Chalk marks underneath ferrule.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chalk marks underneath ferrule.

I don't know about you guys but it's a pet hate of mine to allow an accumulation of chalk stains on the wood just underneath the ferrule. It drives me insane and really spoils the look of a good cue.

My question is - how do you guys prevent this from happening? Are there any methods the pro's use due to their massive playing times. Looking at some of their cues, they are perfectly clean under the ferrule and the cue may be years old.

Use a damp cloth after every session?
    Wax and Oil the cue regularly?
    Avoid touching that area when chalking up with your thumb/fingers which may have chalk dust on?
    Careful storage?

I hope some of the cue makers can chime in with any experience they may have of this.

Graham.

Originally Posted by poona View Post
    Use a damp cloth after every session?

Graham.
    They use a damp cloth even during the sessions...
    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Try to change the way you chalk your cue. In time it the chalk will dry the wood out and shrink it.
      Otherwise wipe it off regularly with a damp cloth and linseed oil every couple of months

Comment

They use a damp cloth during the sessions?

Wouldn't that make their hands a little sticky?

It's an issue that I want to address as im about to receive a new hand made cue.

Comment

The cloth is just a bit damp. Not wet.
          This small amount of water will be gone in no time from your hands.
          So do it if the other player starts his break.
          And, of course you should have at least two towels, one damp one dry to wipe the shaft dry.
          I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Nice cue on ebay - shame about the staining.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TREVOR-WHITE-1-PIECE_W0QQitemZ190282008590QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_S portingGoods_SnookerPool_RL?hash=item190282008590& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65 %3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Comment

On a cue of trevors will be so easy to remove. A little wire wool will remove that easy. Not a problem at all.
              sigpic <---New Website
              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

#0000 grade wire wool?

Would you go light and then maybe raw linseed oil to finish it after?

I've always wondered how the pro's keep their cues looking like new with all that useage and chalking.

Does wiping your cue with a damp cloth smudge the chalk into the wood and stain it or does it remove the chalk off the wood cleanly?

Comment

If the chalk stain really annonys you, you can try to use some Mr. Clean magic eraser on it, it will be restored to like brand new. Then you need to oil it.
                  Actually, if you wipe your cue down regularly, this shoudl nto really be a problem.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poona View Post
                    #0000 grade wire wool?

Would you go light and then maybe raw linseed oil to finish it after?

I've always wondered how the pro's keep their cues looking like new with all that useage and chalking.

Does wiping your cue with a damp cloth smudge the chalk into the wood and stain it or does it remove the chalk off the wood cleanly?
                    00000 wire wool, oil after. Wont damage the ferrel either. Just dont go too hard at it or you will make the wood narrower than the ferrule.
                    sigpic <---New Website
                    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a melamine compound. When it is dipped in water or alchol or some liquid, it will produce some micro little "hands" which can go deep into the pores of your wood, to remove the deep ingrained dirts. It is not the same as wire wool or sand paper, where the surface has to be sanded down before the dirts underneath it can be removed. It does not require the removal of the top layer before the dirts underneath it can be removed. Basically, no wood will be removed and the taper will nto be altered.
                      It is also very cheap. Looks like a piece of white foam, may be sold under a different brand name in the UK. It can be found among dish washing supplies.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

You can buy that stuff from JML here in UK. Never tried it on a cue though so cannot recommend or discourage you from using it. Anyone else have any advice because that sounds quite a good idea. You dont have to get it very wet and it cleans walls and desks very nicely of pencil marks and things. JML Magic Eraser
                        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Oh excellent. My friend is a rep for JML. Methinks some freebies are coming soon :P

Comment

If you do try it report back, assuming its something you don't do very often i would have thought it was better than sanding the shaft down?
                            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

After you use it, the surface will feel a bit rouge. You can then rub it with a slightly damp towel, to take about all the debris. The oil and polish as usual. I think if you are concerned about using water, you can use alcohol. Or even nail polish remover if your cue is really really dirty. I dont think it will damage/scratch the ferrule. But if you sue it on a surface with a nice lacqare, it will scratch it.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X