Hunt and Osbourne or Mike Wooldridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANY WAY!!!!!!!..................Please.....back on the subject

Jason, it would be nice to know what H&O cue and what Wooldridge cue you would be looking for.
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Well, I have seen a few of HO and MW, but only a few. So, I cannot really comment on the quality as a whole. In my limited experience, I do notice that they both have very nice hit, and are both very well made.
      I like Mike's finish better, and his style is more unique in my opinion. I like what he did to the badge, and his taper. Mike strikes me as a guy who is not only a good cue maker but someone who is always trying to improve on the conventional cue making method, to improve his standards.
      Mike also offers a line of Shark cues for those who are on a budget.
      The H&O cues I have seen are really monster hitters. They have a very nice hit to them especially on long stun shots, very very solid and nice. Nevertheless, I have tried a Will Hunt, 3/4, that I was not so keen on as compared to the one piece H&O I have tried. The 3/4 was a nice cue, but somehow was not as responsive as the H&O in my opinion--still very nice cue though. It may just be because it was a bit longer than what I was used to.
      I consider Will Hunt a great cue maker who has mastered the technique in making very traditional and classical cues. Will Hunt's cue always holds its value really well all over the world.
      If I have to choose between the two, I would buy a cue from Mike though, because I like the unique style and contemporary touch he has put in his work. His cues look very refined and elegant.
      I also like his confidence, and the pride and integrity he has displayed. I know he would be too proud to let anything inferior to leave his shop, so I can trust him to offer me great value for my money.
      To call himself the best cue maker is alright in my book. If he does not beleive he is the best, why is he even bother doing it?
      I do consider these two cue makers a touch above John Parris in terms of prestige and value, but that is just my own opinion.
      Last edited by poolqjunkie; 9 January 2009, 06:16 AM.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Some years ago John Parris was accused of importing cue blanks partially finished from Asia, John Parris will confirm that he did do so at some stage, he will also tell you that he no longer does and that all the cues he sells are 100% made in his London workshop by his staff from raw materials John sources himself, he is very friendly and forthcoming in showing you around his workshop and explain to you how the cues are made,and he certainly knows his business,you can choose from his catalogue cues on display or place an order for a specific type of cue you might want, Robert Osborne is exactly the same, many on this forum would have gone through his factory and observe the cues being made, likewise if you are a top player or touring pro, you want to visit your cuemakers factory and discuss with him the requirements you may have, I have looked at Mike Wooldridges website, I have read the claims of best in the world etc., like others on this forum I will not register on line to receive information,hence I have not bought a ME cue todate, I have seen a number of Mikes cues, and not only the vacuum joints but the whole cue looked very much like an O Min cue to me, the difference being that Mike uses the vacuum joint for the extension inserts as well, I have been told by players who own both a MW and O Min cue that they think apart from that extension joint both cues are identical, I have not examined them in that detail but I can tell you that the vacuum joints certainly are, Mike, if you can reply here I would happily order a custom cue from you as well but I would want to see the factory where the cues are made, I have read where you say you are to busy to show customers through your factory, I am sorry but that does not wash with me, you seem to find the time, a lot of it actually, to correspond with members on this forum, besides it is not good business practice to accept the customers money but refuse information, if there is a factory what is the problem? can you state here cathegorically that all the cues you sell online are 100% made in your workshop from raw materials sourced by yourself, and that you dont have an association with any other cuemaker in Asia or elsewhere.
        By the way Paul Roberts, Dave Coutts, Robin Cook, Kevin Muncaster, Dave Brown and I would assume Trevor White as well, are all equally happy to show you their workshop and to discuss your requirements, I have not personally met Trevor but I have two of his cues and I am sure if alterations were required he would happily meet with me in his factory to discuss them, both cues from Trevor are as good as you can make a cue, and that is about as much praise as you can give anyone, the finish on his cues which are just standard specification at around 340 pounds each is better then the 480+ pound Parris LE, both makes of cues are excellent and will more then allow you to play the best you can ever be.

Comment

JP1,

Does Trevor White have a "factory?"

I am always under the impression that he makes his cues at his house, which is absolutely fine in my opinion.

Trevor White does not even have a web site. Does that mean he refuses to give information to his customers? Since you also cannot register on his web site (because he does not even have one), does that stop you from buying his cues? You have purchased two, didn't you?

May be I want to place an order from Trevor White, I need to ask to first see pictures of his "factory" and then have him swear under oath that his cues are all made in UK blah blah blah?

