Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the WORLDS most EXPENSIVE BILLIARD TABLE ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the WORLDS most EXPENSIVE BILLIARD TABLE ?

I have worked on a few nice table's in my time some that cost over £30.000 , so was wondering if anyone knew of the whereabouts of the most Expensive Billiard table ever produced .
    I have apicture of one that many claim to be it , but has anyone seen one Better made ?

An orme and son made for the Manchester Queen Victoria Jubilee exhibition of 1887 , made in Black walnut .
    the cushion Freeze having quotes carved into them from tennyson scott byron and shakespeare , and over 50 wild flowers and Birds , panels carved in the framework contain links to many commonwealth countries which made up the victorian empire . Kings queens noblemen and women are carved into each leg . the legs having more carving in one upper band and below into fine readed legs .
    A matching cuboard that contains the Life Pool scoreboard and cue racks etc is also with the table , some of the carvings on the cuboard front are scenes from Victoria and Albert beside wndser Castle and also scenes from Caenarvon nd Holyrood royal residence's , strange that no depiction of Osbourne house carved in there ?

Any way it's advertised for sale at Harrods for £1.000.000 , yes 1 million .
    do not know if it has been sold or not

Last edited by Geoff Large; 8 December 2010, 09:19 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

A million? It must be a steel blocker.....

Comment

WOW Geoff - That really is what you call Ornate! Years ago at Royal Mail offices in Swindon there was a full sized table with beautiful in-laid woods and marquetary all round the cushions and legs. It really was a site to behold. The table apparently belonged to the Sports Club (who were in the process of being un-ceremoniously kicked off-site by RM to make way for more office space I was told) and was reputedly won by a staff-member (possibly a very talented snooker playing postie) in a competition. The table had been valued at £18,000 and the sports club were looking for 10k for it at the time. This was around 1988 or 89. I wish I could see this table again - it was tremendous. Does this tale ring any bells with any other TSF members I wonder???

Also, Roger Lee had a splendid all marble table at the Heritage Room one time at The Crucible a few years ago - cant remember the value, but apparently it was already sold and just on loan for the duration of that years WC.
      Last edited by snookerpoolman; 8 December 2010, 12:58 AM.

Comment

And dare I say- I don't like it. Like a lot of Victoriana it is far too overdone for my austere tastes. But boy do I wish I could afford it!
        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
          A million? It must be a steel blocker.....
          No it is an Orme not a Burroughs and watts , only B&W had steels when this was built and they would have been prototype in 1887 . the nearest thing to steels by another manufacturer was Thurstons Adamant cushion which was a piece of heavy slate inside the woodwork of the cushion .

Note , a Mr w Buttery also advertised steel block cushions in 1886 , there is an advertisement on Norman Clare's THE COLLECTION web page saying this with an illustration .
          Last edited by Geoff Large; 8 December 2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Myself I like the George Wright table the carvings look more regal and more detailed , it's got to be worth just as much as this Orme table .

Comment

If i had one million to spend i would buy a star table and a few nice cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ding Junhui View Post
                If i had one million to spend i would buy a star table and a few nice cues.
                I'd just retire

Comment

there is a 125 yr old victorian carved table at my club,i'll take some pictures over the weekend and post them
                  RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

Originally Posted by khizzy View Post
                    there is a 125 yr old victorian carved table at my club,i'll take some pictures over the weekend and post them
                    yes please do , I am interested in tables that where sent to commonwealth countries like india ,how they react to high tempretures and humidity , also how they fair to wood boring insects etc .

some old fitters say the slate framed tables where used in countries like India because of the wood boring insects , have you come across any slate frames/legs/cushion surrounds etc .

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                      yes please do , I am interested in tables that where sent to commonwealth countries like india ,how they react to high tempretures and humidity , also how they fair to wood boring insects etc .

some old fitters say the slate framed tables where used in countries like India because of the wood boring insects , have you come across any slate frames/legs/cushion surrounds etc .
                      the table reacts very well most of the year ,its just in the rainy monsoon season that we need heaters to control the humidity, it has been my practice table since my childhood until recently when i put up a table in my house.

the slate is 2 3/4" thick which is very rare nowadays.but plays well, better than most new tables.

the table has been maintained very well as it has been in one place since the time it was imported in 1885.but some cracks have developed around the brass area where the pocket is fitted on the cushion,what i found surprising is that it is a steel block cushion, perhaps it was changed from wood to steel in the 80s.and the height a fraction higher than regular tables.

an antique dealer had given the club an offer of 80 lakh rupees ( about 100000 pounds ) last year but the club decided to retain the table.

i have travelled to some of the oldest clubs throughout India for tournaments but have ever seen or heard of a slate framed table,the rarest of perhaps most expensive table that i have seen is at a club in southern India fully carved to the centimeter and depicts the whole hunting trip of the prince of wales when he visited India
                      Last edited by khizzy; 8 December 2010, 08:22 PM.
                      RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

Khizzy post a photo and let me see the cushions and pocket plate's , the slate would prob be 2.1/8th inch or 2.1/4 inch with a wood tack lining 1/2 inch to 5/8ths which the cloth tacks to , making it look and measure 2. 3/4 inch with the cloth covering everything .
                        you can feel down the slate fall to where the wood and slate finnsh and start etc .
                        I moved a burroughs and watts 2.1/4 inch today , and they are very heavy around 5cwt each .
                        if the steels are original to the table then the earliest the table could be is around 1888/1889 , these would have had top Finger plate pockets which I think you are describing when you say they are cracking , a little after this date the pocket brass cannot be seen as they used concealed brass pockets .

if all original it will be a Burroughs and watts table .

if you take a good plate off the corner pocket and middle pocket , I am sure that in india which has many Brass moulders they could replicate them . maybe renew the whole set at very low cost , and maybe offer some world wide as replacements , because they are getting harder to find in their recessed type design .
                        in fact any good solid brass reproduction hooks / pocket rails and nuts / rest heads of vintage design would sell well .

Geoff

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                          Myself I like the George Wright table the carvings look more regal and more detailed , it's got to be worth just as much as this Orme table .

Pity about it missing the cue cupboard...

Comment

The cue cuboard will be built into the wall somewhere , if you look closely to the right of the table you will see a highly carved panel with small cuboard underneath it , that will be the scoreboard the panel will rotate to reveal the Life pool scoreboard , what you are missing is the Whole Room Decor is built by the Billiard table maker George Wright not just the table , every wall panel even the Seating and fireplace and clock above will have all been made by them .
                            no hooks on table so long cue and rest will also be stored in a free standing rack .

Comment

They look lovely! Anyway ... we have a smashing full size slate bed snooker table for sale at our community centre if anyone is interested? It is in excellent condition and in occasional use, but well looked after with all accessories, score boards, covers etc. I think it was made in the 1920-30's by Burnley Billiard Works Ltd & Holt at Rosegrove in Lancs, England. Its a nice piece. Does anyone have a home for it or know what it is realistically worth? Thx.

Comment

Working...
                              X