timber species used in tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timber species used in tables

hi guys, a newbie here but i've been buying the odd table leg and side for use in wood work for many a year.

Great to see Luca win and get a new name on the trophy. 2023 has to be one of the best years for the world championship since 2018

anyway, i digress. 4-5 years ago i bought 8 square legs from a Willie Holt table and wondered if anyone knew some answers to my questions.

first is does anyone know if the numbers on top are dateable or not. my legs say 408/9

also are we able to date the legs by style?
    mine look exactly like this and are solid Mahogany rather than laminated.

if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

just realised that i missed a question, did Willie Holt ever specify the exact species they used for their tables???

these 8 legs are Cuban mahogany, Swietenia mahagoni (proper high quality timber) rather than the normal Brazilian Mahogany Swietenia macrophylla.

Comment

in all the adverts I have found (from 1920s onwards) they only note "solid mahogany or oak".
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        in all the adverts I have found (from 1920s onwards) they only note "solid mahogany or oak".
        thanks for your help. hoped for something more specific but i doubt i'll get it.

does 1920 apply to the style of leg? or just the material?

pity there is unlikely to be anyone around who worked there as i almost need first hand information on the species they used rather than just a common name.

almost every other snooker table leg i've bought has been Brazilian mahogany but i'm confident that these 8 are not.

Comment

Originally Posted by se7enthhell View Post

thanks for your help. hoped for something more specific but i doubt i'll get it.

does 1920 apply to the style of leg? or just the material?

pity there is unlikely to be anyone around who worked there as i almost need first hand information on the species they used rather than just a common name.

almost every other snooker table leg i've bought has been Brazilian mahogany but i'm confident that these 8 are not.
          The leg design was from the 20s and continued for many years.
          As with most table makers, documetnation from those years is very limited.
          You never know, maybe someone may have their "price list" which have have more detail - but from other price lists/catalogues I have, species is not listed, just generic names

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

The leg design was from the 20s and continued for many years.
            As with most table makers, documetnation from those years is very limited.
            You never know, maybe someone may have their "price list" which have have more detail - but from other price lists/catalogues I have, species is not listed, just generic names
            i knew it was a long shot but at least knowing the leg design is from the 20's onward's is a help.
            any idea on those numbers atop my leg?
            this is the one i've cleaned up.

Comment

Not an expert on tables but that number is often the "serial" number for the table and often this number will be on other components of the table.
              Again, I know of no register or information as to table numbers, for Holt or any other maker.

Comment

Working...
              X