About John Parris. In my honest opinion, and I have no vested interest in this matter at all, if he could buy some nice blanks and finish his cues to top quality, that is a good thing. He would be able to offer his customer a top notch cue with great splices with a much shorter waiting period. What is the big deal to have some assistants making the blanks in his shop, and someone in Thailand making them? If the Thai ones are better or just as good, why not use them?

I know a lot of the extensions used by snooker makers are made in China, so are cue cases. Does that mean you will think less of the cue using such extensions?

What about the ferrule, and the joint material? Would it make a difference to the cue if they were made in China? The components in my computers are made in China and they seem to be working just fine, so I guess they are capable of making decent metal components for cues over there? What difference does it make if they are of top quality? why would you insist on that it be made in the UK?

If 100% UK made is a reflection of quality, have you looked into Keith Auld's cues? They are 100% made in the UK, not even with the help of any machines. He also has a web site with address and phone number and pictures of his workshop. So, he is willing to offer you the information you feel you are paying for.

JP1, not mean to be a nit, but using period (full stop) once in a while, and seperating your ideas and thoughts with the use of paragraph is something you may want to look into.

Your above post has got to be the longest run on sentence I have ever read in my entire life, with only one period (full stop) at the very end if I am not mistaken. It is amazing.
          Last edited by poolqjunkie; 9 January 2009, 06:18 AM.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Im my opinion the great appeal of a bespoke hand made cue is the fact that you buy not only a brand name of a famous craftsman but a good made by the person itself together with his employees.
            Goods with famous brand names have a great market. And if i buy a Louis Vuitton case i do not know where it is from. And i do not care because i want to show that i can affort to buy it.
            But if i am looking for craftsmanship i want to who does the work and how. It is the same with made-to-measure suits or shoes or cues.
            Maybe there are not that common known than Vuitton or Hermes or Boss or whatever.
            But it is a different approach.
            So i prefer to have the possibility to have a look at a workshop -small or big- instead of buying a name.
            I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

I always think that there is meaningless to compare the same class cue.
              Different peoples have diff. taste!.See?

Comment

I've not been on Mikes site for a while, but if memory serves me right there is pictures of the workshop, staff and so forth.. ? can anyone comment on this ?

Comment

Originally Posted by platt View Post
                  I've not been on Mikes site for a while, but if memory serves me right there is pictures of the workshop, staff and so forth.. ? can anyone comment on this ?
                  Yes, of course there are pictures of his employee, of Mike cutting and measuring the splices, picking out woods, and also pictures of Mike's wood blanks, and his lathe and so forth on his web site. Anyone with any kind of basic comprehension would have noticed that.
                  Mike's web site is in my opinion one of the very best cue site, it is not only aiming at selling cues but also at providing info for those who want to know how to take care of their cues, of the difference between various splices, and many other valuable info that cannot be found on other sites.
                  Some people just are not knowledgable enough to tell the difference between things.
                  Just because two cues have the same joint (BTW, it is not called vacuum joint, it is called Airlock) does not mean they come from the same place. Just as because two cues have the same ash shaft does not mean they are made by the same guy.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                    Yes, of course there are pictures of his employee, of Mike cutting and measuring the splices, picking out woods, and also pictures of Mike's wood blanks, and his lathe and so forth on his web site. Anyone with any kind of basic comprehension would have noticed that.
                    Mike's web site is in my opinion one of the very best cue site, it is not only aiming at selling cues but also at providing info for those who want to know how to take care of their cues, of the difference between various splices, and many other valuable info that cannot be found on other sites.
                    Some people just are not knowledgable enough to tell the difference between things.
                    Just because two cues have the same joint (BTW, it is not called vacuum joint, it is called Airlock) does not mean they come from the same place. Just as because two cues have the same ash shaft does not mean they are made by the same guy.
                    completely agree - a very very informative and well presented website - one little tip - as well as the nav buttons on the left side of the screen, the coloured buttons top right of the screen are well worth clicking! BTW it's www.handmadecues.com if that hasn't already been mentioned ...

Welsh Pool Trading also use airlock joints - I have a "Welsh Dragon" and I think they're reall cool

Comment

O,Min cues look like Wooldridge ...somebody needs glasses !

Comment

Just a point. Mike may no longer be using those joints anyway. He has own design now. Also another fact, all of you Wooldridge cue owners have had his missus's fine and expert hands providing the beautiful final finish for you

Bet Parris cant give you a womans touch
                        sigpic <---New Website
                        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                          Also another fact, all of you Wooldridge cue owners have had his missus's fine and expert hands providing the beautiful final finish for you
                          well she is rather good when it comes to oiling a shaft...
                          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                            mike - maybe you should change your website name from handmadecues to handjobcues lol ...

