Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought a few might like a gander at this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mistake

come on then dont keep us in suspence what have you seen we have missed

Comment

I just had anothe rnosey and could'nt see owt...

Anyway, can someone explain how the ..... do you use these type of scoreboards?...

Comment

The writing for the balls says ... White, Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue, Pink, and Black.....

There should be no Black on a Life Pool Board, it should have read Spot White instead of Black.
        When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

score board

theres quite a few different ones about they wernt all the same we had one in our pub till someone knocked it of wall and smashed it we ended up with just the turning scores, thats how you score cally just turn the white scoreing bars they turn up to 100 on ours we had but they are different as i said and can cost a fortune

Comment

Thanks jim..

Still don't quite get how they work tho...lol..

Comment

scoreboard

hi cally you turn both dials ile call them to 1-20 when you reach 20 you turn and it goes to 21-40 and so on up to 100 other boards have other markers for billiards and life as other post ,says some dials have 5 lots of no1-20,21-40,41-60 and so on up to 120

Comment

Thanks jim...

Do you press, what looks like buttons, next to the colours, and then turn dial (like winding it to go correct score and once you have pressed the button and wound score on, it will only go as far as the colour button pressed)?

If that makes sense...
                Last edited by cally; 10 March 2011, 04:17 PM.

Comment

scoreboard

see the 2 dials, on the end is a knob you just turn them with your hand

Comment

Thanks bud, i realised you turn the dials on end just dont get what the 'white' button looking jobbies are for next to colours...

Just me being a bit dull....

Comment

scoreboard

there pearl knobs i think cally and you slide the panal out and you reveal the coulors underneath as in life ,lose a life move panal 1 ,lose another and move again till youve lost all your lives

Comment

Ah, all becoming clear...

Thanks for taking the time to educate a fool bud...

And if you wanna post one of them cues you currently building too me when finished i'll pm you my address.....................

Comment

The buttons are normaly Ivory , when you slide the button to left or right depending which side of the score board you are , they reveal 3 lives in mother of pearl , as you lose a life you push the panel inwards to take one of the mother of pearl markers out of view .
                          there is also a moveing star that sits inside of the inner part of the board this is a buy me life , on the larger boards you can have penny slots in them , one penny is put in to start the game , thats one penny per player , to buy an extra life you put a second penny in and each player has a glass slot cover to view his stake and any extra life bought , if you used all youre three lives up , you could buy the star life for an extra penny , the glass reveal show you have bought that life and if you lose this life you cannot buy another you are out of the game .
                          at the end of the game the winner empties the penny slots which was alway lockable to stop cheating .
                          the larger board was just a bottom section added , that had the penny slots and maybe glass cabinet for ball storage and display .
                          you could also buy the double cuboard and drawer unit ( small sideboard ) that sits under the board to make it all free standing .

Look at the other thread Various antique Scoreboards to see an example of a board with the Penny slots owned by froum member 100-upper , look at the right hand lower section and yyou can see the top of the pennys showing in the glass reveals and on the second one along the second penny has been added to buy the life and is in full veiw , the bottom carved drop down door has a lock in it .

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=26661

some where like this with the penny slots each side of a ball storage area , others where penny slots in centre of board , flanked by a ball storage area each side .

here is a link to the rules of Life Pool circa 1876 ... I did just have a quick read and it apears only two are allowed to buy a star life in the game and only one if he is still in the game ?

http://www.snookergames.co.uk/hisgame4.html

Geoff
                          Last edited by Geoff Large; 11 March 2011, 10:05 PM.
                          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Geoff. I have a fine example of a Victorian scoring cabinet in light oak made to match my table by Burroughs and Watts. Your description of the game of life pool devised as additional entertainment for officers in the mess in the days of the Indian Raj, is spot on. I wonder though if you know why there is never a black ball on the board? I believe it is because you never Black balled on officer of the mess when balloting for order of play??? What do you or for that matter anyone else know of this.?

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                              Geoff. I have a fine example of a Victorian scoring cabinet in light oak made to match my table by Burroughs and Watts. Your description of the game of life pool devised as additional entertainment for officers in the mess in the days of the Indian Raj, is spot on. I wonder though if you know why there is never a black ball on the board? I believe it is because you never Black balled on officer of the mess when balloting for order of play??? What do you or for that matter anyone else know of this.?
                              I think 100-upper is the man to ask that question to , I know so much , but most is handed down from fitter to fitter . and reading old books .
                              I not sure why no black was used . but it could just be that what you say is the reason .
                              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                                I think 100-upper is the man to ask that question to , I know so much , but most is handed down from fitter to fitter . and reading old books .
                                I not sure why no black was used . but it could just be that what you say is the reason .
                                When I played Life Pool the black ball was placed on the centre spot (Blue) and when you potted your opponents ball he lost a life and he also payed you sixpence. You then automatically went on the black ball and if you potted it you got sixpence from every player in the game. Your next shot was then on the nearest ball to where the cue ball came to rest and if you potted that you went back on the Black and so on....
                                We also played it without the Black ball, and when you potted the ball you are on, you then played on the nearest ball to where the cue ball came to rest. If you then potted all the opponents balls, your ball was then placed on the black spot and the next opponent played from hand.
                                When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Working...
                                X