raised grain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raised Grain

With Ash it has a naturally deep grain. Fillers, ebony dust, stone dust etc has been used to fill the grain in order to make the shaft smoother. If you add oil to the cue the shaft will expand due to the oil entering the pores of the wood (fig.i + fig.ii) and produce the raised effect. Also if the grain "filler" has fallen out or been sanded away it will also result in the raised effect. The way to resolve this is if the grain fill has fallen out is to simply refill and sand the shaft back and wire wool (fig.iii DO NOT SAND LIKE THE IMAGE - IT IS A REPRESENTATION). If the filler has not come loose then simply work it back but remember to do all the shaft or you will have a oval cue in no time.

sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Impressed with the pretty pictures!
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Yeah, very nice, Dan. Are you thinking of writing a book? "The Idiots Guide to Cue Maintenance"? Lol Could be a best-seller!
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
          With Ash it has a naturally deep grain. Fillers, ebony dust, stone dust etc has been used to fill the grain in order to make the shaft smoother. If you add oil to the cue the shaft will expand due to the oil entering the pores of the wood (fig.i + fig.ii) and produce the raised effect. Also if the grain "filler" has fallen out or been sanded away it will also result in the raised effect. The way to resolve this is if the grain fill has fallen out is to simply refill and sand the shaft back and wire wool (fig.iii DO NOT SAND LIKE THE IMAGE - IT IS A REPRESENTATION). If the filler has not come loose then simply work it back but remember to do all the shaft or you will have a oval cue in no time.

where can you purchase the grain filler from, and will this work for deep scratches and knicks?

Comment

solution to the raised grain.

I've noticed this probl;em over many years with new and old cues that i have re-conditioned,
            you can sand and sand, but eventually you'll just have a tooth pick.
            I created a new wax solution mixture, which I apply after feeding the wood with the oil.
            TIP. leave the cue as long as possible to absorb the oil, the wood will only take as much as it needs.
            I lightly rub the surface with 0000 grade wire wool. then apply the wax mixture, leave to harden then buff to high finish. repeat this if needed.
            Then the most simple and clever idea that I came across is (when asking on TSF about removing dents) get a thick glass jar, and rub the entire length of the shaft, it will take time, but will produce a perfect finish. and flatten the raised grain.
            I have found that using a jar with a curve in it as in the nescafe jar. see picture.
            as using a normal jar could produce flat spots, if not used carefully.
            the wax mixture will be soon on sale. had amazing feedback from the cues that i have prepared. just getting labels printed at the moment. will not be expensive.
            Let me know of your thoughts and what happens when you try this method.

Comment

Working...
            X