Giving my cue a nice trim :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving my cue a nice trim :)

Went to John Parris today to get my cue shortened.
    Its going from a 56" to a 53".
    At 53" the tip comes just below my shoulder, which I feel is the right cue length (for anyone).

Really experimenting now (don't worry not an expensive cue, its my Craftsmans Viktor cue), as I really do believe the right length cue will really help with potting consistency.

My belief now is never think you're not worthy of a custom cue until you become good.
    I think the most important thing is if you start with the right cue (a custom one) you will become good alot quicker, rather than when using a standard cue.
    And thats why most club players never really improve, and then start thinking they aint worthy of a expensive custom cue, and travel that long miserable journey trying to become good, when really thats where they should start.

Reason: most places I've played snooker at, the players are more or less my height 5'7" ish. And most play with so called standard size length cues 57-58".
    What alot of people don't realise is that (by the books) 57-58" cues are catered for so called standard height players 5'11-6'2 and a bit. The cue tip will reach about shoulder or mostly under for those height players

If someone of my height was to hold a standard length cue at the butt which most do, the bridge hand will be to straight if they were to leave a 7-9" gap from hand to cue ball, which effectively will make them place there cueing hand behind their hipps, which is to far back for the pendulam cue action, causing an effect of over stretching for every shot.
    But if they were to have the correct compact stance with bent arm, and proper pendulam cue action (elbow bent at 90 degree and hand before hipp) they would have to stand to far back from the table and there would be to much cue from bridge finger to cue ball.
    Which they will then have to aim to far back from and not see the true line of shot.
    And also make a habit of pulling to far back just to make the tip reach the index finger, thus when pushing through to strike the cue ball will throw the cue and ball off course. This will also cause them to snatch their cue and never really follow through properly, i.e hand hitting the chest.

The argument: "you can always hold further up the butt (like almost half way)"
    Truth is alot of people are not comfortable with this, some try like myself (and I do pot alot better doing this) but in time instinct naturaly grabs the end of the butt again, because if you hold it that far up it becomes thinner and alot of people I know don't like thin butts which will cause them to grab the end again.
    Plus when they watch the pros on tv thats where they mostly hold their cues.
    And finally if you grab it anywhere apart from the end of the butt you can miss calculate and grab it to far up or to far down, a cm or an each either way can make alot of difference hence inconsistecy when holding it short.
    I beleive getting this right is even more important than getting the tip and weight right. Most should be ok with a 9-10mm tip not much variation needed there.

This is my own theory for correct cue length.
    Give your own input, I would love to see what you guys and girls think.
    Or do think I'm just nuts

Well my cue should be ready next week,
    I will keep you all informed of my performance when I get it back, and to see if my theory is correct.
    Can't wait!!!!
    Heres to improving!!!!! <-------I hope:snooker:

If it is correct wanna hear more theorys from me, its out of this world

Also, who else thinks Neil Robertson looks like prince Harry or is it just me

very intelligent thinking there my friend. 'standard' sizes are not necessarily 'right' sizes...
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
      very intelligent thinking there my friend. 'standard' sizes are not necessarily 'right' sizes...
      Thanks Mike, was trying to think logical, I should be a coach

I was a fitness consultant/intsructor before if that counts

Comment

53in is too short for any player unless some one is short like Graeme Dott.
        My deep screw shot
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
          53in is too short for any player unless some one is short like Graeme Dott.
          Thats wrong im afraid.

I have a friend who is 6ft 2 and plays with a 55 inch cue and he makes regular 100 breaks, he has tried cues at 57 & 58 inch but just cant get comfortable.

The bottom line is no cue is to oshort or too long if it suits the individual.
          Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

I used to play with a short cue and it was fine. I had to use the extensions a lot but other than that it was really fine. Just a matter of what you like.
            One thing I found was my range of shot seemed to suffer a biut because of my limited draw back--when I tried to put lots of power in the shot, and I had to stretch a bit, it was tricky.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

53 is pretty short - biggest problem is if you don't get on with it it will be hard to sell!
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Burwat Champ View Post
                Thats wrong im afraid.

I have a friend who is 6ft 2 and plays with a 55 inch cue and he makes regular 100 breaks, he has tried cues at 57 & 58 inch but just cant get comfortable.

The bottom line is no cue is to oshort or too long if it suits the individual.
                ^^^^^^^Couldn't agree more.

Hello guys.

53" is short sunny3909, but remember I did mention I'm only 5'7" (not as tall as so called standard height).
                The tip of the cue comes just below my shoulder at that length, not even my armpits compared to how some pros have their cue lengthened.

