Questions about my cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my cue

It's peradon £30 from a webby, don't know the name but one of the stock lower models I'm sure for that price. 57", 16oz, 9mm tip, 3/4, 14" butt that weighs 10z, the balance is at 15.5" from the end + i'm 6ft if that matters.

Played a couple of years now and play very regularly in prac/leagues so just curious what you guys think. I can knock in 20/30/40's (latter quite rare though), but my cue ball control is pretty much my weakest aspect when in amongst the balls, also over hitting safeties by miles then doing them perfectly, quite frustrating.

Pretty aware that assuming a better cue will make you better is a stupid thing to assume, but eventually I'll want to buy a nice cue that will last me a lifetime just putting all these thoughts together to decide when to jump ship so to speak, if I should at all?

Anyway, best I can describe playing with it:
    One thing I notice is if I play with extreme top/side, the contact is very weird feeling, sounds different, doesn't feel true like hitting center ball. But I don't know if thats related to my cue. Also, it does bend quite extremely when I play a power shot my friends say, is that a bad thing?

I'm fed up with having to keep it smooth also, oils / water + cloths don't help me much so far, just keeps getting sticky every a couple of hours an I know it can put me off (simply by being annoying even, silly subconscious).

Lastly, whenever I play with various cues from people at my club they all seem more comfortable when I'm just cueing with them, like they are more centered or something. I just guess since they are heavier, it might give me the false impression it's not wobbling about as much, but I don't know why they all do. My cue often looks alot thinner in conparison.

Call me a newbie if necessary, or should I give further pause for thought?

take the varnish off and refinish would stop the stickyness.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

PM me and ill send you a guide on refinishing
      sigpic <---New Website
      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

@ ADR147 yeah I took the varnish off a long time ago and tried to finish with oil, but it wasn't much to shout about if I have to keep touching it up to take away the quick sticky buildup.

Shot a PM to Tox thanks
        I'll endeavour to use it as long as possible but in the long run I think i'll look for getting a john paris cue, they felt great. And I see some pretty fair priced ones starting at £220 odd, but I can wait a year to sort out my actual ball control first maybe.

Comment

"But I don't know if thats related to my cue. Also, it does bend quite extremely when I play a power shot my friends say, is that a bad thing?"

Just a thought your cue could be too whippy for you, the other cues you tried might have a stiffer shaft.

At the end of the day if your not happy with your cue get another.

Comment

Yes, I think if you feel that everything you have tried feels better than your own, then in your mind you do not have the confidence in your cue that you need in order to play your best.
            Do you hold your cue at the very end, do you sometimes wish you had a long cue especially on power shot or long pots?
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

True enough, but I'd be the last person to blame the cue if I missed something haha. I think it does well enough but I guess I don't know how much a difference it could make to my game if I had something better suited. I can't imagine it.
              In a match I end up using alot of rest shots as it doesn't have a joint for minibutt, but for the other shots you describe I sometimes hold the cue at the rubber bit at the end, gives me another inch than normal

Comment

Originally Posted by kiely View Post
                @ ADR147 yeah I took the varnish off a long time ago and tried to finish with oil, but it wasn't much to shout about if I have to keep touching it up to take away the quick sticky buildup.

Shot a PM to Tox thanks
                I'll endeavour to use it as long as possible but in the long run I think i'll look for getting a john paris cue, they felt great. And I see some pretty fair priced ones starting at £220 odd, but I can wait a year to sort out my actual ball control first maybe.
                they are a bit more than that.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by kiely View Post
                  True enough, but I'd be the last person to blame the cue if I missed something haha. I think it does well enough but I guess I don't know how much a difference it could make to my game if I had something better suited. I can't imagine it.
                  In a match I end up using alot of rest shots as it doesn't have a joint for minibutt, but for the other shots you describe I sometimes hold the cue at the rubber bit at the end, gives me another inch than normal
                  Since I think the balance point does seem a bit more backward than what most cues would have, and you are a tall guy, I am just wondering if that would be the reason why you may not be comfortable with power shots, and you may feel the need to shift your grip more to the butt to the point of not having enough cue to work with in order to get more weight into the shot? Perhaps? In doing do, you may have too long a bridge so your timing might be off and your accuracy suffers? I am not sure, just throwing it out to see what you think?
                  May be a more forward balanced cue would make you feel better? Why dont you try your mates cues and see if you like a balance point may be an inch or so more forward?
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                  X