No announcement yet.

New Cue - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is the point i ment with the doherty stuff, didn't think of the diy approach though!! My current cue is actually a master billiards... basically they took a suprisingly decent shaft, then bolted any old rubish on the butt, which was then SHAMELESSLY painted (this is the worst paint job ive ever seen on a cue im tempted to paint over it...) but its definately made an improvement to my game over my previous cue, which was bascially a mallet... but if your happy with your current cue i would say go for the diy approach then save up for something better in the future.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

on that budget definately go for a good quality second hand cue - o'min mastercue craftsman mastercraft can all be found at that sort of money if you wait and keep your eyes open.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy Ards View Post
        The Legend fits your budget but it's machine spliced, not very popular at all nowadays as most prefer the hand spliced look. They are out of stock probably because demand for a machine spliced is virtually nil.
        The Legend is hand-spliced...it's Craftsman's cheapest hand-spliced cue...and at 110 doesn't fit his budget. It's the Victor which is machine-spliced and out of stock, so presumably what you meant.

Comment

thanks very much for the advice everybody.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions, which is sort of what i was expecting, although i must admit i thought ÂŁ75 would get me a bit more for my money than a lot of people appear to be suggesting.

I'm going to practice tonight, so i might have a word with a few of the lads in my club. Their cues are certainly better than mine, but as we're all poor students I don't think they will have paid over the top for them.

Comment

You might try Dave Coutts, in Lincoln, he's got cues for all budgets, including some cues he gets in part exchange etc, some of which are very good old cues; he also hand picks the Cue Craft, Craftsman etc cues he stocks so they are all the best you can get. He also stocks O'Min machine-spliced cues which should be in your budget. You'll find his number on his web site, Coutts Cues, he has a land line and a mobile no. on the front page so you should be able to get hold of him fairly easily. He's a good guy and he'll steer you right.
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

There seems to be a Craftsman machine spliced cue with case on ebay...current bid 6.50....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Snooker-Cue-with-Hard-Case_W0QQitemZ150322252936QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sp ortingGoods_SnookerPool_RL?hash=item150322252936&_ trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65% 3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

could be worth a try if it really is a Craftsman (hard to see for sure in pic).

Comment

what's the verdict on Peradons ranging from about ÂŁ50-ÂŁ80?
                Worth the money, or could i do much better?

Comment

What I understand from reading here is that the general opinion is that Peradon are more variable in quality than say Craftsman. They also usually come varnished, but they can make you a waxed/oiled one if you order it....don't know if that applies in this price range though. I am sure someone with more knowledge here can tell you.

Comment

do all Craftsman over a certain price come oiled then?

all help much appreciated

Comment

My understanding from what I read here was that Craftsman only do oiled/waxed, they don't do varnished cues. But that's second hand info, and so it may be worth a phone call to be sure about that for their Victor cues. Certainly the Legend which I have is not varnished.

Comment

oh right, thanks for the help.

Sorry, one last question - are there any websites which sell Craftsman cues, aside from their own website (which seems to be low on stock) and ebay?

Cheers

Comment

Not that I am aware of. Give them a call or email - who knows how up to date their webpage is regarding stock.

Comment

cue on ebay that might suit you
                            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mastercue-case...1%7C240%3A1318

Comment

looks like a good choice to me, if you want something decent second hand is probably the way to go.
                              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                                looks like a good choice to me, if you want something decent second hand is probably the way to go.
                                I'll second that.
                                Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Working...
                                X