raised grain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raised grain.

hi i have just oiled my cue with linseed oil and after a couple of days i have noticed the the chevrons seem very slighty raised and you can feel them when you run your hand down the cue, does anybody know why this has happened?

Thats happened to me before,
    Does anyone know why this happens?

Comment

The grain has not raised, the outer (White) part will have. Get some 000 and 00000 grade wire wool. Rub the shaft down with the 000 and then the 00000. This should solve the raised areas. Goodluck

Dan
      sigpic <---New Website
      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

I also noticed that on some old ash. It seems to me that the darker grains have contracted more than the whiter part, perhaps because they are more porous and have dried out over time.
        In your case, it happened after you applied oil, so it is a different story.
        I think the oil being absorbed by the whiter part of the ash which was perhaps quite dry to begin with have caused the expansion?
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
          I also noticed that on some old ash. It seems to me that the darker grains have contracted more than the whiter part, perhaps because they are more porous and have dried out over time.
          the same problem with my cue, so annoying....
          sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by recoil View Post
            the same problem with my cue, so annoying....
            I think that to solve that problem, some linseed oil is necessary. Just apply liberally and see what the cue soaks up. If necessary repeat, and again, and again ...
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
              I think that to solve that problem, some linseed oil is necessary. Just apply liberally and see what the cue soaks up. If necessary repeat, and again, and again ...
              Just a point on what your saying. The cue i had from you as you know was bone dry and the grain was very deep. I had to grain fill it first off, then oil (9 times in total). But due to the ash taking in oil and slight expansion the pale areas were raising and the grain stayed the same level. So you sand the shaft down and get it smooth with some fine sandpaper, then oil once more and any slight raised areas can be grained again and lightly sanded. Takes time but it stops you from pulling stubble off you chin
              sigpic <---New Website
              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

That's why I posted the basic information, I knew you would come in to point out the finer details. And you did it so well ...!
                Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Thanks for that Keith!
                  Only I think that the bottle of linseed oil would exceed the value of my broomie. lol
                  And as totlxtc said, I think I would need to sand the shaft down first, to level it, because the grains on my cue are now "long canyons" so to speak.
                  On the other hand, should I be doing it all now that my broomie is counting her last days on the job?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                    Takes time but it stops you from pulling stubble off you chin
                    I thought that happens only to me.
                    But in my case it's the joint that does it. Lol (not!)
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that Keith!
                      Only I think that the bottle of linseed oil would exceed the value of my broomie. lol
                      And as totlxtc said, I think I would need to sand the shaft down first, to level it, because the grains on my cue are now "long canyons" so to speak.
                      On the other hand, should I be doing it all now that my broomie is counting her last days on the job?
                      A good workman takes care of his tools!

Comment

I thought that happens only to me.
                        But in my case it's the joint that does it. Lol (not!)
                        Just because you're to cheap to buy a razor! lol

Comment

A good workman takes care of his tools!
                          You're so right!

Just because you're to cheap to buy a razor lol!
                          I must be having some Scottish blood in me, eh? lol
                          sigpic

Comment

Touché, my friend.

Comment

I have never used any grain filler, how does that work?

Does it make any difference if you oil first then fill, or do you have to fill first?
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X