Cushion drop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushion drop...

The bottom cushion on our table has dropped/slipped away a few mil towards the left hand side pocket causing the balls to jump everytime they hit it. Just wondering what the cause of this is? The table is due to be serviced ASAP but wanted to ask those out there if this drop is due to a few years of play, fitter error or some other reason?
    One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

i would say its becuase pepole keep stittin on the cushoins and damage the treads in inside the cushion and pull it away from the bolts therefore moveing away from table

hope this helps

Comment

Originally Posted by iancafc View Post
      i would say its becuase pepole keep stittin on the cushoins and damage the treads in inside the cushion and pull it away from the bolts therefore moveing away from table

hope this helps
      Nobody ever sits on the cushions or indeed the table we have plenty of seats in our tiny club, so don't think it's that to be honest.

Comment

It could be as intimated in iancfc,s post despite your assertions. Not necessarily from the physical act of sitting on the rails but just from the act of leaning over the cushions over a long period. People just pushing down on the cushion rubber can often disturb the retaining tape and also cause the glue bond to break away from the block. It is unlikely to have caused thread damage to the cushion bolts (unless you have a particularly overweight player that is.) If your next service is a recover then this will be a simple task for a half decent fitter to sort out. If it is only a stretch service then for a bit extra you should ask him to carefully peel back the cloth on the cushion and see if he can reglue the loose section. Care is required to do this but it should be possible.

Comment

As the rubber turns into the pocket , it loses the retaining shelf ( rebate ) that the L shape rubber sirts on , the only thing keeping the rubber onto the Block is the Glue , part of the rubber in the pocket has to be slightley moved off the block to accept a tuck of cloth behind it ( unless it is a steel block which are differant from normal cushions ) have a close look where is the cloth tucked behind ?
          Some times people make a grab for the white ball as it is being pocketed off an in off shot to save time retrieving it from the Ball rail to place in the D .
          by doing this the hand is forcing the rubber off the Block , When I rerubber , I normaly insert one or two staples in the lower section of rubber in the undercutt on the pocket opening to help stop the rubber falling off the block .
          So to summerise I think it is rough use play or the glue is coming off the block and on the last recover the fitter did not reglue it and add that extra one or two staples to secure it from happening again .
          also cushion sticky tape applied onto the top of the rubber helps keep it in place .
          A simple fix on a recover to put this right .
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
            As the rubber turns into the pocket , it loses the retaining shelf ( rebate ) that the L shape rubber sirts on , the only thing keeping the rubber onto the Block is the Glue , part of the rubber in the pocket has to be slightley moved off the block to accept a tuck of cloth behind it ( unless it is a steel block which are differant from normal cushions ) have a close look where is the cloth tucked behind ?
            Some times people make a grab for the white ball as it is being pocketed off an in off shot to save time retrieving it from the Ball rail to place in the D .
            by doing this the hand is forcing the rubber off the Block , When I rerubber , I normaly insert one or two staples in the lower section of rubber in the undercutt on the pocket opening to help stop the rubber falling off the block .
            So to summerise I think it is rough use play or the glue is coming off the block and on the last recover the fitter did not reglue it and add that extra one or two staples to secure it from happening again .
            also cushion sticky tape applied onto the top of the rubber helps keep it in place .
            A simple fix on a recover to put this right .
            Hopefully it'll be you doing the recovoer of the table in the not too distant future Geoff, I've submitted the quote to those that make the choices but still feel they'll go with the other bloke to be honest, which given what you've just said about not really doing his job to the best of his ability is for me the wrong choice.

Comment

Working...
            X