No announcement yet.

Snooker table lights BUILT IN ?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker table lights BUILT IN ?????????

Im in the process of building a snooker room , the room is being built specifically for a snooker table but also a lounge at the one end. I want to put a TV on the wall at the end of the table but i dont want the table lights to obscure the view from the lounge end or from around the table. Im wondering if anyone has ever seen any table lit with downlights actually fitted into the ceiling. I Know where the table will be going so I was thinking I could put say 15 normal downlighters in the ceiling in pattern to cover the whole table. Would it work , anyone ever seen it done.

Any help also as to what table to buy , i dont have money to burn and I dont know anything about tables (im not that good at snooker, but hoping to get better) I dont want to either get ripped off or dont want to spend £ xxx if £xxxx would get me a much better table.

It could work if there was enough of them and they were powerful enough.

Don't think it would be as good as proper table lights, though.

Comment

Originally Posted by FOXMULDER View Post
      It could work if there was enough of them and they were powerful enough.

Don't think it would be as good as proper table lights, though.
      Hang 3 or 4 flourescent fixtures above the table with chains and hooks and use a light diffuser to distribute the light evenly. That way, you can adjust the table lighting to your needs once it's setup by moving hooks across the ceiling for slightly better coverage or bringing the light down. It's also a cheap way to get proper lighting on your table and you will have the option to adjust it easily.
      Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
      My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

As long as the light is evenly spread it should be fine, as you wouldn't want to end up with hot spots and dark spots on the table. Perhaps you could fit some of the tube lights with diffusers, but it might look a bit officy if they are in the ceiling itself.
        Last edited by bricktip; 27 April 2012, 08:25 AM. Reason: diffusers

Comment

I would ensure that the lighting for the table is good for the table and get a TV (LCD I think) that is best for handling bright conditions. If you change the lighting over the table to the negative, you will regret it every time you are playing. Get it right for the game from day one, not for the TV. This is a Snooker room not a TV rooom :snooker:
          How about sharing some pictures
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi DeanH , the issue isnt with the light shedding onto the TV , as the TV will be about 12 feet from the table. The problem is with a hanging light that will obscure the view of the TV . I would prefer it to be all about the table and not even have a tv in there , but unfortunatley theres a wife and two kids to consider. I worry that if they cant see the TV from the lounge area they will end up sitting on the table to watch TV.

Comment

Cheers Bricktip,
              are tube lights genrally better then than spots, I did wonder about using the lights you see advertised the thin modern looking ones rather than the coffin style , but I dont know how high off the table they would usually be , it they were high enought to the cieling , it maybe ok

Comment

Originally Posted by gamekeeper1212 View Post
                Cheers Bricktip,
                are tube lights genrally better then than spots, I did wonder about using the lights you see advertised the thin modern looking ones rather than the coffin style , but I dont know how high off the table they would usually be , it they were high enought to the cieling , it maybe ok
                I would say so, but i'm no expert. I think you'll find there are already some good threads on the subject in this forum, so you'll find a good solution.

One question: If you're playing, isn't that going to prevent the wife and kids being able to see the telly properly?

Comment

Originally Posted by gamekeeper1212 View Post
                  Hi DeanH , the issue isnt with the light shedding onto the TV , as the TV will be about 12 feet from the table. The problem is with a hanging light that will obscure the view of the TV . I would prefer it to be all about the table and not even have a tv in there , but unfortunatley theres a wife and two kids to consider. I worry that if they cant see the TV from the lounge area they will end up sitting on the table to watch TV.
                  no worries, got your message now
                  If you look into the new(ish) system that have been mentioned on TSF before (I will try to find one for you) these systems are about 5 feet ABOVE the table playing surface so should be well out of the way.

Comment

found them...
                    this one has details of the units you can get.
                    http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...671#post581671

and this one shows clearly the difference in lighting and the difference in the height above the table:
                    http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...950#post588950

Comment

Those units are what I'm getting for my room.

They'll be perfect for your request.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                        Those units are what I'm getting for my room.

They'll be perfect for your request.
                        (any piccies? )

Comment

Originally Posted by bricktip View Post
                          I would say so, but i'm no expert. I think you'll find there are already some good threads on the subject in this forum, so you'll find a good solution.

One question: If you're playing, isn't that going to prevent the wife and kids being able to see the telly properly?
                          Yes Im not thinking we will be using the room at the same time , Ill be playing snooker when the wife and kids are in bed.

Comment

(any piccies? )
                            Roof's not on yet Deano

The man upstairs doesn't want me to have a table it seems. Keeps sending torrents to the midlands.
                            The weather's put me back a month, I hoped to be finished, installed and furnished by July. Not likely now.

Comment

Thanks DeanH those lights look exactley what im after and if there installed in clubs then thats tried and tested. If the positioning is 5ft from the top of the table then they wont be in the way of anything. Spot on . Im in the same boat as pottr , my ground works are due to start Monday weather permitting. Im also looking for July completion and table in during August

Comment

Working...
                              X