Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebony flecks

hi everyone,

my cue is plain black ebony but there are brown bits. how do i go about getting it sprayed over so its completely black?

what kind of spray do i use? any steps or procedures would be great.

many thanks in advance for any response.

nicholas

The last thing i'd be doing is spraying it mate, the wood won't be able to breath. No ebony is actually black, it's very dark brown. however, some are darker than others and the higher the quility the more consistant the colour.

If you really have to try and make it a consistant colour then try Brywax Hydrocote wood dye. It's avalable in black. You won't get it jet black but it will be pretty close.

http://www.briwax.co.uk/products/hydrocotedyes.html

Here's a link
    Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
      hi everyone,

my cue is plain black ebony but there are brown bits. how do i go about getting it sprayed over so its completely black?

what kind of spray do i use? any steps or procedures would be great.

many thanks in advance for any response.

nicholas

Hi Nicholas.
      please do not mess with the cue, like everybody has different finger prints, the brown marks on your ebony butt are much the same as each piece of wood is different, enjoy them as there your and nobody else has the same marks on there cue.

Comment

i suppose so platt. perhaps i shouldnt

Comment

There's definitely a limit on how much you'll really improve the blackness of ebony anyway, though ink is one way of going about it.

Many cues made have not got 'very' black ebony, as much of what is available is not the best quality you can get. Still, this is kind of indicative of the supply over recent times, with timber merchants pushing the indiferent quality in with the superior stuff, just to enable them to move it on.

It is definitely a fact that VERY black ebony is the most beautiful looking stuff, but, it is going to be sold and used at an ever increasing premium over the more 'normal' coloured timber, and, it's going to become more and more tricky to obtain reliable supplies for it.

I'd leave it alone and enjoy it.

Comment

aesthetics is the only reason of course. and ive always wanted the darkest ebony.

but never had it. im just fussy with cues lol. i always find some kind of problem with it lol

Comment

Is it not possible to just get a full black cue in the first place?

Comment

Is it not possible to just get a full black cue in the first place?

Comment

I've a cue with a small fleck the size of a fingernail cutting in an otherwise jet black ebony butt and i'll never stain it because when someone sees the badge and says it's a cheap painted chinese cue i say "yeah it's chinese allright but so what? I sanded it all back to discover it's proper ebony and the speck proves it go have a look at you own in the sunlight."

On another cue with an equally sized spec it irritated me no end so with a fine paintbrush and spirit based ebony stain it's un noticable now in fact after a year now i cant remember where i applied the stain.

Then theres a tulipwood cue I have where almost all the ebony is the splices to the shaft. These were slightly grey so again with the same stuff (3.50 off ebay) the contrast of ebony and an almost orange tulipwood is now far more striking.

Mind it only works on ebony, my geordie pool supreme so called ebony when sanded back was in fact a very light rosewood which needed loads of the stain and now is a very dark brown.

Spirit based stain is far better than water based as it penetrates deeper, dries almost instantly and many applications can be done in no time. The more thats applied the darker it gets.

Comment

Working...
                  X