Wrong Club!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Club!

Many years ago myself and another fitter turned up at Wakefield snooker club to do a couple of B&C's, unusually the cleaner who was in the club wasn't expecting us but allowed us in and we started to strip the tables. Bed cloth off I was just about to strip a cushion when the owner came in and asked WTF we were doing! The job sheet said Wakefield snooker club, the discussion at the workshop before we left was about Wakefield snooker club but we were at the wrong club!!! It turned out the owner of the club where we supposed to be was a Mr Wakefield hence the confusion when the job sheet was given to us. A quick negotiation and Wakefield snooker club got a B&C at a much reduced price............Oops!
    Billiard Fitters always have time for a nap!

LOL, the look on the club owner's face must have been precious but he got a good deal in the end... Btw, what's B&Cs?
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Bed and cushions.

Comment

Originally Posted by maryfield View Post
        Bed and cushions.
        Thanks!! ..
        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Ha ha. Thats a whoopsie if I've ever heard one.

Oh well, they got a good deal in the end, so everyone won (even if only a small win in your case).
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

They get better, I have a few more crackers to tell which I will share over a period of time! Wrong colour table for private house, three left corner legs (had to drill on site to suit),report of maggots coming from cloth, the discovery of a homemade chipboard frame when asked to move a table, the bogus relevel that satisifed the "best" player in the club. Lots of happy and interesting times to share!

Comment

would like to here the bogus re-level that satisfied the "best" player in the club the homemade frame sounds good as well :snooker:
              "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Thats happened to me too , in Derby Osmaston park club , and the fitter I was with said he had been before , so we turned up at a little hut in osmaston park , an old guy was allready there and said get on with it we are expecting you so we started to recover it , we had done the Cushions and nets and leathers , we where just about to start the bed cloth when a comittee man came in and said are you from A***** & P***** I was expecting you tommorow not today ? , no we are from Elston and Hopkin , it took a few mins before we all realised we where at the wrong club , But what a coincidence , both clubs had arranged a recover both clubs had torn cloths and the clubs where only 200 yards apart with just about the same names , we had to give the give the other firm a recover to do in our own snooker hall to compensate them and also let the Osmaston park club have the nets and leathers for free , but they did pay us for the recover .

Yes We too had a delivery of three left corner legs on an Enbild delivery for us to set up , But we set the table up on 7 legs and propped the one corner up on a 2 jacks , while the Driver from Enbild went back and met someone coming down from liverpool with the right leg , when he got back he was surpirised we had set it up on 7 legs and had finnished just about , we just moved the end section slightly to one side fitted the leg then slid it back onto the side frame and bolted up , and adjusted the corner for level and removed the jack , well we was not going to hang around doing nothing while he fetched the leg , that took just over 3 hours .

And yes I think many fitters have got a table level only for the best player in a club to moan (as most do ) jack table up take out toe leveling piece , take piece over to box pretend to put it in and pick another toe piece thinner or thicker , put same piece back under drop leg back down with jack , player takes a slow shot and says ...THATS MUCH BETTER !!!.... its Spot on now !!!
                Last edited by Geoff Large; 3 November 2011, 12:51 AM.
                [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Geoff has spoilt my bogus re-level story :-) well nearly! Pretty much as Geoff described apart that the "best" player insisted on seeing the bubble on my level! I had my rabone engineers level with me which believe it or not could be made to look a mile out to the uninitiated with a piece of paper under it! Well this would never satisfy old big head of the club, he never did realise though that a little pressure from my finger whilst holding the level and pushing it into the cloth made this table 100% spot on and he'd seen it with his own eyes..................no more complaints from him!!!!!!
                  Last edited by Ex Enbild Fitter; 5 November 2011, 09:05 PM.

Comment

"Homemade" I was asked as a favour to a farmer who was affording us some storage for slates at the time to go and give my opinion on a table he was planning to buy from a friend of a friend. I was shown a picture of a square legged table, unrecognisable as a known table to me, I contacted the seller and arranged to meet at his house. The seller met me and proudly showed me to the snooker room and then declared that he had made the table himself!
                    I took one look and realised that it was worthless apart to the owner. A quick look underneath revealed a frame made from melamine covered chipboard with side rails jointed in at least three places. The legs were hollow squares and everying was held together with glue, screws and an assortment of nuts and bolts. Fortunately there were no slates (it would never take the weight) the bed was chipboard sheets. The only genuine thing on this table were the cushions,pockets and cloth which the seller tells me he picked up for a bargain and made the table to suit! Not wanting to upset the seller I simply said I would report back on the condition of the table and made a hasty retreat.
                    Here's the fun part, our friend the farmer had more or less agreed to buy the table and didn't want to upset the seller by telling him it was a piece of junk fit only for firewood. We struck a deal and sold him a table discounted by the same price he had offered for the homemade job, I think it was £150. As part of the deal we actually "collected" the homemade table for him and the happy seller received £150! We binned the lot except the cushions, it was the easiest dismantle and move I have ever done in my life!!
                    Last edited by Ex Enbild Fitter; 12 November 2011, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ex Enbild Fitter View Post
                      "Homemade" I was asked as a favour to a farmer who was affording us some storage for slates at the time to go and give my opinion on a table he was planning to buy from a friend of a friend. I was shown a picture of a square legged table, unrecognisable as a known table to me, I contacted the seller and arranged to meet at his house. The seller met me and proudly showed me to the snooker room and then declared that he had made the table himself!
                      I took one look and realised that it was worthless apart to the owner. A quick look underneath revealed a frame made from melamine covered chipboard with side rails jointed in at least three places. The legs were hollow squares and everying was held together with glue, screws and an assortment of nuts and bolts. Fortunately there were no slates (it would never take the weight) the bed was chipboard sheets. The only genuine thing on this table was the cushions,pockets and cloth which the seller tells me he picked up for a bargain and made the table to suit! Not wanting to upset the seller I simply said I would report back on the condition of the table and made a hasty retreat.
                      Here's the fun part, our friend the farmer had more or less agreed to buy the table and didn't want to upset the seller by telling him it was a piece of junk fit only for firewood. We struck a deal and sold him a table discounted by the same price he had offered for the homemade job I think it was £150. As part of the deal we actually "collected" the homemade table for him and the happy seller received £150! We binned the lot except the cushions, it was the easiest dismantle and move I have ever done in my life!!
                      What a story God, what goes through some people minds lol :snooker:
                      "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Working...
                      X