No announcement yet.

Are table frames of value without the slate? Burroughes and Watts 12ft table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are table frames of value without the slate? Burroughes and Watts 12ft table

We have a full size Burroughes and Watts table that we're hoping to sell (sadly, I should add - it was in our house when we bought it and it's been fun for a few years but realistically, not the best use of space!) but it's up some very awkward stairs and I'm struggling to see how we can get the slates down them without killing anyone. I've had one dismantle and removal company say they can't for health and safety reasons.

Anyway, I've been told the wood could be valuable to carpenters or similar but I was wondering if the frame would sell without the slates for someone looking to save the table?

Some pictures below. Any information on the table would also be greatly appreciated.

I would contact reputable billiard table fitters, who know how to move this stuff without losing any bits or any injuries

contact the following and see what they can do for you.

Geoff Large - www.gclbilliards.com

Chris Carroll - rileyaristocrat@hotmail.co.uk

let us know how you get on
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Your images do not come through as this planform does not support local files; try the following,
      we all love seeing photos of tables and cues

How to add images to your TSF posts
      You can use a free image-sharing site such as ImgBB, without registering (you can register for free), to upload your images, you may have to do the “not a robot” checks quickly. There are other image sharing sites as well.
      ImgBB.com
      Click on "Start Uploading".
      Browse to the file and select it, click Open.
      Auto delete image - leave as "Don't autodelete".
      Click "Upload".

Change "Embed Codes" to "BBCode full linked".

Hover mouse over the code in the box, a "COPY" will appear, click this.
      Go to your TSF post and paste.
      You can repeat for multiple images in a single post.

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Ah apologies, I can see the images so didn't realise they hadn't uploaded properly.

Here they are:

Thank you for the fitter suggestions.

Comment

If it got up their i'd imagine it won't be a problem for a professional to get it out again. Those sash windows can usually be tilted up and out of the way if you remove the securing timbers on the inside, so out the window might be an option if the slates aren't too big.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
            If it got up their i'd imagine it won't be a problem for a professional to get it out again. Those sash windows can usually be tilted up and out of the way if you remove the securing timbers on the inside, so out the window might be an option if the slates aren't too big.
            You'd think so! But I did speak to one person who questioned whether the table was put in before the roof was finished. I'm not certain that's true but it could be.

Annoyingly, those sash and case windows go to the back of the house and there's no way to get a cherry picker/tellyhandler into our back garden. There is another window at the side which could have been an entrance window but the slates are wider than the frame and we would need to remove the whole window frame. There has also been a garage built below that window so, again, no access for a cherry picker/telly handler.

It's a bit of a headache.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              I would contact reputable billiard table fitters, who know how to move this stuff without losing any bits or any injuries

contact the following and see what they can do for you.

Geoff Large - www.gclbilliards.com

Chris Carroll - rileyaristocrat@hotmail.co.uk

let us know how you get on
              Not many companies will go above ground floor now. I don't blame them those slates can wreck you.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Not many companies will go above ground floor now. I don't blame them those slates can wreck you.
                These slates are apparently 200kg. They're ridiculously thick.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

A decent pair of sack trucks and they should pose no real problems one at a time. If a company can deliver a washing machine upstairs they can deal with snooker table slates, there are ways of lifting heavy weights properly.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Whereabouts are you?

Comment

Originally Posted by trying View Post
                      Whereabouts are you?
                      I'm in Glasgow

Comment

I moved the slates for my table in China with a couple of labourers. That was upstairs, then down again when I moved, up 2 flights of stairs at the second place. It was hard work, damned hard work, but nothing complicated. Quite the reverse. When I put the table in in the snooker room in Bulgaria I moved the slates on my own but that was on the flat. I don't remember how I did that- I have memory lapses these days- but I moved the whole table into the snooker room on my own. I am only small but I used to be very strong.

Sack trucks are good, on a flat run a pallet truck is good. It's surprising the difference a couple of rollers-e.g. scaffolding pipe offcuts- can make. One thing that has surprised me is how much weight a supermarket type "dollie" can take. Those are the square brown things on which trays of baked goods are stacked. Before anyone starts yes, I know snooker table slates are heavier than vanilla slices. Those dollies are far stronger than you would believe and you would get 2 under a slate.

BTW the entire table weighs around a ton. The frame is heavy too so I think 200 kg is probably slightly more than they actually weigh, but around the correct amount.

Hey guys, how's that for a long and rational post from me?
                        王可

Comment

Not having a go at anyone who's moved tables and slates as we moved our slates on pretty much what Philip said a plastic dolly but it was ground floor.
                          It's all well and good us taking the risk but if its your living i wouldnt be risking my back, which means no job if that's fecked, to move a table up and down stairs.
                          I know four table fitting firms and not one of them do anything but ground floor .
                          I don't know what you would do if you crack a slate, is it a whole new set? As they are all floated as a set. Slates are big lumps but they are quite brittle. I would make sure who ever does it for you is insured.
                          I don't want to say it's impossible as my old club is upstairs and that had 15 tables and it was just the local lads that got them up there. Paul Rinaldis club is also upstairs and they are quite narrow so it obviously can be done I just don't know a fitting company that does it.
                          Last edited by itsnoteasy; 26 July 2024, 12:41 PM.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

It's not just the upstairs aspect it's finding someone that actually wants a full-size and more importantly has the space for one to use it properly. I certainly couldn't fit one in my 3 bed end of terrace house without completely getting rid of the garden. We must get offered 8-10 full-size every week and we can't take them all.

I've been part of a crew that got a table down some stairs from a school that were wanting their full-size taken out. 30 steps I think they were, tight turn at the top, no resting in the middle and there were 4 of us. Needless to say I haven't volunteered to help again!

Comment

Working...
                            X