copy of Steve's technique if you are the same Height and Build as him.

parris isn't wrong. he's right and davis' cue is over 57".

if you look at the video properly and uses a bit of mathematics and realise that yes the cues look to be the same height, but neither are flush to the floor. they both could easily be coming from a different angle from the floor thus giving a different height to the eye. davis' cue is probably more forward than tony's is thus the extra length is not visible below the cameras

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                      right on nam. i get exactly wat u mean.. i want about a 56 1/4 or 1/2 because i have a longer bridge. using a 56 inche my last finger wernt even holdin the cue lol.

just wondering... where abouts in london do u play? i take it your vietnamese?
                      Glad someone understands me lol.
                      I get what you're saying about your last finger. Do you feel more comfortable with a straighter bridge arm?

Yep I'm Vietnamese.
                      My local, well regular club is in Camberwell green London. But I live in thamesmead.
                      I used to travel anywhere to play though cause I love the game so much.
                      The reason I want a 55" cue also is because my bridge arm is still straight-ish when i'm down on my shot (which sometimes I feel over stretched), I feel more comfortable when its more bent but to do that I would still have to hold further up the butt even with my 56" cue.
                      Also the weight distribution on the cue.
                      I prefer a more middle to forward balance than a butt heavy cue, Whats everyones view on that. Need to get a serious custom made cue one day. Just so broke at the moment

If your near Thai_son maybe we can get a game or 2 sometime. You can see how i play by watching my vid on youtube under vids from d8nam.
                      Let me know what you think. I'm using a 56" Victor cue from Craftsmans cue range. It weighs 18.5oz cost me £55 which weren't bad.
                      Oh by the way are you Thai? Its your name that makes me wonder.

Nam.

Comment

Glad someone understands me lol.
                        I get what you're saying about your last finger. Do you feel more comfortable with a straighter bridge arm?

Yep I'm Vietnamese.
                        My local, well regular club is in Camberwell green London. But I live in thamesmead.
                        I used to travel anywhere to play though cause I love the game so much.
                        The reason I want a 55" cue also is because my bridge arm is still straight-ish when i'm down on my shot (which sometimes I feel over stretched), I feel more comfortable when its more bent but to do that I would still have to hold further up the butt even with my 56" cue.
                        Also the weight distribution on the cue.
                        I prefer a more middle to forward balance than a butt heavy cue, Whats everyones view on that. Need to get a serious custom made cue one day. Just so broke at the moment

If your near Thai_son maybe we can get a game or 2 sometime. You can see how i play by watching my vid on youtube under vids from d8nam.
                        Let me know what you think. I'm using a 56" Victor cue from Craftsmans cue range. It weighs 18.5oz cost me £55 which weren't bad.
                        Oh by the way are you Thai? Its your name that makes me wonder.

Nam.
                        Sometimes I feel more comfortable with a straighter bridge arm but it tends to be that mine is alittle bent because im not tall at all. I use to worry about this kind of stuff all the time but all that does is take you away from playing.

So now i try just to play my normal game.

Sorry no im not Thai lol. Im vietnamese. Thai is my middle name and Son is my vietnamese name (pronounce SERNG) lol.

I use to live in Peckham and play in New Cross but have been in Lewisham for afew years and have been going to Camberwell for about 3 Years now quite regularly. However, because I don't get much opponents there, I've been playing in Lewisham (ray's club).

I only recently entered the competition in Camberwell and made the final then lost lol. The video looks alright from what I can see. Very quick play, but it works for you.

Nothing wrong with the craftsman cue as long as you like it. I'm selling my cue to get a trevor white or something else lol.

Theres another forum member called "Judas" who also plays in camberwell. Worth giving him a game. lol

Nicholas.

Comment

Cool Son!!

I might have seen you at some point in time at Camberwell then. I've been going there for longer than I can remember.

I know quite a few good players there but they hardly there when I'm there because of the time I go.

Is Rays club above the centre or is it the other one?

Did you lose the to Nick? He is a fairly short Chinese/Vietnamese guy. Very good player and nice guy. I only played him once though.

I might know Judas then. Whats he's real name? Haven't been going on a regular basis for a couple of years now so theres plenty new faces.

Hey you know what I look like now, so if you ever see me at Camberwell come over a play me (I'm usualy by myself now cause I have no regular opponent). We can do a friendly first to 5 or so and just halve the lights. This is what I used to do when I played regularly with friends years ago.

