No announcement yet.

Care of the Snooker Table!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies guys, i appreciate it all!

I still havnt got the confidence to get an iron out and put it on the table.
    I know i have an iron at home in which i must put water in and sometimies press the steam buttom when ironing cloths, do you guys think i should do the same or just iron the table down with the iron on without the steam and water.

I really do have to man up and do this if i fail i gotta put our another 900 to recloth LOL.

Thanks guys
    Regards, Thien.

Comment

I think you need a special iron mate - your not doing your shirts !

Comment

You can use an ordinary iron but the problem is they can be too hot. No you don't need to use steam! Keep your cloth as dry as possible.

This is one of the problems with having so few women snooker players. Nobody to do the ironing!
        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by thienyo12 View Post

I know i have an iron at home in which i must put water in and sometimies press the steam buttom when ironing cloths, do you guys think i should do the same or just iron the table down with the iron on without the steam and water.

I really do have to man up and do this if i fail i gotta put our another 900 to recloth LOL.

Thanks guys
          Regards, Thien.
          You must have a proper billiard table iron not just any iron ok?

Comment

Wasn't that a song:
            "Any old iron, any old iron,
            Any any any old iron?
            You'd look sweet, talk about a treat.... etc.
            王可

Comment

Technically I cannot see why any iron cannot be used but make sure there is not a drop of water in it and certainly never push the steam button. My dad's uncle had an iron that you had to put on the fire to heat up and he still could do an awesome job with it. Just make sure that you end each sweep with a turn of the iron so that it finishes straight and do not keep it on the cloth at the end or you will burn the cloth.

Comment

If you are using any iron other than those specially for snooker table make sure you keep an eye on the temperature and don't need to put any water on it. If would be advisible to have a special iron if you really not sure. Spent bit more on iron rather than chaging the cloth few times

Comment

maybe trade in your iron for a snooker iron. I don't know how good it would be on shirts or trousers but it works well on pure wool in green!

Comment

Originally Posted by mick.hinde View Post
                    maybe trade in your iron for a snooker iron. I don't know how good it would be on shirts or trousers but it works well on pure wool in green!
                    Yeah , you look good in that Green Wool suit Trigger.....eh ...i mean Mick.

Good luck in your match tonight . Who are you playing ?
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

molesey, cheers mate.

Comment

Originally Posted by thienyo12 View Post

Thanks guys
                        Regards, Thien.
                        Dont, Dont, Dont use a steam iron!!! You can use any dry iron, if a Dowsings one is too much for you. Steam will get into the fibres of the cloth and does not do the cloth any good!!!!

I Agree with most of the points already said. However, the one that everybody has missed is that there's a trade-off between ironing and not ironing the cloth... That being the life-span of the cloth. If you do Iron regularly, the cloth will wear faster. Conversely, if you just brush or brush/nap* the table, the cloth will last longer before you need to replace it. But from the description you give "thick Strachan cloth" it would seem reasonable to iron the cloth maybe once every 2 weeks.

The blockers that Terry mentioned are called *Nappers - I have 3 of these in stock from Cue Craft if anyone wants one. They should be around £15 - £20 (more from Peradons!) now I think, but as a special offer for TSF members I'll do them at £10 plus the postage. Also I'd recommend Cloth cleaner. This is used after the initial brushing that gets rid of the dust etc. Then spray this on in areas, brush with the nap (will remove fingermarks) then iron afterwards.
                        Cloth Cleaner will be £3.50 per tin if anyone wants some. PM me or eemail me at cueist@genie.co.uk Dave, Snookerpoolman

Comment

Before purchasing an iron made specifically for snooker cloth, I used an ordinary iron. When using it, I made sure to set the temperature to the wool setting. The only draw back using an ordinary iron, is the lack of weight. It gets hard trying to apply pressure, when ironing up the center of the table. I am curious, what temperature setting should be used on a real snooker iron?

Mike

Comment

Where I used to play, they used the old snooker table irons and heated them on a gas ring .... the good old days .. lol, then let them get down to a decent temperature for doing the tables.
                            :snooker:

Comment

brush and iron your table every time u decide to play if that is every day or when ever you go in to play . but remember when ironing your table dont let the iron rub against the cusion as the heat will damage the cusion rubber keep the iron a little bit away from the cusion as you iron.

Comment

I finally made my table blocker. My previous one got stolen! I got about a yard of what I thought was bannister rail. I was told it is actually balustrade. It is the hand rail you see- well franly used as bannisters! It has a rounded top, then a waisted centre line and a base about 3" wide. The whole thing fits in the hand perfectly. I could have used a 4 x 2 but this is just pleasanter to use being the perfect shape. Some evostick and a bit of old cloth and I was in business! Having got a yard of the wood for RMB10 (i.e. a quid) I cut it into 3 so am planning on making another couple whilst the fit is upon me.

It makes the table look better. It should play better as well although at my standard of play this is scarcely a consideration!
                                王可

Comment

Working...
                                X