1pc/2pc Or 3/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1pc/2pc Or 3/4

Hi all,first post for me,back to snooker after 15 yrs lay off.This must have been asked loads,here goes again.Whats the best cue,1 piece,2 piece or the seemingly now popular 3/4...and why ?

No 'best' as such, just a matter of choice and preference.

3/4 cues have become popular due to the fact that they're easily transported, and,because originally, they were useful in respect of connecting extensions to. It might also be argued that because they offer more 'natural' weight than a traditional one piece cue, they have a bit of an advantage in power terms with the development of the more modern style of play, including the more agressive long game. In reality though, a one piece cue of a medium weight is just as versatile as any 3/4 cue, so the argument above holds little water.

Recent times have definitely seen a return to more players choosing one piece cues again. I can't explain why that is, other than from influence of certain professionals also using them.

Truth is, there's no ideal choice, it's up to the individual player and their own preference.
    Last edited by trevs1; 22 December 2008, 09:44 PM.

Comment

What did you play with before? 1pc, 2pc or 3/4? Machine-spliced or hand-spliced? I have reasons for asking and it'll shorten my answer if you take the time to respond!
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Hi,played mostly wit 1 pc,a little with 2 pc but never used a 3/4

Comment

Keith,not sure about splicing

Comment

Ok, if you've already mainly played with a 1pc cue, which was the case, then it'd probably be easier to take up snooker again with something you're used to, makes sense, right?
            The reason I asked about the splicing is that, in the main, a 1pc hand-spliced cue has the ash all the way to the bottom of the butt, eg 57" long, however, a 1pc machine-spliced cue had a solid hardwood butt spliced onto a shorter shaft which is, basically, the same method used to make a 3/4 cue except you have a 3/4 joint and the splicing can be done by hand.
            If you don't remember, then what I'd recommend is finding a shop or a club where you can try out a few different types of cues to find out what feels most comfortable, and, if that isn't possible/practical or just doesn't help, then I'd buy a 1piece, because, if needs be, you can always get it jointed above or through the splices for transport purposes.

Hope this helps,
            Keith
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

thanks for the help,I did ask a well known celeb pro who advised a 1 pc as the FEEL was better with no joint to stop the transmission of FEEL through the cue.not sure yet,but reading some of the other posts it does seem like good and bad in all different types,jointed or not.also its just down to individual feel and prefference and how you basically get on with it eh ?

Comment

Horses for courses, my friend! I agree with the FEEL aspect, but I was also told that it's possible to "tweak" a 3/4 cue to make it play more like a 1pc and vice versa, although how I don't know, by a very reputable cuemaker who has already posted in this thread!
                You could always contact him directly and explain the type of FEEL you're looking for and ask him what he recommends; you can trust him!

Comment

Working...
                X