I can see where you're coming from poolqjunkie, and just out of curiosity how tall are you?
                I know its meant to be harder to get power out of short cues, but only if you're to tall and your arms to long for it (then again the pros never really seem to have these problems (Mark Williams) can't think of anyone else who has a shorter cue for their height.

Thats why if a new comer wants to get good I would certainly tell them to get a custom cue before anything. Just ask for some advice from clued up folks.

I'm not worried about re-selling ADR147 because its just my £55 Craftsman cue, nice enough to play with and cheap enough to experiment with.

In a matter of fact I got 1 more spare cue I'm going to get chopped down to 54" for more testing. I'm doing this now so when I do finaly get a Trevor White, and a Mike Wooldridge it will be perfect for me.

Lengths tried and eliminated (didn't get on with): 58,57,56"
                Lengths left to test 53,54,55" to see how I get on with.

Like I say once I have them shortened and start using them I'll let you guys know how I get on, and will make a recording of my playing with them.

This will be fun
                Last edited by nam1977; 15 January 2009, 11:28 AM. Reason: added symbols

Comment

Why bother?
                  Play with a 57" for a few months and get used to it chop it down to 52" or whatever and your merely going backwards having to get used to it over again.

A cues length is irrelevent really it's what you get used to playing with that counts. I've seen a guy who plays pool with a 44" cue, unsteamed pearwood with a machine spliced ebony butt thats falling apart, worth all of £2 if that, yet it dont stop him from winning £10,000 money matches.

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy Ards View Post
                    Why bother?
                    Play with a 57" for a few months and get used to it chop it down to 52" or whatever and your merely going backwards having to get used to it over again.

A cues length is irrelevent really it's what you get used to playing with that counts. I've seen a guy who plays pool with a 44" cue, unsteamed pearwood with a machine spliced ebony butt thats falling apart, worth all of £2 if that, yet it dont stop him from winning £10,000 money matches.
                    I think this is partly true what your used to is often best but I think it's better to get used to the right cue for you.

I played with a 19oz cue for ages I borrowed and tried out loads of cues when I wasn't happy and ended up going for a 16 3/4oz cue and I'm so much happier with that.
                    It's all an individual thing!

I've got an old Joe Davis book that says pro prefer shorter cues and I think he says 56".
                    5' 7" isn't that short though 53" sounds a bit drastic.

Comment

You both have a point, but my 1st post explains why I want a shorter cue. Wanna see if I will get more consistencey.

And like I say if I hold it further up the butt, bout half way it gets to thin the grip, and that plays on my mind, and my grip don't feel right. And I don't feel confortable holding it like that. So my grip ends up back at the end of the butt and I stand further back than should.

But we'll have to wait and see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqCoooRCig

This is me practicing with my 56" cue Which I feel is still to long.
                      Want more consistency.

Oh and I've been playing for years, thats why I know I can't ever get confortable with a 57-58" cue, just never thought I was good enough to make it worth my while to get a custom cue, how wrong was I!

I believe the right cue length can help you more automaticaly get the right stance and cue action because once you found the right spec you won't have to keep adjusting.
                      Its all trial and error, and I've found my error.

Did Joe mention how tall the players were who prefered shorter cues?

A 53" cue to a 5'7 player is equivalent to a 57" cue to a 6'2" player. Both players cue tip will end at the same part of their body.
                      Its not about the length of cue but the right length to hieght ratio.
                      And confortability <--- is that a real word??

It must be where players go wrong thats why most club players never improve. I see that with my own eyes by going to the same club for years and years, and seeing the same people play.

And is it only me or does Mark Selby look really shakey when taking a shot, almost like he's vibrating as he pulls back and shoots?

Comment

Guy in our team is 6ft and plays with a old maple billiard cue that is 52" long. Looks really out of place but he is hell of a player so i wont complain aslong as he gets the points :snooker:
                        sigpic <---New Website
                        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

the 52" totxtc mentions and the 44" user i mentioned are both pool players though. If either were to use them on the snooker table they'd soon want some extra length.

I've always played with cues 57"->58" yet on the odd ocassion where i've picked up a shorter house cue and played pool I've been fine after 5 mins sometimes not even noticing it was shorter but when i do the same at snooker i soon know about it.

Having tried all sizes and given each a fair time for you to get used to each you may well end up as uncertain as ever but even if by then your convinced xx" is right you could find if you repeated the expeiment 6 months later zz" is best.
                          You'll then be in a class of your own, not dissimlar to the cueahilic's only you'll be a lengthaholic.

Comment

lol only till i find the right one!

thats why i'm experimenting with my old cues.

only time will tell

Comment

Who's the 10k pool player billy?

(pics still to follow btw, just waiting for the mrs to sort her camera out)
                              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X