Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some cue makers charge extra for specific sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some cue makers charge extra for specific sizes?

Just reading through a few of the topics and I've noticed that certain cue makers charge extra to have a cue made to a certain size. I really don't know how firstly they can justify this, unless they don't actually make the cue themselves of course, surely making a cue to any size shouldn't really cost any more or less to produce so why do it?

Sorry if I'm missing something completely obvious but as cues are a personal thing, all players will have different requirements for example, are these cue makers just fleecing customers as they know that there isn't a standard size that suits all?

Its just greed mate!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      Just reading through a few of the topics and I've noticed that certain cue makers charge extra to have a cue made to a certain size. I really don't know how firstly they can justify this, unless they don't actually make the cue themselves of course, surely making a cue to any size shouldn't really cost any more or less to produce so why do it?

Sorry if I'm missing something completely obvious but as cues are a personal thing, all players will have different requirements for example, are these cue makers just fleecing customers as they know that there isn't a standard size that suits all?
      Some makers make a standard range of cues at a standard size, therefore they don't have to change settings on machines and can whizz off a lot of cues in a little time. If you want a cue from their standard range which is, say, 58" long, 10mm tip, 30mm butt and 18oz weight then they have to alter the cue to suit you then why shouldn't they be paid for their time?

Some other makers have no standard range and every cue is made to measure, so the price is for a cue, whatever your specs.

There are advantages to buying off the shelf cues if the specs suit you; you can go and see the cues and perhaps try them out.

In a way, it's like buying clothes: you can go to a shop and try on clothes, if you find something that suits you then buy it; if you find something that is nearly right then buy it and get it altered (at a cost); you can go to a tailor's and get something made to measure for you so's you have the perfect fit!

It all depends on what you want and your budget!
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Unlike clothes though because we all come in different shapes and sizes, you will always see a range of different sizes with clothes. With cues surely its a case of making up a set of cues in various sizes to suit people instead of one set of dimensions and sticking to it. You are not giving your customers much option if all your cues are a certain size are you, therefore why make up so many if you are going to alter them and charge them for no real reason other than you're not giving them an option? Makes little sense to me, you are better off making to order really, apart from JP, Peradon etc I don't think any other cue maker produces cues in the volume they do so for me its a bit of a con.

Trevor, Craftsman, Mastercraft and a few others all make cues to the size you require without charging extra and I'm sure they don't make any less than certain others who I shall refrain from mentioning so as to not get into an argument with anyone specific.

Comment

I think it makes more financial sense for the maker than anything else!! However, traditionally, cues have always been 58" or 57" off the shelf and anything else was very unusual, why, I don't know but I suspect it's to do with the lengths of timber you can buy in timber merchants ie. 60" long. There's less wastage involved if you take them down to 58"! Also, if a cue is too long then you can always shorten your grip.

Seems to me that the real variety has always been cosmetic, with splicing and veneers and not the sizes of cues but I agree that it's not always the best way for the customer; hopefully more cuemakers will realise this and offer the same sort of service as Mastercraft who make all adjustments free of charge but I doubt as it can be very lucrative changing cues to suit individual clients' requirements.
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

A cue is not made from a piece of timber to the final cue after a customer places the order. (At least not usually). A lot of the parts such as the shaft would have been cu/planed/turned to certain length/size before hand. Most cue maker offers a certain taper, with a certain tip size and balance point and so forth as their standard sizes. So, their parts may have already been pre made to such spec to save time and to increase efficency.
            When an order is received, these parts will be sorted through to find the combo with the desired balanced point, feel...etc and the final cue is then built.
            In theory, if a cue is made from scratch, which means everything will be ordered as total raw material after the order is placed, then I guess there is no need to charge a price for say a 56" shaft or a longer butt end and such. But if every cue is made that way, I dont know if the cue maker can really make cue making a business. If the cues take too long to be completed, the customers will not like it; if it is rushed, there might be problems which is a bad for both parties.
            Shaft wood takes time and cue makers need to prepare them in stages. Most of the wood will be assumed to be made into a standard range such as 57" to 59" and so on. So, the preparation will be done to suit this need. A tip is usually within 9 to 11mm for a cue, so preparation on the shaft will be geared toward this objective.
            Butt wood is usually ebony, and for 3/4 cue usually the butt end will fall within a certain range may be 14 to 18" or so, so the ebony will likely been cut within a certain range even before anyone has placed an order, or they were even ordered in that range.
            If no existing parts are avalaible when an order is placed, more time is needed to prepare them.
            Also, things are cheaper when ordered in baulk, and more expensive if a special order needs to be ordered seperately.
            Let's not forget that machines are usually set in a certain way to allow for cues within a certain range to be built more efficently.
            So, for a certain order that needs special attention, more time and may be money is needed and therefore it is not uncommon to charge extra to compensate for such extra time and money.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
            X