John Parris custom made cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Parris custom made cue

I am thinking of getting a John Parris cue. On the custom made page of his website it asks for various measurements. I have a few questions about them.

What is the standard butt diameter of your average cue?
    What is the standard weight of your average cue?
    What is the difference between Ebony and Rosewood butt splicing?
    What is the difference between a Ash and Maple shaft?

Thanks

whats your reason for wanting a custom made cue? i wouldnt advise going to get a custom made anything if you dont know what spec you want

Comment

if you need to know these questions you should'nt be having a custom cue made as you are having the cue custom made to suit your needs not the (standard)get to your local snooker cue shop and try some cues out when you get an idea of what you like go from there.

Comment

I know roughly what spec I want, I just want to know how close it will come to the current cue I am using (I don't know the specs of it, but I think they are all probably standard).

This is what I think I want:

Length: 55"
        Weight: 15oz
        Tip: 9mm
        Butt diameter: Not sure. Just standard.

Comment

Originally Posted by danbo View Post
          I know roughly what spec I want, I just want to know how close it will come to the current cue I am using (I don't know the specs of it, but I think they are all probably standard).

55" is 2 - 2 1/2 inches below average. nothing wrong with that if your not tall.

15oz very light. i would say average is around 17.5 - 19

9mm. nothing wrong with that. 9.5mm usually as standard.

standard should be ok for butt diameter

Comment

thats no where near standard. standard cue is 57/58 in long 9.5/10mm tip 17.5/18.5 oz long 29.5mm/30mm butt

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
              55" is 2 - 2 1/2 inches below average. nothing wrong with that if your not tall.

15oz very light. i would say average is around 17.5 - 19

9mm. nothing wrong with that. 9.5mm usually as standard.

standard should be ok for butt diameter
              I am 170cm, I currently have a 57" cue and find that it is too long and I tend to hold it around two inches from the cue.

I want a cue that is lighter than my current cue but I don't know how much it weighs.

My current tip is 9mm.

Comment

I am thinking of getting a John Parris cue. On the custom made page of his website it asks for various measurements. I have a few questions about them.

What is the standard butt diameter of your average cue? 29-30mm
                What is the standard weight of your average cue? 17.5 - 18 Oz
                What is the difference between Ebony and Rosewood butt splicing? Just different types of wood, ebony's dark, rosewood's lightWhat is the difference between a Ash and Maple shaft? Ash has grain patterns & chevrons showing while maple's a solid wood color
                Thanks
                Having said that, a cue's a very personal item. What one person likes & is comfy with isn't another person's cup of tea so my advice is before you place an order just try a few cues in maple, ash, different weights, see if you prefer the dark color of ebony butts or the lighter color of rosewood or any other type of wood that JP has to offer, you also wanna decide on which tip size you wanna use, which length suits you and whether the cue will be a 1 pc, butt jointed or center jointed.

Good luck with your purchase
                Give'em hell, Mark :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                  thats no where near standard. standard cue is 57/58 in long 9.5/10mm tip 17.5/18.5 oz long 29.5mm/30mm butt
                  I never said I wanted a standard cue, that's why I want a custom made cue.

Comment

I am 170cm, I currently have a 57" cue and find that it is too long and I tend to hold it around two inches from the cue.

I want a cue that is lighter than my current cue but I don't know how much it weighs.

My current tip is 9mm.
                    wel.. im 5'6 and your 5'7

i took my cue to john parris on friday and he said that i could do with gettin it taken down to 55" but i might not like it so i should go for 56" and if i need shorter, then i should get it taken down further.

if you want to go shorter than 57, i would say 56 - 56 1/2

Comment

go to a good cue shop most will have the spec of the cues around the shaft try them out when you find 1 you like you will know what suits you. i have had quite afew custom cues made from parris and he makes good cues but the thing about having a custom cue made is you cant try before you buy it so you might not like it when you get it if i was you i would go to (if possible) craftsman cues or martin chesworth in shefield he had a very good choice of cues find 1 you like and to your spec at least you will know you like the cue before you spend your money.

Comment

go to a good cue shop most will have the spec of the cues around the shaft try them out when you find 1 you like you will know what suits you. i have had quite afew custom cues made from parris and he makes good cues but the thing about having a custom cue made is you cant try before you buy it so you might not like it when you get it if i was you i would go to (if possible) craftsman cues or martin chesworth in shefield he had a very good choice of cues find 1 you like and to your spec at least you will know you like the cue before you spend your money.
                        spot on. i would advise that also. or get your current cue weighed

Comment

but your specs arent probably standard.

Comment

but your specs arent probably standard.
                            I know what I want in comparison to my current cue. I can derive new specs from the spec of my current cue (probably standard spec). That is why I wanted to know what the standard spec is.

Comment

what is your current cue? to be honest having read through this post i suspect you might be better looking else where or if you live in london visit john. i assume at 55" and a 9mm tip its for pool? but to answer your original question others have given you standard specs i would add there is no difference other than looks between rosewood and ebony and maple and ash are very different maple is heavier. you will not get a maple cue at 15oz i don't think it can be done.
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X