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                              Mike... do not tempt me with this ban bait!

=o/

Noel

Comment

bloody hell, this is gonna be a long post. apologies if i bore anyone...

Originally Posted by JP1 View Post

I will not register on line to receive information,hence I have not bought a ME cue to date
                                that's your choice.

i like to know who i'm actually dealing with. just a personal thing. that's the way i run my business.

that's my choice.

I have seen a number of Mikes cues
                                i don't send many cues to australia. which particular models have you seen?

i'm just curious. you have the advantage in that you are talking about something and i don't know myself what exactly you are comparing.

but regardless, in fairness, o'min make a good cue. as do others. if they make one like mine then no reason why it wouldn't look good eh?

the difference being that Mike uses the vacuum joint for the extension inserts as well, I have been told by players who own both a MW and O Min cue that they think apart from that extension joint both cues are identical, I have not examined them in that detail but I can tell you that the vacuum joints certainly are,
                                that subject has been covered many times. i've used lots of joins over the years both original, and similar to others.

but it's a moot point anyway. my new join will be introduced this month. no more comparisons.

incidentally, for several years i used the 1/2" whitworth thread join , identical to the hunt & o'byrne original. my engineer made them to my specs but to all intents and purposes they were the same. have you seen any of them?

but nobody accused me of having will hunt make the cues. even when i was making identically sized copies of the long butt join cue...

Mike, if you can reply here I would happily order a custom cue from you as well but I would want to see the factory where the cues are made, I have read where you say you are to busy to show customers through your factory, I am sorry but that does not wash with me
                                sorry you feel that way. i've never had a factory. i've only ever worked out of a small workshop (home).

20-10 years ago, people were welcome in my workshop. many can vouch for the fact they have seen their cues being made.

but that's in the past. it took over my life with people turning up at all times. when i moved, i stopped all that.

i am entitled to a personal life and privacy.

that's my choice these days.

you seem to find the time, a lot of it actually, to correspond with members on this forum
                                lmao! is that wrong as well now? anyway, i don't sleep much. you'll find most of my posts late night ones...

and i've only been on this forum for a year. for 20 years i've managed without it. what's wrong with a bit of chat in my spare time?

besides it is not good business practice to accept the customers money but refuse information, if there is a factory what is the problem?
                                lol. i spent months writing a website that is full of info to help people understand cues better in order that they can make the right choice.

i don't see that as refusing info.

i just don't take visitors anymore, and personally i don't see why that should be a problem.

if a customer is uncomfortable with that, they are free to move on.

i'm absolutely fine with that.

can you state here cathegorically that all the cues you sell online are 100% made in your workshop from raw materials sourced by yourself, and that you dont have an association with any other cuemaker in Asia or elsewhere.
                                why should i? why do i owe anyone an explanantion of what i do?

if i say yes, will that stop people asking questions cos they saw an o'min or whatever that they thought looked like mine? or heard someone else say it?

no.

if i say no, will that mean my cues are no good anymore?

no.

it's pointless.

bottom line is:

i sell a product. you either like it or you don't. you either buy it, or you don't.

if there is something you don't like about me or my business then you are free to go elsewhere.

i've been around a long time, my cues have been around a long time. i have many happy customers, some lucky enough to know me from the early days who've seen me making cues.

i have no intention of justifying myself at this stage of my career, simply to win over doubters.

my job is to deliver a quality product, and always has been.

however, to make it crystal clear to anyone remotely interested in my business, if i decide in the future to outsource all my work, which incidentally i have every intention of doing cos i'm tired and fed up with making cues, then the cues will still remain 'mike wooldridge cues' cos that's MY brand, and MY business.

i've spent my life building cues and now i have a world recognised brand. if i personally never touch another cue, i will still produce 'mike wooldridge cues' and maintain the brand i worked so hard to create.

one thing you can bet on, i won't ever sell sh*t cues regardless of whether i touch them or not.

if thats not possible i won't do it. simple as that.

but that's the future. i still have a few cues left in me at the moment...

By the way Paul Roberts, Dave Coutts, Robin Cook, Kevin Muncaster, Dave Brown and I would assume Trevor White as well, are all equally happy to show you their workshop and to discuss your requirements, I have not personally met Trevor but I have two of his cues and I am sure if alterations were required he would happily meet with me in his factory to discuss them
                                as i said above, that's your choice. and anyone else's choice who feels the same.

i don't mind and i won't lose sleep. you know the old saying:

"you can't please all the people all the time...."

both cues from Trevor are as good as you can make a cue, and that is about as much praise as you can give anyone
                                well he's a good bloke and knows his stuff.
                                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Working...
                                X