what should/can I do??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should/can I do??

Just got my brand new cue few days ago, played with it, felt great. BUT, there are cracks between splices at the buttom of the shift, really don't know what to do..

Since this is already a replacement cue from that cuemaker, and feel embarrassing to ask him to make me another one, besides that, I play better with this cue. So, does anyone here have any kind of ideas?

Are these cracks going to ruin the whole cue, or make the cue last shorter? Will these cracks grow even worse after few months, and affect my game?

I've heard to use super glue fill into the gaps and then sand it off the extra..is this going to work?

I'll upload some pictures below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32885415@N05/

Many Many Thanks...

what make is the cue ?

Comment

ash shift with ebony butt

Comment

i am no cue maker but had a bit of experience with cues and them lines you see down the splice are not cracks, just how it has been spliced. if you look closely with other handmade cues you will see them on all.

so nothing to worry about

Comment

i meant who made the cue?

Comment

cracks

Hi,
            Those cracks want filling.You're obviously not going to be happy with your cue until it's fixed.As you don't feel inclined to go back to the maker again it's just a matter of deciding which filler would be best for you to use.
            I would steer clear of superglue,its filling properties aren't great and it can loosen with water,sweat or wiping down perhaps.It's not easy to get a flush finish either.
            Over here(uk)we can buy coloured fillers for filling the joints left on kitchen worktops/counters when the corner joints have been butt and scribed.I'm sure there must be a similar product available to you.The advantage is that you can really force it into the join where it forms a very tough and durable finish.The product comes with a fluid solvent which can be used afterwards to give a mirror finish.These fillers do of course come in all colours.

Comment

Originally Posted by jayhoming View Post
              Just got my brand new cue few days ago, played with it, felt great. BUT, there are cracks between splices at the buttom of the shift, really don't know what to do..

Since this is already a replacement cue from that cuemaker, and feel embarrassing to ask him to make me another one, besides that, I play better with this cue. So, does anyone here have any kind of ideas?

Are these cracks going to ruin the whole cue, or make the cue last shorter? Will these cracks grow even worse after few months, and affect my game?

I've heard to use super glue fill into the gaps and then sand it off the extra..is this going to work?

I'll upload some pictures below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32885415@N05/

Many Many Thanks...
              I dont think it is cracked.

If youw ant to fill it, you may want to use a product called Hot Stuff. It is a super glue, that has the viscosity fo water. You can just fill the "gap" with this product, use an acelerator to set it right away, and sand and polish it a bit. You may want to be careful how much you pour that glue in, because it is like water so it really flows. Juts a bit is all you need. I would use a syringe to apply it. But if it is only on the surface, than any super glue should work. I recommend Hot Stuff for those thin but deep gaps.
              Last edited by poolqjunkie; 30 November 2008, 09:37 PM.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
                i am no cue maker but had a bit of experience with cues and them lines you see down the splice are not cracks, just how it has been spliced. if you look closely with other handmade cues you will see them on all.

so nothing to worry about
                Thanks mate, I hope so, it is a piece of mind that the cue will last shorter because of these cracks...

Comment

Originally Posted by paulbur View Post
                  i meant who made the cue?
                  i don't want to point out here, at least by now, because i think he is a responsible cuemaker. He just contact me regarding to the matter, and willing to make another one, so I'd rather consider the "cracks" is an accident, instead of lack of ability to make good cues, as nothing would be perfect and mistake occurs...
                  But thanks mate anyways.

Comment

it does'nt matter who made it or how much it costs if its not right send it back dont feel embarrased you pay your money you expect the product what ever it is to be right.

Comment

about the filling, i'm afraid to use the super glue, as someone said water/sweat would cause damage to it. He(the maker) told me that's not the job I should/or even would be able to do, and will make another one for me with the priority. So, I'll just leave this tough job to him then... Feel relaxed right now, because of his superb after-sale customer service.

really appreciate for the ideas..

Comment

superglue is perfectly good for the job and can be used with no worries or concern about water/sweat.

also, unless you are physically incapable, it is a relatively simple job. so i don't understand why you would be told it is beyond you.

anyway, far simpler to get a replacement. let's keep our fingers crossed it will be 3rd time lucky...

p.s. what was wrong with the first one if you don't mind me asking?
                        Last edited by MikeWooldridge; 30 November 2008, 08:44 PM.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                          superglue is perfectly good for the job and can be used with no worries or concern about water/sweat.

also, unless you are physically incapable, it is a relatively simple job. so i don't understand why you would be told it is beyond you.

anyway, far simpler to get a replacement. let's keep our fingers crossed it will be 3rd time lucky...

p.s. what was wrong with the first one if you don't mind me asking?
                          Mike,
                          What kind of super glue would you sue for a job like this, and how would you go by doing it, if you dont mind me asking?
                          Do you use an accelerator?
                          Could you please share with us how do you deal with it sometimes being a bit more shinny and sometimes fogging up?
                          Thank you.
                          Last edited by poolqjunkie; 30 November 2008, 09:38 PM.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

i suspect that might be in transit damage - planes cargo holds are very cold and if not wrapped up will they can do that along the glue lines.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Just to clarify for everyone interested......

This was a cue I made for Jay, it was done as a replacement for the original cue I made him to his specs. We'd discussed these specs in some detail, and, although I suggested something closer to the second cue made, he decided he wanted to give his idea a go.

This second cue was offered as a free replacement not because there were any faults with the first cue, but, more due to the fact that I wanted him to feel happy with what he'd got from me. There was no charge for this second cue and I covered the cost of shipping to the USA. It was done purely as a goodwill gesture towards Jay.

Now, as for this particular cue being discussed, there is catagorically no way I'd send a cue out with this, or any other noticeable defect knowingly. I am certain that the issues with the gluelines on the shaft splices were not present when the cue left me, so, something has happened to it during transit, although I can't say what that is for sure.

I have told Jay that he can use the cue until I build another for him as soon as possible, and, that I will cover any cost of shipping back the the UK, and also, the cost of shipping the new replacement to the USA.

I have offered him my sincere apologies and we have straightened this out, as in my view, it's simply not good enough at all and I am equally as disappointed as he is, if not more so.

So there we have it, it goes to show that things can and do go wrong for any of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X