Refinishing Cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing Cushions

Hi all, I've decided to refurbish the cushions of the Riley Regis table I bought a while ago, as there were a few knocks and bumps on them and they need re-rubbered... so I've been out with the paint stripper to remove what appears to be a dark brown painted surface and repaired any imperfections.

Would anyone know what stain to use on the bare wood to achieve that rich dark red/brown before I start with the french polishing.

Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
    Hi all, I've decided to refurbish the cushions of the Riley Regis table I bought a while ago, as there were a few knocks and bumps on them and they need re-rubbered... so I've been out with the paint stripper to remove what appears to be a dark brown painted surface and repaired any imperfections.

Would anyone know what stain to use on the bare wood to achieve that rich dark red/brown before I start with the french polishing.
    The wood used on a riley regis is not as hard as on some other riley types , it is their entry table and therefore used a type of wood simular if not Philipino Mahogany which is very light and almost a soft wood .

French polishing is not recomended as it will mark too easy .

You will have to mix a Deep red Mahogany stain with a Dark oak stain to get anywhere near the Dark Spray finnish that the Regis originaly had .
    Something like Peruvian mahogany stain and Dark oak 50/50 mix .

Now the finnish , I recomend Polyurathane Varnish , Satin Ronseal oil based (not the water based type ) 7 coats , fine sanding between each coat , USE A FINE PURE HOG BRISTlE QUALITY BRUSH , very fine sand on the last coat then wire wool , then Bees wax top finnish .

the Varnish will stand upto Belt buckles more , but I am afraid that soft hardwood used on the Regis is just not upto withstanding dents and scratches etc .

Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff Large; 20 March 2011, 12:32 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Geoff. I wasn't wanting to go quite as dark as the original colour, so might just stick with colron dark mahogany, but got the ronseal polyurethane satin varnish so I'm half way there lol

Out of curiosity, by the type of mahogany being of the cheaper kind, would this have any effect on the bounce of the cushion.

PS hope you're enjoying France

Comment

[QUOTE=jarcher;565091]Thanks for the info Geoff. I wasn't wanting to go quite as dark as the original colour, so might just stick with colron dark mahogany, but got the ronseal polyurethane satin varnish so I'm half way there lol

Out of curiosity, by the type of mahogany being of the cheaper kind, would this have any effect on the bounce of the cushion.

PS hope you're enjoying France [/QUOTE

Yes the weight of the cushion will be a factor in bounce the heavy woods like oak and Cuban mahogany will be better for bounce , softer and lighter the wood the less bounce there is , steel blocks cushions are supposed to be the best , but a good heavy wood cushion will be as good .

Geoff
        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Working...
        X