Cue straightening.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue straightening.

Can anyone please explain the processes involved in cue straightening?

Thanks a lot.

Ted

I am no expert in this department, but I have done this before and my method worked. Not sure if it is the best method.
    When a cue is bend, there is a convex curve at the bend. When you look at a cue placing on the table with a part of it showing a curve upward, you will notice that the upper part is expanded more than the lower part--hence the formation of a curve.
    So, if you can expand the lower part of this curve, you could reduce this bend.
    I usually just use an iron, and some steam to apply heat and moisture to the lower part of this curve over a towel, causing it to expand slightly, in order to reduce this curve that is the bend.
    After I am done, I will hang the cue up for a certain period of time, and it is usually good.
    I am sure there are some other methods better than mine, and I would ove to hear them.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Boil a pot of water on the oven top.
      When it's steaming, hold the bent area of the cue over the steam until the wood starts to sweat pretty well.
      You can now apply enough pressure to straighten the cue.
      Be careful not to 'over bend'...as it's easy to go too far....it is pretty supple when steam induced.
      If you do bend too far...smae deal applies....steam then starighten.
      You can use your eye as a guide or a straight edge or benchtop.

Goodluck.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Do your straps stay straight ever after?

Happy holidays.

Ted

Comment

Sorry, I mean cues not straps.

I make watch straps as hobbies.

Ted

Comment

I know the best cue straightener in the world, but he wont help you because the agent he uses is Top secret and none of us on the forum have the security clearance to get it, Damn!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ted Su(TW) View Post
              Sorry, I mean cues not straps.

I make watch straps as hobbies.

Ted
              lol really confused me for a second there

Comment

Well, I am nto sure about others, but the cues I have straightened seem to be fine so far. Nevertheless, if you handle or store it badly, or if the wood is just really poorly seasoned, I think it will bend again.
                I would imagine most straightening method is a variation of applying water and heat to cause the wood to expand. I woudl like to hear some other methods.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Do your straps stay straight ever after?

Happy holidays.

Ted
                  Yes Ted, cues I have straightened have stayed straight.

Comment

My warped cue is a Robert Osborne. I believe it's warped because of the different weather conditions between the UK and Taiwan. I bought it second hand.

Thanks for all the inputs. I will give it a try in the holidays and let you know how it turns out.

Happy holidays~

Ted

Comment

My warped cue is a Robert Osborne. I believe it's warped because of the different weather conditions between the UK and Taiwan. I bought it second hand.

Thanks for all the inputs. I will give it a try in the holidays and let you know how it turns out.

Happy holidays~

Ted
                      Taiwan is very humid and hot outdoor, and dry and cool indoor due to air conditioning that is on pretty much 24 hours a day, is that correct?
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

It depends on the seasons. In winter (Dec to March), it's pretty cold due to the high humidity. In the summer (Jun to september) it's really hot and humid.

Comment

I have the same problem with my cue. I ll try to hold the bent area of the cue over the steam but how much time i should wait after this to play with it?

Comment

I highly recommend the Master cuemaker - Keith Auld to you!
                            He can do a magic works on you cue from a bit bend become to seriously bend,so you can call Keith Auld If you don't care your cue or a cheapest cue.

Comment

Working...
                            X