I know what you mean by playing your own game. All these years I've never really practiced, just played.
                          Recently I wanted to become serious and try to imply correct techniques to my game, but it plays on my mind all the time, like whilst i'm down on my shot I'm thinking, Did I walk up to the shot correctly, is my stance right, is my cueing correct, did I get the right line of shot, etc.
                          They say you should do all this before you approach a shot which I do, but I'm so concious about it that it stays in my head when I'm down on the shot to.
                          Oh well I need the mind training, like I mentioned in a reply to the Average break thread.

OH and I prefer to have a nice bend on my cue arm as it feels more comfortable and stable for me.

K dude really hope to catch you at Camberwell sometimes.
                          remember there are loadsa Viet/Chinese guys there so you'll have to come to me as I don't know what you look like.

Comment

Cool Son!!

I might have seen you at some point in time at Camberwell then. I've been going there for longer than I can remember.

I know quite a few good players there but they hardly there when I'm there because of the time I go.

Is Rays club above the centre or is it the other one?

Did you lose the to Nick? He is a fairly short Chinese/Vietnamese guy. Very good player and nice guy. I only played him once though.

I might know Judas then. Whats he's real name? Haven't been going on a regular basis for a couple of years now so theres plenty new faces.

Hey you know what I look like now, so if you ever see me at Camberwell come over a play me (I'm usualy by myself now cause I have no regular opponent). We can do a friendly first to 5 or so and just halve the lights. This is what I used to do when I played regularly with friends years ago.

I know what you mean by playing your own game. All these years I've never really practiced, just played.
                            Recently I wanted to become serious and try to imply correct techniques to my game, but it plays on my mind all the time, like whilst i'm down on my shot I'm thinking, Did I walk up to the shot correctly, is my stance right, is my cueing correct, did I get the right line of shot, etc.
                            They say you should do all this before you approach a shot which I do, but I'm so concious about it that it stays in my head when I'm down on the shot to.
                            Oh well I need the mind training, like I mentioned in a reply to the Average break thread.

OH and I prefer to have a nice bend on my cue arm as it feels more comfortable and stable for me.

K dude really hope to catch you at Camberwell sometimes.
                            remember there are loadsa Viet/Chinese guys there so you'll have to come to me as I don't know what you look like.
                            Rays club is above the centre. A nice club but full of druggies and rough at night lol.

The video isnt too clear so i wouldnt know. Judas' real name is Jude. I lost in the final to a malaysian guy nicknamed "lip".

Do you know Jim? The fat black dude. a fantastic player in his day but he was bitter when i beat him for the lights lol.

I also lost to Dave King who is also a great player and Del Boy too can break build well.

I have seen 1 chinese/vietnamese player there who is quite short and looks about 30. he uses the Parris Elite. I expected to play him in the finals but Lip beat him on handicaps. not sure if this is the same guy.

Once I get hold of a new cue, we can play as long as you like lol. Camberwell or lewisham, whichever is your preference. Mind you, i should b starting a new job so might be dodgy with time. lol

Comment

dUHH

How many times do you want me to say this.

I used to think like you guys.

Until I met Steve shook his hand, and stood right next to him, and having idoilised him for 17 years. I was speechless to find that instead of him towering over me he was no taller than me. I looked at his Armpit height in relation to me, as my cue is 54" up to my armpit and his armpit was no taller than me.

For his cue to be 57" long and go up to his armpit he would have to about 6ft 3.5" and he is no taller than 6"1.5.

It's not Rocket Science.

Ronnie O'sullivan is also about my Height and his cue is around 58" and his cue is allmost level to his shoulder, and he is only a fraction smaller than me and Steve.

Um not going to argue with you because I have seen the facts.

Have you stood next to Steve in his playing clothes and shoes, and measured the space between his armpit and the floor against yourself, when I know the distance on myself.

Further more when Steve has his 6" mini Butt attached like he used to carry it in It comes level with his shoulder, which is the same for me.

Parris is a cue maker, and Didn't make Steve's cue, but I know what I know.

Unless you can meet Steve like I did you can believe a Cue maker's words, which will say anything to sell his cues.

Or believe somebody that has seen the evidence.

Also in a book I have there are alot of pics where the players are standing up and with there cues quite clearly verticle to the floor Meo being one and you can see the comparison, also Higgins being another one that has a cue around Steve's size, and he is a tiny man a cue at 57" would measure up whey above his shoulder.

Like I said I have visual proof and have measured Steve Armpit from the Floor, and seem although that is where his cue has allways come up to.

Parris is talking rubbish, because it is a genetically imposibillity.

Bear in mind I used to be sure that it was 57" as well untill I found out that he was only 1" taller than me
                              Last edited by S Davis Fan; 3 December 2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X