Will we ever see acrylic butts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we ever see acrylic butts?

I've not worked with acrylic but I gather the difference between it and any hardwood from a crafting stance is negligable. Price wise it too seems to be comparable if not cheaper, and on the looks side it can be quite stunning. So why do we not see it used for cue butts?

Okay maybe there's some out there already, the "ebynox" butt in one of the Peradon cues is I imagine acrylic and some of those crappy Rileys have a top splice that could be too, but when you consider there is no advantage in having a butt made from wood or even spliced to a shaft why do we not see more? Is it because we the buyers are as stuck in the mud traditionalists or do we simply have no imagination?

Hi Billy,
    i cannot imagine that an acrylic butt will feel good. I think it will be too sticky.

When i have to use a laquered cue my hand starts to sweat after a while which does not happen with a plain oiled cue.
    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

When you play with an oiled cue the oil has penetreted the wood so what you feel is the finely sanded wood. Acrylic likewise can be finely sanded, needs no oiling and i think feels the same as long as it's got no other coating such as lacquer.

Decent quality pens made of acrylic are usually not lacqured, theres no need as they'll not warp and polish up nicely without any help. Wooden pens however are usually coated as they wont polish so easily. Neither ever feel sticky to me but perhaps i'm just cool my hands never sweat.

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
        Hi Billy,
        i cannot imagine that an acrylic butt will feel good. I think it will be too sticky.

When i have to use a laquered cue my hand starts to sweat after a while which does not happen with a plain oiled cue.
        My feeling exactly!

Comment

you both seem to be missing the point. Acrylic does not meam lacqued acrylic.

Comment

Ok, acrylic can be finished nice. OK, good pens are made of acrylic.

But is there a soul in a Montblanc Masterpiece? Yes, when it is old. Not when it is new.

I like it to have a unique cue made from a natural material and you will not find the same again.
            Acrylic butt gives me the feeling of mass production, even when used for making a handmade cue.
            I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

i remember saying the same thing about silicone tits
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post

i remember saying the same thing about silicone tits
                So is that basicaly a yes Mike...

Comment

Working...