First post - Table Size Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post - Table Size Advice

I will shortly be buying my first snooker/pool table. Have done some research already on table size advice but I'd like to hear some real info besides the official word.

The table would be used mainly for snooker, though might have a game of 8-ball with friends occasionally (also depending what table I get).

I would love to get a full-size snooker table but it's just not possible in my space. My critical room dimension is width (length is 10 metres+). My room has a normal with of 3.7m (12.1 feet), but the space has a 2.5m bay window that adds 60 cm room width at the maximum, for a total of 4.3m (14.1 feet). So I would basically have about 2/3 of the table length (presumably the black end) at 13-14 feet, and 1/3 of the table at 12 feet width.

Taking the standard fitting instructions and adding 5 feet on all sides of the table points me toward a 9-foot table fitting not perfectly, but pretty well.

I guess my main question is, is a 9-foot table worthwhile for snooker? I have never played on a smaller table. Am I just going to be dissatisfied from the outset? Recognising that a 12-foot table is out of the question, would I be better off with a 10-foot for the additional playing surface or a 9-foot with less hampered cueing?

Any pointers, both as to the specific question above and as to table recommendations, would be much appreciated.

I got myself a 10'. I am very happy with it although I wish I had gone that extra and got a full size table- I actually do have space for one. I don't really know why I didn't!

If you have your own table- even if it is "only" a 9' you can practice so much more that your game is sure to improve. Just try to get down to the club whenever possible so you don't forget what a full size table is like.

Remember a 9' is only about 56% of the area of a full size.
    王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
      I got myself a 10'. I am very happy with it although I wish I had gone that extra and got a full size table- I actually do have space for one. I don't really know why I didn't!

If you have your own table- even if it is "only" a 9' you can practice so much more that your game is sure to improve. Just try to get down to the club whenever possible so you don't forget what a full size table is like.

Remember a 9' is only about 56% of the area of a full size.
      A 9ft is 3/4 sized of a full size table so 75% of area Phil .
      some people advertise 7 and 8 ft tables as 3/4 sized but they are not .
      a full size table is 12 foot long ,3/4 or 75% of that lenth is 9ft , same with the width a full size is 6 foot approx , a 9ft is 4ft 6 inch or 75% of that width .

Geoff
      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Yes, Geoff I was aware of that but as far as area goes it is 3/4 the length and 3/4 the width so it is 9/16 of the area i.e. 56%. Or a "half" size table at 6 x 3 is 1/4 of the area of a table 6 x 12.

Maybe I should get out more.
        王可

Comment

9ft snooker table

Philip is correct, a full size (12 x 6) is 72 SQ feet whilst a 3/4 table (9 x 4.5) table is 40.5 SQ feet. This is 56% the area of a full size table and not 75% as Geoff stated. I assume the 3/4 reference applies to the length in relation to a full size table. Hence a six foot table is called half size even though its only 25% the area of a full size.

Comment

Thanks all. I get the arithmetic now. :-)

But whether it's 56% or 75%, is a 9-foot table really still enjoyable for snooker? Do you have to play with 10 reds on a 9-foot? Does a 10-foot make a big difference vs a 9-foot table?

How bad is it, practically, to have say 4'6" around the table rather than 5 feet?

Cheers.

Comment

If you only have 4ft 6 around the table you will occasionally find that it is too tight to play some shots as you cue butt will strike the wall. For example if the cue ball was on the edge of the midle pocket and you are playing the blue off its spot into the opposite centre pocket or if the white is tight on the cushion and your playing straight accross the table. A shorter cue can be kept handy in case you have these type of shots. If the ball is off the cushion and you are playing up or down the table at an angle, as is usually the case, the lack of 6 inches won`t be a great problem. Have you considered a 10ft table?

Comment

Maryfield, 9 foot vs 10 foot table is precisely my question.

Am I better off with the 9-foot fitting comfortably, or the 10-foot which it seems would be a bit snug on the sides? At the moment, based on reading here and elsewhere I am leaning toward the 9-foot, probably resigning myself to playing 10 red snooker but it seems to me it should still work if I get a quality table.

Unless people who have experienced it say that snooker on a 9-foot table isn't worth playing.

Comment

The difference between a 9ft and 10ft table is only 6 inches. That is 3 inches less on each side of the table. The 10ft table you can use 15 reds whereas the 9ft uses only 10 reds. The better game is 15 reds but a 10 red game is also enjoyable. I know where you can get both size of table at reasonable prices.

Comment

To put the cat in further among the pigeons, there is no such thing as a half size, three quarter size, or any other size ... The only recognised size is a full size 12ft x 6ft.
                    Measure your room and take away 5ft all round, what you are left with is the area where the table will stand, and it is from that you will find your correct size of table.
                    Half size, two thirds, and three quarter sizes are just vague measurements. Any established Billiards firm do not recognise these.
                    When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

So you don`t sell these?

Comment

Is it not the case that the slates one can buy are 6ft x 3ft. 7ft x3.5ft , 8ft x 4ft 9ft x 4.5ft, 10 x 5ft 11 x 5.5 and 12 x 6. The sectional slates for 9ft 10ft and 12ft being an extra 1.5 inches wide. Therefore if the same cushion block and rubber are used on all these sectional slate sizes, the table playing area will in fact equate to 3/4 and 2/3 of that found on a full size table and are therefore not vague at all. They are just scaled down versions.

Comment

In answer to what I believe to be the question "Am I better with a 9' table and 5' all the way round or a 10' table and just slightly cramped?" I think we can only give our own personal feelings. I would go with a 10' table and have a short cue on the rack for the rare times that it is needed. Is that an ideal solution? Frankly no it isn't but neither is a 9' table. WIth a 10' you can play 15 reds no problem and you are almost at a full size table. Against that I suppose a 9' might be marginally cheaper and you would have the necessary space but I would doubt if delivery, installation etc. would be any less for a 9' than a 10'.

So really it is your call but I know what I would do.
                          王可

Comment

Thanks Philip, that's helpful.

The cost of the table isn't really an issue; the difference between 9-foot and 10-foot would not be material for me.

In thinking about this more though, I am coming to the view that maybe the 9-foot is better. Another consideration besides having less hampered cueing is that it can still be used for 8-ball, whereas a 10-foot is really too big for that. I have friends who would rather play 8-ball for sure. I am thinking that if the compromise means I have to play 10-red snooker on the 9-foot table, I can live with that.

I need to go to a shop and see how I feel playing on both 9-foot and 10-foot, then take a final decision.

Comment

I have a 5 x 10 Brunswick Centennial and the playing surface is 56" x 112. I am playing 2 1/8" balls (American Snooker Standard?) and I find it challenging as the corner pockets are 3 1/2" and the sides are 4 "

When practicing I usually play with 10 reds as there is less "traffic".

I would like to up grade to a 12 footer but there are not a lot of these available here in the mid Atlantic US.

I think you would enjoy the 10 foot table more than 9 and using an "obstruction" cue once in a while would not deter me from choosing the 10

Comment

Working...
                              X