Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new cue syndrome

hi all

i can remeber this topic being discussed before but couldnt seem to find the thread.

has anyone had the same experience of when getting a new cue the first couple of days or week you can knock everything in and after that cant pot a ball. what happens here? is it due to the newness wearing off or sign of cue not suiting you?

just got a red plate robert osborne cue few yrs old jointed at 14 inch.
    Last edited by mattyshinobi22; 4 December 2008, 09:27 PM.

Always

always happens for me. then i think abt the cue but i dont think so. u cant expect a cue to make u play well.

i suppose wen i got my new cue i loved it

couldnt stop potting but because i was in bliss over it and felt comfortable.

but now im going to john parris tomorow to get it shortened by 2 inches.

it was simply too long and the bad play has allow me to realise what im doing rong.

Comment

yeh am considering altering mine but need to get used it it first.

i this one fails am def stopping with my 1 pce trev cue and just getting a bigger case for extentions

Comment

if u get use to urs and alter it, wont it feel different?

im not sure how cue works because my balance is 18". if 2 inches is taken off then does it affect balance?

and i wernt sure if the 2 inche wud be taken off from the butt of the shaft? because if shaft, then would it have to be re tapered lol

would the balance change? i always assumed the balance is where most of the weight it lol.

Comment

2" is an absolutely massive amount to remove from a cue.

If a player is used to using a cue at 57.5" long, then has 1/2" removed, he will DEFINITELY notice it. So, with that in mind, 2" is going to feel like a mile has been taken off your cue.

How tall are you???

What length is your cue???

What is the weight of the cue overall???

The shortening will no doubt be done from the ferrule end, and as you say, this will mean re-tapering. When this is done, the balance will shift backwards towards the butt end, but as long as it's still not less than 16"..ish, it should be fine.

Whhat are you hoping to achieve by shortening it???

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
            2" is an absolutely massive amount to remove from a cue.

If a player is used to using a cue at 57.5" long, then has 1/2" removed, he will DEFINITELY notice it. So, with that in mind, 2" is going to feel like a mile has been taken off your cue.

How tall are you???

What length is your cue???

What is the weight of the cue overall???

The shortening will no doubt be done from the ferrule end, and as you say, this will mean re-tapering. When this is done, the balance will shift backwards towards the butt end, but as long as it's still not less than 16"..ish, it should be fine.

Whhat are you hoping to achieve by shortening it???
            Hi Trevs1,

My cue is currently 58 inches and i stretch alot which is something that i have noticed.

I want to take down to about 56 - 56 1/4 inches due to the fact that I am only about 5'6 and thats because I have a large head

but my shoulders are about 5'3.

the balance point is currently 18" and the weight I'm not sure but BITTER says its just over 18oz.

I hope that in taking the length down, i will have a more "compact" action and be more consistant. I tried out other cue lengths and decided this is what I want.

Of course if things dont work out, then I will get one of your cues

Comment

trev is spot on, I had my cue made at 55 inches thinking it would be just right, had to have 2 inches put back on as I just couldn't get through the cue ball properly, better to have a cue too long and adjust your grip than too short.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                trev is spot on, I had my cue made at 55 inches thinking it would be just right, had to have 2 inches put back on as I just couldn't get through the cue ball properly, better to have a cue too long and adjust your grip than too short.
                i know exactly wat ur saying. im sure for every player there is a "comfortable" way of holding their cue. my problem is that after i try to adjust my grip, my hand will eventually creep up to the "comfortable" position and in my case, I hold my cue at the very end which would make me over stretch

Comment

Thai son. I have a Burroughs and Watts georgian special costing £150 new for £55+ postage measuring 55" if your interested.
                  sigpic <---New Website
                  Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

thanks for offer totlx.

dont save it for me but when i get afew quid in i will consider it if you still have

Comment

sorry to ask, can we please get bk to subject

has anyone experienced the ups and downs of a new cue?

Comment

I usually play very well with a new cue..But it lasts no more than some hours..

But when i first tried my best cue i didn't like it and i couldn't play well...It took me days to start performing well..

Comment

Cant beat getting a new cue that feels great...inspires you to play...I have tried loads. I like trying out other cues. I Had a John Parris and a Trevor White cue which were my favorites, I wore the JP out and my TW got half went for a walk and never came back since then I have tried and bought a number of cues and have not made a hundred break since...sniff....but this might be because i am rubbish rather than the cue I am using now being to blame.

Comment

Working...
                          X