Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the WORLDS most EXPENSIVE BILLIARD TABLE ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
    Khizzy post a photo and let me see the cushions and pocket plate's , the slate would prob be 2.1/8th inch or 2.1/4 inch with a wood tack lining 1/2 inch to 5/8ths which the cloth tacks to , making it look and measure 2. 3/4 inch with the cloth covering everything .
    you can feel down the slate fall to where the wood and slate finnsh and start etc .
    I moved a burroughs and watts 2.1/4 inch today , and they are very heavy around 5cwt each .
    if the steels are original to the table then the earliest the table could be is around 1888/1889 , these would have had top Finger plate pockets which I think you are describing when you say they are cracking , a little after this date the pocket brass cannot be seen as they used concealed brass pockets .

if all original it will be a Burroughs and watts table .

if you take a good plate off the corner pocket and middle pocket , I am sure that in india which has many Brass moulders they could replicate them . maybe renew the whole set at very low cost , and maybe offer some world wide as replacements , because they are getting harder to find in their recessed type design .
    in fact any good solid brass reproduction hooks / pocket rails and nuts / rest heads of vintage design would sell well .

Geoff
    it is exactly as you say it is, 2 1/4" thick (i thought it was 2 3/4th earlier) with the wood tack lining,and has the finger pocket plates.

im not sure about the exact date of import of the table as the club was opened in 1885 and the table was put up around that time so must be give or take 5 yrs,there have been a few changes made to the table like rest hooks have been drilled in,the pocket rails have been installed for snooker and the light shade was thrown away when the ceiling lights were put up.

the table which i have now at home has slates from an old burroughs and watts table 2 1/4" thick and it took me and 6 friends of mine from the gym 4 hrs to move them 2 floors, phew. but the frame was damaged so a new one was made for it.

did burroughs and watts emboss the year of production onto the table?

i dont know how many such tables must be lying in store rooms of old colleges and clubs in India,thinking of going on a hunt sometime soon,south india has many old clubs which no longer have the funds to run a billiards room so could be a steal if i lay my hands on one.if you ever come to India you should definitely see the prince of wales table,it'll make your trip worthwhile,it was actually gifted to him but he didn't take it back with him.
    RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
      The cue cuboard will be built into the wall somewhere , if you look closely to the right of the table you will see a highly carved panel with small cuboard underneath it , that will be the scoreboard the panel will rotate to reveal the Life pool scoreboard , what you are missing is the Whole Room Decor is built by the Billiard table maker George Wright not just the table , every wall panel even the Seating and fireplace and clock above will have all been made by them .
      no hooks on table so long cue and rest will also be stored in a free standing rack .
      Just having a laugh, a bit like turning down the Ferrari gift cause you don't like red. I like both tables very much.

Comment

That snooker room!

It is truly amazing. If I win the lottery..... twice.................
        王可

Comment

I have heard (but never seen) that the New York Athletic Club has 2 snooker tables which are ornately carved and have elephant feet for legs!

Don't know if this is true or not but it would be nice if a NYAC member could post some pics up.

I know they play or at least have played the annual ISL (International Snooker League) tournament there a few times.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

im next!!!!!

Jimmy ,sorry just putting my name down.

Comment

work of art! ( well to be fair a snooker table in general it a work of art ) i have photos of me playing on a similar table a few years ago ( didnt want to touch it let alone play a shot!)
              Il dig the photos out and post them on here. The owners are family friends and did sell it a couple of years ago so i will find out the info!

Comment

These table are so beautiful, really like to have one if I can afford it!

May I ask if these tables are up to the match play standard interms of the dimension and pocket sizes shape and so on? Or there has been no changes whatsoever during this 100+ yrs of time?

Comment

This thread reminds me of a story a friend told me a while back...

He & his missus were shopping in Harrods (as you do) when thay came across an ornate 8 x 4 Snooker Table (slate bed, beautifully turned table legs with intricate design etc).

Wondering how much it cost he picked up the adjacent price tag which read £3000.00.

Apparerently he was sorely tempted until his wife pointed out that the price tag he had looked at was for a rug the table was sitting on & that the actual price of the table as £25000 !

You gotta laugh......

Comment

Working...
                  X