No announcement yet.

Cox & Yeman pocket plates and nets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a broken brass plate I would always think about getting somebody who really knows his job to braze it together. I have had that done on brass and even though I knew where the repair was I couldn't see it! Also I seem to remember that ammonia darkens leather- but I can't remember where I heard that. With most staining jobs do a small area somewhere which won't show and see how it works before you do the whole job.
    王可

Comment

I just thought I would reply and keep the thread and posts up to date, sorry I did not do this sooner but things moved slow on this.

There where areas of the timber on the table that where badly damaged, when we stripped the varnish I took a decision on replacing the cushion cappings, this was mainly because of damage where the bolts go through the cushion to the brass plates and because of a poorly done restoration in the past where the person actually cut the brass plates into the top of some of the cushions. Doing this meant that I could replace the brass corner plates without having to worry about the location of the bolts, so I plugged the bolt holes from the underside and then re drilled the cushions for the new plates. I ordered a set of plates, darkened leathers and No1 nets so the pockets look similar to that of Geoff's example.

There ended up being one thing after another with this table, the buttons that where supposed to have existed did not so we had someone turn out new ones for the cushions and legs.
      I knew the table had got wet at some stage but I found out later it was actually submerged in water for some time when there was a flood where it was before it came over to Spain, it was possible to see where the timber had turned black where the frame bolts where located, it had stained right through the timber from the wet.

I will add a couple of images of the cushions to this post and then of the table on the next.

I would just like to thank everyone who offered help on the plates and for all the information everyone submitted.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mikebr; 16 June 2012, 10:17 PM. Reason: Attachments

Comment

Here are a couple of photos of the pockets and table after being restored, I personally would have preferred a colour just slightly darker than the mahogany timber but the table owner wanted to go dark:

Once again, thanks to everyone who offered help with the pocket plates.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mikebr; 16 June 2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

That looks very nice indeed, good job done there

Comment

That looks a wonderful job and from such damaged wood! Well done. Is there enough space in that room? Looks a bit cramped down that right hand side or is it just the camera angle?
            王可

Comment

Thanks, it certainly does look a lot better than it did before ;-)

I never mentioned it but two of the slates where also broken completely in half. To repair them I used the intact slates as a bed to get the broken slates into the correct position and flat before embedding reinforcing rods across the breaks. I then flipped the slates and did the same again for added strength. I put the slates into position then I ground the resin down and used CB filler to fill get a flat finish across the breaks... I was actually very pleased as to how well these repaired slates turned out. Unfortunately I have no image of the surface just before covering, just of the repair process before I rubbed down the filler and putting on the cloth.

philip in china,
              The room on both sides of the table is * just * enough for a full length cue apart from a 12" pillar on each side of the room although which would mean a slightly smaller cue for when the cue ball was against the cushion in front of these two pillars, hopefully that is something the owner won't run into very often.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mikebr; 17 June 2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X