2 inch Welsh slates or 1/34 inch Italian slates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 inch Welsh slates or 1/34 inch Italian slates

A question for Geoff Large. In you expert opinion which would make a better table? A modern RILEY ARISTOCRAT frame with 2 inch Welsh slates and 5 bolt steel block cushions with modern cushion friezes. new rubbers etc. Or the same frame with 1.75 inch Italian slates. My friend in Aberdeen has been offered a table with the 2 inch slates and he`s worried which would be the better way to go?

I always say the best quality would be the welsh slate although irish slate is of same standard as Gerard has pointed out to me , lol .
    A Riley Aristocrat would have had Italian slate on it with 6 bolt holes in every cushion , welsh slate would have had 5 bolts in each side cushion and 6 in each end.
    At the end of the day youre freind will be buying a Hybrid table , parts from one added to another and would lose all real identity . hence we call them hybrids .
    but if the end result of mix matching parts is a good table then go for it .
    Just make sure the slates are true .
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

I think the thicker the better as long as they are in good condition. Mine is 2" and it is so quiet in running.In a quiet room it is silent.I could hear the ball running on my old table.
      Roy Bacon

Comment

Originally Posted by roykay View Post
        I think the thicker the better as long as they are in good condition. Mine is 2" and it is so quiet in running.In a quiet room it is silent.I could hear the ball running on my old table.
        Roy Bacon
        Very true of a thin slated table , the underframe acts like an amplifier , much the same as a ball rolling on an upturned tea chest .
        the under frame cavity is the box , also if on a wooden floor the ball noise can travel through the legs and onto the floor boards , then the cavity below the floor boards amplifies the sound .
        The thicker the slate the less noise is passed through it .
        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Apparently the slates came off a Burroughes and Watt table as did the steel block cushions. This table was never moved since being purchased new in 1955. The guy bought RILEY cushions friezes to match the steels. I have seen the table and played on it and its a cracking table.

Comment

Working...
          X