No announcement yet.

my new table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recovered a 10ft BCE with square legs in Camden London two days ago , he did not have his worn out leathers and nets replaced though , but have a look because the cushion profile on a full size should be the same even if this one has square legs and is a 10ft

[/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

looks the same.

Comment

Originally Posted by bricktip View Post
        If you look to the left of the bolt, there is 'R&W' stamped in the wood. This is on every cushion and i'd be interested to know what this means, not that it's so important, but interesting to know anyway.
        Bricktip,

R&W stood for Rice & Wallis, a wood-working company BCE subcontracted for various componentry. You may also find a cat figure embossed on BCE legs, indicating the Black Cat Company produced them for BCE. Source: Dave Nichols, BCE-UK, 2001.

Best of luck with your table.

Austin

Comment

Thanks for that. I didn't expect to ever find out what R&W really stood for. I don't recall seeing a black cat on the legs, only the serial numbers - and i don't think any of it is visible when the table is fully assembled as it is now. I'll crawl underneath tonight with a torch and have a look

Do you know anything about dating by serial numbers on BCE tables? Austin, did you used to work for BCE?

Comment

Sorry, can't help with dating. I'm in the USA and have had an interest in snooker and snooker tables since the late 1960s. I purchased a number of BCE Westbury and Riley Aristocrats for refurbishment some years ago, and found the R&W/Black Cat info while going through my BCE correspondence from back then.

I have always found the folks at UK billiard companies very forthright and helpful about table matters and was a bit surprised none of them had addressed your question on the forum. Surely, any competent restoration firm should have this knowledge and should be checking this forum, no?

Comment

Is this forum moderated? I posted a response to bricktip's question hours ago, but it hasn't yet appeared. I'm a new member if that makes any difference.

Austin

Comment

Alas! It seems my previous response to bricktip went into the ether (along with my just-finished novel, and a letter so poignant my ex-wife would have surely come running back to me.) I suppose a repost is in order.

Brick,

I'm in the USA and happened upon some BCE Westbury and Riley Aristocrat tables for sale on eBay some years ago. Having done nothing stupid for a long time, I was due so I bought the 7 BCEs and 2 Riley sight unseen. My stupid quota was instantly filled for the next 20 years as just the two Rileys had components from 12 tables. The BCEs were even more scattered and had dry rot and rust and water damage and ... At any rate, the good folks at BCE were very helpful in explaining what I had, where it all came from, and what could be done with it besides hosting the most expensive weenie roast in history. Over the years, a skilled restorer I know in Canada put some of the tables together and found new homes for them. In going over my correspondence with BCE, I discovered the R&W and Black Cat tidbits and thought I would post them. I'm actually a bit surprised at least one of the many UK table folk did not address your issue earlier. Surely, people in the trade would know what constitutes a proper BCE Westbury and/or would have insider contacts for info. I would think they would be checking this forum from time to time for business reasons. Best of luck with your table.

Austin

Comment

Originally Posted by williak View Post
                  Is this forum moderated? I posted a response to bricktip's question hours ago, but it hasn't yet appeared. I'm a new member if that makes any difference.

Austin
                  Try hitting F5
                  王可

Comment

Is it possible you didn't actually post it? Maybe try again.

Comment

Originally Posted by williak View Post
                      Bricktip,

R&W stood for Rice & Wallis, a wood-working company BCE subcontracted for various componentry. You may also find a cat figure embossed on BCE legs, indicating the Black Cat Company produced them for BCE. Source: Dave Nichols, BCE-UK, 2001.

Best of luck with your table.

Austin
                      Here it is, yes he posted it.
                      王可

Comment

I was under the impression he tried to post something else after that.

Comment

Stop arguing or I won't send you the mega driver!
                          王可

Comment

/jealous

Comment

Austin, it only took a few days for your posts to magically appear. I only just got an email notification on those thought to be lost posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X