Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on speeding a cloth up

Hi
    Can anyone help with some advice. We recently had the cloths changed on both tables at my club, however the comittee in their wisdom had heavy duty cloths installed so they would last longer!

End result real heavy slow table, we brush and block them twice a week and iron once a week.

I guess we could increase the ironing but was led to beleive over ironing damages the table. (could be a urban legend !)

Cheers in advance

i iron my table twice a day,saves up a lot more electricity than using the ceramic heater under the slates.
    RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

Originally Posted by khizzy View Post
      i iron my table twice a day,saves up a lot more electricity than using the ceramic heater under the slates.
      Im guessing you play alot then

Comment

Iron the life out of it!

The guy who's responsible for that at our club has been known to iron the table up to 15 times if they're playing a really good side to try and equal things up! ! ! ! !

It's worked for them too.........

Not good for the rest of us that play on the table though.
        One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Even a heavy duty cloth if stretched correctly should play ok though.....
          One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
            Even a heavy duty cloth if stretched correctly should play ok though.....
            I agree, badly stretched cloth will play slow.

Comment

Thanks for this guys, will certainly be getting the iron out!
              Cheers

Comment

just brush the cloth daily until the pile wears thinner! honestly the more you brush and iron the faster the bed will run, definitely don't leave the cloth untouched for any period of time as it will play slower that way. At least brush 5 times a week and nap it, ideally iron every other time.

Comment

Will brushing the table every day shorten the life of the cloth, i.e. eventually make it thinner or wear it away? Also, is the fabric on a napper just normal table baize or something else? I need to change mine as it seems to be having no effect.

Comment

Does anyone take the Dyson to the table to remove chalk dust? (I mean using the tools, not the beater;-)

Comment

When I was a kid I looked after my clubs tables in return for free table time and I used to brush nap and iron everyday and it done no harm to the cloths. The only thing that did though was she iron.. It had no thermostat so it never switched off and I left the iron going for about half an hour and when I put it on the match table it stuck to it and left a burn mark lol so be carefull if your using an old style iron

Comment

Originally Posted by tornado taylor View Post
                        When I was a kid I looked after my clubs tables in return for free table time and I used to brush nap and iron everyday and it done no harm to the cloths. The only thing that did though was she iron.. It had no thermostat so it never switched off and I left the iron going for about half an hour and when I put it on the match table it stuck to it and left a burn mark lol so be carefull if your using an old style iron
                        I have also done this

My advice is much the same as has been said already, brushing, ironing and blocking regularly, but unless the cloth is properly stretched it will be pretty much to no avail.

Comment

Originally Posted by limecc View Post
                          Does anyone take the Dyson to the table to remove chalk dust? (I mean using the tools, not the beater;-)

NEVER vac a table , you will pull the filler out of the slate joints under the cloth and form divots and lumps especialy a dyson which has a high sucking action .

Geoff
                          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by tornado taylor View Post
                            There are a few of these none thermostat irons around still being used and some are for sale on ebay , a simple way of safeguarding a burn would be to get some old Billiard cloth and wrap this around the brush , try the iron on this bit of scrap cloth , if it burns this DO NOT GO NEAR the table until the iron has cooled down , if no burning of the test cloth then it is safe to iron it , but keep it moveing . Do not hang about ,

and always rest the iron upwards , never face down to heat up or cool down after useing it .

Geoff
                            Last edited by Geoff Large; 25 March 2011, 10:43 PM.
                            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Limecc, NEVER use a vacuum on a table. You might suck filler out from between the slates. This then forms lumps under the cloth and you need to remove the cloth, remove the lumps, refill and replace the cloth. Brush it, block it, iron it, some folks even use a damp cloth but never, ever vacuum it.

If you look you will find a whole thread, of several pages, all about caring for a table.
                              王可

Comment

Working...
                              X