No announcement yet.

John Parris custom made cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure it can be done but is very light.
    Is it for pool?
    I like a light cue but 15oz will feel very light for snooker.

You should be more sure before you buy. You can make small alterations afterwards but changing weight When I was trying out different things I spent a day at Craftsman depends on what they have in but I've played with down to 14oz and they usually have something short in.
    The balance point is very important too.

Any particular reason for a Parris? Do you live in London?
    Have you considered other Makers at all?

Comment

No the cue will not be for pool, I have always used a 9mm tip, not even sure why.

I was thinking that maybe the cue could be 16 or 16.5 oz and possibly 56" long.

I considered John Parris just because of his reputation, I am not really aware of any other cue makers. I don't live anywhere near London (about 200 miles away)

Thanks for your replies guys, even though some of them were a little condescending.

Comment

where do you live.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
          where do you live.
          I live in Swansea.

Comment

you are only 20 miles from trevor white!
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Not wanting to seem like I'm looking for the work here, but my view on it is this......

It appears clear you aren't sure of the specs you require, or, even the timber you'd prefer for the shaft, so at this point, it might be best to give it a little more time to consider these things. The variables of cue specs spoken about here so far might not appear to be much either way, but, they can make such enormous differences to the feel and behaviour of a cue. So, with that in mind, it may be wisest to hold on and do a little more research into what you 'really' do have a preference for.

In my own opinion, a cue at 15oz's will likely feel it lacks something in certain situations playing snooker, while on an 8ball pool table, it's not an issue. If you are looking for a snooker cue, then I would not recommend a cue of less than 16 to 16.5oz's minimum. Also, another way to look at it if you're going to have a cue custom built, is to go slightly over many of the dimensions you feel you might actually end up sticking with, as this will at least allow you scope to alter and tweak the cue into perfection for your own tastes.

Having said that, the idea with getting a cue custom built is to get it as close to correct in the first place, assuming you have a 'definite' specification to work with that is.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                Not wanting to seem like I'm looking for the work here, but my view on it is this......

It appears clear you aren't sure of the specs you require, or, even the timber you'd prefer for the shaft, so at this point, it might be best to give it a little more time to consider these things. The variables of cue specs spoken about here so far might not appear to be much either way, but, they can make such enormous differences to the feel and behaviour of a cue. So, with that in mind, it may be wisest to hold on and do a little more research into what you 'really' do have a preference for.

In my own opinion, a cue at 15oz's will likely feel it lacks something in certain situations playing snooker, while on an 8ball pool table, it's not an issue. If you are looking for a snooker cue, then I would not recommend a cue of less than 16 to 16.5oz's minimum. Also, another way to look at it if you're going to have a cue custom built, is to go slightly over many of the dimensions you feel you might actually end up sticking with, as this will at least allow you scope to alter and tweak the cue into perfection for your own tastes.

Having said that, the idea with getting a cue custom built is to get it as close to correct in the first place, assuming you have a 'definite' specification to work with that is.
                Where are you situated? I might pop in some time when I have a clearer picture of what I want.

Comment

Hi mate, obviously i'm new here so don't hold any respect from anyone else as noone knows me, but without wanting to sound cocky or arrogant i'll give my verdict.

If i was you i would look elswhere to John Parris. There is no doubt that he is an amazing cue maker and having played with one of his paragon cues for many years i can't fault them. i was lucky enough to find one on ebay at an absolute snip. Luckily for me the person listing the sale had put it on for a one day sale and had listed it as a John Paris cue not Parris. I got 1 piece paragon ash and ebony cue, case, mini and telescopic for £180. Now having priced the cue up on John site the job lot would cost almost £600. Before the doubters move in i will say that it is a genuine article as I sent it back to John to have some work done on it.

Anyway, If you're interested in a custom cue that will last an eternity then have a look at http://www.couttscues.co.uk/ . Dave and Louise run a great service and now do all my cue work.

This is not a spam or advert just an oportunity to pass on some good advice on a service that has helped me.
                  Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Comment

If you want a good cue try before you buy when at all possible....I would not know Trevor White if he fell out of my apple tree, but I have owned two of his cues and I consider him to be one of the best cue makers in the world...if you live near him I say go there. Parris are good stiff playable cues although I hate the joint they use and I have had good and bad ones. Stamford cues are fantastic and very affordable and Mike Wooldridge is good although a little on the pricey side as are Hunt and O B and anyone else not mentioned may on occasion make a good cue but most are also rans..

Also I agree with other posts dont buy a custom made cue because you are not sure what spec you need... wasting money.

Comment

Originally Posted by danbo View Post
                      I know roughly what spec I want, I just want to know how close it will come to the current cue I am using (I don't know the specs of it, but I think they are all probably standard).

This is what I think I want:

Length: 55"
                      Weight: 15oz
                      Tip: 9mm
                      Butt diameter: Not sure. Just standard.
                      What specs are your current cue? MEASURE IT!! Especially the butt diameter, as a very small difference can feel huge eg. standard measurements can be from 28-31mm! HUGE difference. Most old cues were thicker ie. 30- 33mm, modern standard is about 29.5mm, so the age of your cue can play a role as well.
                      Is your cue a 1piece or 3/4 or 50/50? This can also play a role.
                      Concerning the length, I understand that your current cue is 57" and you hold it 2" in from the end and you are 5'5". I'm 5'11" and use a 57" cue and hold it 2" from the end and if I have to stretch then I'm happy to have the extra 2" there. What I mean is, it's better to have a cue that's too long and be able to use the extra length just in case than to need the extra 2" and find they are not there! I know you can have a mini-butt but they are heavy (!!) and change the balance of your cue and they can be a nuisance to install.
                      Last piece of advice, try as many cues as possible to get a better idea of what you want before ordering a custom cue.
                      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

I know my specs because I'm getting a custom cue made by dragon cues im 5' 3 and a junior so everything is small and every 2 years I'm just ordering a longer shaft with the same specs just longer.

Comment

Working...
                        X